What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Bluecast » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:09 pm

AG will be happy I'm finally playing this and yes it takes a shit load from Star trek
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:30 am

Just AG?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 am

Whore! AG needs some cred every so often.

If you want to get Techical Yukio told me about the series in 2004. So neener neener neener!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Rakim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 am

I'm going to give this a whirl later today. Its gonna be fun starting to delve into series that haven't made it to the US.
Although, this particular game has been translated. I think its the only game in the entire series to be brought over so there will be tons more to dig into.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 am

Jake Hunter did have on game on DS come to the US
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Rakim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 am

I mentioned that in my post :roll:
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:06 am

Rakim wrote:I mentioned that in my post :roll:

You said " I think" so I was just confirming it for ya. That's all. I remember being hyped for it as then I was coming off AA series. The bad reviews deterred me. Back when I cared what reviews said.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm

^^They also came out with a re-translated version called Memories of the Past, which included all of the content from the first Jake Hunter release (which was reviewed badly) with a better translation, as well as a lot of new content that had been cut.
I've got Memories of the Past, but the only thing deterring me from playing it is the fact that the whole thing is so "localized", with all the characters and locations receiving new names and whatnot. It worked fine with Phoenix Wright, but that was because it was so comedically-inclined, but this one definitely isn't. So I keep feeling like I'll be distracted by none of it being true to the original Japanese game.
It's just weird, Aksys is usually so great otherwise with their translations. Not sure why they didn't just keep it "Jinguji Saburo".
I'll still play it eventually, that bit just irks me a little.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

OL wrote:^^They also came out with a re-translated version called Memories of the Past, which included all of the content from the first Jake Hunter release (which was reviewed badly) with a better translation, as well as a lot of new content that had been cut.
I've got Memories of the Past, but the only thing deterring me from playing it is the fact that the whole thing is so "localized", with all the characters and locations receiving new names and whatnot. It worked fine with Phoenix Wright, but that was because it was so comedically-inclined, but this one definitely isn't. So I keep feeling like I'll be distracted by none of it being true to the original Japanese game.
It's just weird, Aksys is usually so great otherwise with their translations. Not sure why they didn't just keep it "Jinguji Saburo".

How would a game called: "Jinguji Saburo" sell in the US/EU markets, though?

Been playing Growlanser IV for PSP and it's amazing, great RPG with a unique battle system (Real time strategy fused with tactical turn-based; but without the grids). The story is cracking and it's pretty much a 32 bit game, so it's rather nostalgic in that *this could be a game for the Sega Saturn even though it's not* sort of way. Loving it.

It's a very different Strategy RPG from Gungnir, which is also similarly brilliant.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm

OL wrote:^^They also came out with a re-translated version called Memories of the Past, which included all of the content from the first Jake Hunter release (which was reviewed badly) with a better translation, as well as a lot of new content that had been cut.

You're reaching the point where I think you just need to learn Japanese. There is a thing as too much localization like changing Kama-Itachi to Scythe Weasel and being to literal with translations but sometimes the whole things needs to change because thats what localization is. Kinnikuman is a prime example, it has NOAH jokes about Kenta Kobashi and Giant Baba. Things that are considered niche even in Japan, so making those jokes into Hulk Hogan and Dusty Rhodes references makes more sense and fits the subject matter. I understand you'd like those jokes to remain pure, but there isn't really any way to take a pun that specifically funny because two japanese words sound alike and make it english, so I think you should try and learn the language so that you can avoid other people's interpretations and keep it pure which is what you seem to want.

Henry Spencer wrote:How would a game called: "Jinguji Saburo" sell in the US/EU markets, though?

Been playing Growlanser IV for PSP and it's amazing, great RPG with a unique battle system (Real time strategy fused with tactical turn-based; but without the grids). The story is cracking and it's pretty much a 32 bit game, so it's rather nostalgic in that *this could be a game for the Sega Saturn even though it's not* sort of way. Loving it.

