Fist of the North Star series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Fist of the North Star series

Postby OL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Just stumbled across this. And surprisingly, the dialogue in the teaser is in English, which obviously says good things about a potential localization.
Haven't seen any actual footage from the game yet, but if it's anything like the first, then it's already bought.
Still haven't finished the first game (got about 3/4 through), but goddamn, did I ever love what I played of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUhjMji6UY[/youtube]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Fist of the North Star series

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah was posted in the E3 topic at E3. I still need to get Last Battle on Genesis.
Never saw the anime but saw the shitty US 90's movie.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Tuffty » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Judging by the teaser, looks like Kaioh will be the next big bad boss. I can't comment as I haven't seen anything further than Raoh but it sounds like bullshit. "Oh you thought Raoh was the strongest guy on the planet, well what about his secret brother that nobody in the series, including Raoh, has ever mentioned until now." So yeh, I dunno.

Really enjoyed Ken's Rage for all it was. One of those games that you would consider a decent 6 or 7/10 but can add another point on there if you're a fan of the series like I am. The thing I liked about Kens Rage was that each punch or kick you made looked like it hurt so I hope they can keep that but maybe speed up the combat just a little bit.

Also, shoutout to the soundtrack as well. I like this type of music anyway so you know a game's good when even the character select screen has you head banging.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJrwBHx4js[/youtube]
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Tuffty wrote:One of those games that you would consider a decent 6 or 7/10 but can add another point on there if you're a fan of the series like I am.

Nah, no numbers for me. Instead, I'd call it "Super-Fun Badassery/Fun-Ass Awesomeness".
Still don't know why anyone deals with numbers anymore.
Technical aspects and budgetary concerns aside, a 6 or 7/10 doesn't even begin to describe the actual enjoyment I got out of playing the game.

But yeah, the soundtrack was absolutely excellent. Alongside Guilty Gear 2: Overture, I consider it to have one of the greatest metal soundtracks in videogame history. Can't wait to hear more with the sequel.

Bluecast wrote:Yeah was posted in the E3 topic at E3. I still need to get Last Battle on Genesis.
Never saw the anime but saw the shitty US 90's movie.

Exactly why I'm never a fan of every single bit of E3-related announcements being corralled and stuck in the E3 topic, with no exceptions. If an announcement is made that I'd be particularly interested in, chances are I won't see it since it's all book-ended by blather about other stuff.

I never saw the anime either, but I think I'm more interested in reading the comic myself. Too bad the english collections of them on amazon are all so expensive.
Luckily, I thought Ken's Rage actually covered the story really well. I wasn't previously familiar with any of it, but I never felt lost while playing the game.
Any thoughts on that Tuffty?
I enjoyed it regardless, but is it a particularly good adaptation or no?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:52 pm

You responded to it :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:05 pm

What?
Well then that's the problem. One slight mention and it disappears forever. Exactly why specific topics are better.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Be keeping the E3 every year topic. before that people just spammed the forum. It looked like what Supa used to do in SEGA. over a hundred topics. No way going back to that.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Cave Johnson » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 am

Oh hell yeah! I didn't know about this until your post OL. I'm picking this one up first day release!
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Tuffty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 am

OL wrote:I never saw the anime either, but I think I'm more interested in reading the comic myself. Too bad the english collections of them on amazon are all so expensive.
Luckily, I thought Ken's Rage actually covered the story really well. I wasn't previously familiar with any of it, but I never felt lost while playing the game.
Any thoughts on that Tuffty?
I enjoyed it regardless, but is it a particularly good adaptation or no?

I thought it covered the story really well. It glossed over certain characters and events but I think only the diehards like me would be the ones to notice. But that you were able to enjoy the story, not having read the manga or seen the anime, I think is testament to how well it was told.

Would have liked to have played the PS2 fighting game made by Arc System Works as well. It sounds ridiculous though, like infinite combos and juggling, but it has it's little nods to the source material that fans would be appreciative of as well. Like if you try certain moves on Thouzer, they do no damage at all as is true in the manga. Then there's a move that only Shin has that makes him commit suicide by jumping off the stage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8zx9qxCSvM[/youtube]
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 am

Ah, sweet. Didn't even know Arc made a Hokuto game. Those sprites look great, and of course that move is utterly unique and original. Looks like that would have been a blast to play.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 am

the music in that trailer is pretty boss :)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm

^^It's actually the intro music for the first Ken's Rage. Easily among my favorite intro videos of this generation, and yeah, the music is absolutely a contributing factor in that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qR8mv9b5k[/youtube]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm

I vaguely remember watching a few eps of the fist of the north star anime, and all I can remember is that it was bad ass.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 am

With the comic going for such high prices, I decided to go ahead and order the first volume of the tv series on DVD just now instead. I've been meaning to get into the full story. I figure I'll progressively watch the majority of the tv series (at least as much as is covered in the game) and then go back and finally finish Ken's Rage.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:14 am

:lol: I dare you to watch the 90's live action american film.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to General Gaming