Shenmue 3 a different game???

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 a different game???

Postby Snoopbob » Thu May 01, 2003 11:49 am

Hey people I love the new dojo. I was just thinking, have you noticed how different shenmue 1 is to shenmue 2 well I was thinking how different will shenmue 3 be to the rest it is really exciting to find out but the matter is when will we find out... :?
Snoopbob
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Silas » Thu May 01, 2003 12:05 pm

Well, there's different and there's different. Sure, Shenmue II was in a different setting and the game was three times the size. Also you had no trouble finding work, or getting someone to show you the way to a place. On the other hand, you couldn't buy, pick up or even look at nearly as much as in the first game. They bumped up the fighting quotient, but removed Forklift driving/races and the motorbike ride. (They even teased you with a shot of a forklift in the opening movie! Never see one again in the entire game.)

My fear is that the next Shenmue might well be different - in bad ways. Maybe they've reduced the animation and voiceover budget. Maybe there won't be any non-story NPCs at all! I've just been playing "Sony's Shenmue", Shadow of Destiny. Great storyline, but it's set in a bustling German town with a population of, like, eight. I would really hate Shenmue to go down that sort of path, just to get the game out quick. Sure, you can do the plot with just the story characters, no minigames and the loss of the through-animation ... but is it Shenmue? Not for me.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Araviel » Thu May 01, 2003 2:23 pm

I totally agree with u, Silas.
Of course, knowing what will happen to the main characters would be great, but without the right setting, without all them little things, it just wouldn't be SHENMUE as we know it, and love it....
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby TheMightyAquabat » Thu May 01, 2003 2:45 pm

Yesssss, well said Araviel.
TheMightyAquabat
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Paul » Thu May 01, 2003 2:50 pm

Shadow of memories/destiny was just wierd and slightly creepy!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Louis » Thu May 01, 2003 3:33 pm

shenmue III will use the same engin as shenmue I and II, maybe slightly nicer graphics and small additions but sega already invested like $7 million in shenmue, and as its not doing terrably well theres no point in making a new engin. any way, whats wrong with the current one?
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ckmike » Thu May 01, 2003 3:39 pm

test
ckmike
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Shenmueplaya » Thu May 01, 2003 3:49 pm

Louis wrote:shenmue III will use the same engin as shenmue I and II, maybe slightly nicer graphics and small additions but sega already invested like $7 million in shenmue, and as its not doing terrably well theres no point in making a new engin. any way, whats wrong with the current one?

70 million. Also, its doing that well as everyone expected, sure it recieved critics claim but it hasn't sold so well. They probably will just improve the current engine and use the current style of gameplay.
Shenmueplaya
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Miles Prower » Thu May 01, 2003 3:50 pm

I just hope Shenmue 2 Disc 4 isn't a sign of what S3 will be like-not that I hate that section, I just don't want it to be as simpilistic as that the whole time.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Louis » Thu May 01, 2003 6:32 pm

Shenmueplaya wrote:
Louis wrote:shenmue III will use the same engin as shenmue I and II, maybe slightly nicer graphics and small additions but sega already invested like $7 million in shenmue, and as its not doing terrably well theres no point in making a new engin. any way, whats wrong with the current one?

70 million. Also, its doing that well as everyone expected, sure it recieved critics claim but it hasn't sold so well. They probably will just improve the current engine and use the current style of gameplay.

i know the figure had a 7 in it, but 70 million is a lot of money, are you sure?
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby santino » Thu May 01, 2003 7:29 pm

yea i read 70 million somewhere, most expensive game ever
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Louis » Thu May 01, 2003 7:44 pm

did it make 70 mil back from profits?
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gutcruncher » Thu May 01, 2003 8:44 pm

Louis wrote:did it make 70 mil back from profits?

I dont think so, but i dont know
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmueplaya » Thu May 01, 2003 8:51 pm

Louis wrote:did it make 70 mil back from profits?

Sadly, It didn't. It is in the Guiness Book of World Records though.
Shenmueplaya
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Louis » Fri May 02, 2003 4:47 am

ok, so thats why i doubt they will invest in a new engin if theyve already lost like 70 million
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III