It's a very different Strategy RPG from Gungnir, which is also similarly brilliant.

I keep thinking I have a Growlanser for Saturn but when I look its Langrisser, which I wish would get released in English.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 am

^^It isn't little pop culture references I'm bothered by. I expect those to be changed (I'd rather they weren't, in general, since I usually end up learning something out of it, but the change is to be expected anyway, and like you said is sometimes absolutely necessary).
The thing I'm bothered by is the names and locations. Changing Jinguji Saburo into Jake Hunter doesn't just change his name, it changes his entire ethnicity. And along with that, they also end up altering location names, thereby making it so the game technically isn't even based in Japan anymore. It's just always struck me as too much alteration, when there's honestly no need to change the characters and locations like that.
Puns, in-jokes, and pop culture references?
Fine, change away. That's just how things work.
But the actual identities of the characters, and the culture that the story actually inhabits?
That's probably a little far.

Henry Spencer wrote:How would a game called: "Jinguji Saburo" sell in the US/EU markets, though?

No worse than a Shenmue, Solatorobo, or Shin Megami Tensei, I'd think. I don't imagine they expected it to be a million-seller to begin with. They knew it was destined to be niche. That's primarily what Aksys deals in.
I wouldn't expect them to actually retain that title anyway; I just meant that the character's name should remain. They could call the game anything they want. They were already going to use "Detective Chronicles" and "Memories of the Past". Those seem as good as any.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:49 am

Ni No Kuni doesn't exactly fly off the western tongue either
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:45 am

OL wrote:^^It isn't little pop culture references I'm bothered by. I expect those to be changed (I'd rather they weren't, in general, since I usually end up learning something out of it, but the change is to be expected anyway, and like you said is sometimes absolutely necessary).
The thing I'm bothered by is the names and locations. Changing Jinguji Saburo into Jake Hunter doesn't just change his name, it changes his entire ethnicity. And along with that, they also end up altering location names, thereby making it so the game technically isn't even based in Japan anymore. It's just always struck me as too much alteration, when there's honestly no need to change the characters and locations like that.
Puns, in-jokes, and pop culture references?
Fine, change away. That's just how things work.
But the actual identities of the characters, and the culture that the story actually inhabits?
That's probably a little far.

No worse than a Shenmue, Solatorobo, or Shin Megami Tensei, I'd think. I don't imagine they expected it to be a million-seller to begin with. They knew it was destined to be niche. That's primarily what Aksys deals in.
I wouldn't expect them to actually retain that title anyway; I just meant that the character's name should remain. They could call the game anything they want. They were already going to use "Detective Chronicles" and "Memories of the Past". Those seem as good as any.

Well like I said there are some pretty extreme cases, I'd imagine Stein's gate would get butchered as badly as Lux Pain. There are point where they can't figure out where they are. At first they say they're in america, but the town has a japanese name, then they mention an artist going to japan to study and the name of the town he studies at is the name of the town you're in. Then theres always stuff like blackface Mark. I'm not really behind that kind of localization, changing ethnicities and such really defeats the whole point of bringing it over.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Bluecast wrote:Image

AG will be happy I'm finally playing this and yes it takes a shit load from Star trek

and thus how i knew it would always be a perfect match for you. ;-)

but tbh it doesnt take that much from star trek once you get further into the game. just remember that the game can be played multiple times interchanging characters that you kept in your party or declined, and the story changes based on that. You want a real star trek esque eperience, Xenosaga, although all the Xeno games I have played so far, including blade seem like that have one part or area that seems like its some how influenced by star trek.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 pm

I am so upset right now, I have tried beating Nier 3 times but every time it won't recognize the name your suppose to type in, and I know its just the name you used for your character. So I have played trough the Shadowlord's Castle 3 times now and the glitch happens every time. Guess I will try it once more sometime and if not then I guess I won't see the first ending or any of the other 3.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming