Is there anything else like Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Is there anything else like Shenmue?

Postby Silas » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:07 am

Shodan wrote:I think Silent Hill 2 has a similar "feeling" to Shenmue, the way the cutscenes are and the music in those cutscenes just really remind me of Shenmue, however the survival horror nature of the gameplay is quite different to Shenmue.

Unfortunately there are few games like Shenmue, which is another reason why Shenmue is so amazing.
The music in Silent Hill 2 is very good indeed. What annoys me about SH2 (and SH3, for which they managed to improve the graphics - something I thought was impossible on the PS2) is that the main characters are beautifully rendered and well animated, and OK, sometimes when James stoops to pick something up, it looks a little contrived in the way it just disappears - but why don't they animate opening doors? It is the single event that occurs more than any other in the Silent Hill games. Frequently the sound of the door opening happens before the image has faded, and clearly the character didn't even move. Blackout. Sound of door opening and shutting. Fade up on James standing on the other side of the door. It's SO ANNOYING!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Veteah » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:18 am

Shadow of Destiny

Shenmue

You san see which is better!

As for silent hill that got on my nerves so much I don't touch the game!
Veteah
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:52 am

Another one would be "dead to rights"...
<br>
http://www.deadtorights.com
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:44 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:Another one would be "dead to rights"...
<br>

You know, I brought Dead To Rights up at the old forums because of some screen shots I saw in OXM (one shows the main character fighting hand to hand at a WAREHOUSE of all places---how more Shenmue-like can you get!) and other members shot it down saying that it's nothing like Shenmue.

I guess the obvious difference is that it is more action oriented and features weapons, right?
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:02 pm

Shadow of MEMORIES is, in my opinion, shenmue but without the fighting with a silent hill style brain hurting storyline, with some cool time travel puzzles thrown in. Just a question, was this game made by the same team at konami who made silent hill 'cause I do think they're really similar. It can get annoying and the gameplay is much less fluid than shenmue, and like silent hil I can only really understand 70% of the story, with some important gaps in what I get and what I don't get. I think it might be something about konami 'cause I find metal gear solid 1+2 to be equally as confusing.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:06 pm

Jacob Marley wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote:Another one would be "dead to rights"...
<br>

You know, I brought Dead To Rights up at the old forums because of some screen shots I saw in OXM (one shows the main character fighting hand to hand at a WAREHOUSE of all places---how more Shenmue-like can you get!) and other members shot it down saying that it's nothing like Shenmue.

I guess the obvious difference is that it is more action oriented and features weapons, right?

The main character wears a brown leather jacket while trying to avenge his fathers murder doesn't he? and I've heard there are QTE'S (involving a stripper?!)? How fast can I say RIPOFF! I'll prob'ly buy it though!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:07 pm

I forgot to mention the japanese "Seven Mansions". It partly looks a little bit like shenmue...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bros Li » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:22 pm

well in dead to right, jack the main hero wears 3 diffrent clothes in the game, he only wears the leather jacket in 1 chapter i think, and yea its lot of mini games, but not really resemblence with shenmue at all. everytime you empty a gun you throw it away, so you use the hand to hand attacks to punch the enemy and grab his gun.
Bros Li
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ::RFY:: » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:52 pm

not to rag on Dead to Rights or anything, but I just thought the game was too shallow and repetant for me. I prefer Hitman over Dead to Rights, or Max Payne
::RFY::
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bros Li » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:58 pm

i liked max payne ,played it when it was released for pc, needless to say its not a masterwork but its a decent game
Bros Li

Postby Ichi-Ban-San » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:38 pm

I bought Shadow of Memories today. I've not played it but im hoping that its good!

I know it wont be anything near as good as Shenmue... nothing is!
Ichi-Ban-San
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Location: Darkest Hampshire, Somewhere south of mighty London

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:11 am

There's a game called "Prisoner of War" for the Xbox and PS2 which plays like a cross between Shenmue and Metal Gear Solid. Controls just like Shenmue, you walk around talking to people like in shenmue, but you sneak around like metal gear solid. No fights or GTE's, the most violent you can get is throwing a rock at a guard. Nowhere near as good as Shenmue, but I enjoyed it.
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby TEEPO™ » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:28 pm

The Nomad Soul is a decent game. The graphics are poor--but does that matter? It's like Shenmue except it takes place in a futuristic city.
Morrowind is ok--lots of freedom. If you like the kind of investigating and puzzle solving, try Broken Sword one and two or Escape from Monkey Island--keep in mind, there not action games.

TEEPO™ has received a thanks from: QWERTY
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Ichi-Ban-San » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:48 pm

Shadow of Memories..... good but nowhere near good enough. It took me a total of FIVE FUCKING HOURS to go through the game once. Jeeze!

The game has real potential but the sluggish PS2 graphics really let it down. It definatly shouldve been developed by a competant softwear company because it has not been done justice at all.

I will either sell this game or hide it away somewhere after the rest of the endings because it has virtually no replay value whatsoever. There is no freedom either. The gameplay could NOT be more lineier.
Ichi-Ban-San
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Location: Darkest Hampshire, Somewhere south of mighty London

Shadow of Memories sucks.

Postby Shodan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:24 pm

Ichi-Ban-San wrote:Shadow of Memories..... good but nowhere near good enough. It took me a total of FIVE FUCKING HOURS to go through the game once. Jeeze!

The game has real potential but the sluggish PS2 graphics really let it down. It definatly shouldve been developed by a competant softwear company because it has not been done justice at all.

I will either sell this game or hide it away somewhere after the rest of the endings because it has virtually no replay value whatsoever. There is no freedom either. The gameplay could NOT be more lineier.

lol. Yeah Shadow of Memories/Destiny really is pants isn't it? I put it down after about half an hour from starting cos it was just so poor of a game -thank god I borrowed my friend's copy instead of buying it myself!

Before I played it I actually didn't know it was similar to Shenmue, but afterwards it was like "Ahh jeez, this complete Shenmue clone totally sucks." ect

The Silent Hill games are a much better alternative, though the gameplay is quite different to Shenmue's.
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue