What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Spokane » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:02 am

Yeah, I have the Fallout 3 GOTYE and all is on the disc too.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby QWERTY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:52 am

Ico HD. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about tbh.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:55 am

QWERTY™ wrote: Ico HD. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about tbh.

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Millim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 pm

OL wrote: ^^You should really play the Old World Blues expansion. It's absolutely excellent. Funny, clever, well-thought-out. I'd almost say it's better than the main game itself. Maybe a little wordy, but the dialogue is all absolutely worth listening to.
One of the best expansion packs I've ever played.

I've got all the expansions, but the only one I have completed is Honest Hearts. I remember starting OWB once but the game froze on me after the long 30 minute conversation you have.
Millim
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Xbox Noob
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3

Postby OL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Just beat Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, and I'm actually kind of floored by how good it turned out to be.
Like I said before, I expected it to be little more than a sort of "B-grade" shooter.Never heard any hype for it whatsoever. I played the demo before and liked it well enough, but still wasn't convinced that it would leave any kind of impression.
The game is actually very much a hybrid shooter/beat-em-up, a bit like Dead to Rights: Retribution in a way. But rather than being a cover shooter, this one is strictly run-n-gun. And instead of the melee combat feeling like something along the lines of Godhand, it's much closer to something like Dynasty Warriors, pitting you against large hordes of enemies all at once. And it all flows together seemlessly, just about as smoothly as a hybrid of this kind could ever feel.
One thing I love about the melee combat is the process of performing executions on enemies to regain health. Your character is very vulnerable much of the time, and his health chips away pretty quickly, so when you're surrounded by enemies and hacking away at them, it's important to occasionally stun an enemy so you can perform an execution and regain your life bar. It's great because rather than simple tearing through your opponents without a care in the world (as in most Koei slashers), your character is almost constantly near death, which necessitates a bit more strategy in timing your moves and executions together. It keeps the action intense, and keeps the adrenaline flowing.
Otherwise the story is competent enough, the graphics look great considering this obviously isn't a triple-A sort of title, and it plays with virtually no glitches or hiccups at all (not that I could find at least). There's the very occasional bit of variety when they game goes rail shooter, or when it equips you with a jetpack, and it's actually a bit longer than I was expecting (not sure of the actual timeframe, but I was expecting the game to end around the third act, but it continued for two more after that; a pleasant surprise).
It's a surprisingly rock-solid game all around. I usually expect western-made games to have bugs-aplenty, even if only from a graphical standpoint, but everything about this one is really technically sound. The artistic design is great as well, and the gameplay is unique enough that the game can't really be properly lumped in with every other shooter out there.
An easy recommendation. :nice!:

OL has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:02 pm

I thought it was a cracking little game but not one of the top 10 best ever games which it always seems to creep up in. I much preferred SotC and loved the look of Last Guardian.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am

ICO is dreamy.
clunky as it might be at times it's one of the most magical journeys the medium as to offer.
i'm forever trapped in that castle.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby QWERTY » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:09 am

Riku Rose wrote:

I thought it was a cracking little game but not one of the top 10 best ever games which it always seems to creep up in. I much preferred SotC and loved the look of Last Guardian.

While it's a nice little game, and I do appreciate a break from the norm, I can't help but feel having to fend off those little black bastards every time you discover a new area feels a little bit like padding out the longevity of the game somewhat. SotC is great though.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 am

QWERTY™ wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

While it's a nice little game, and I do appreciate a break from the norm, I can't help but feel having to fend off those little black bastards every time you discover a new area feels a little bit like padding out the longevity of the game somewhat. SotC is great though.

ICO is a virutal trip back to your childhood dreams... if you had dreams like that. If you didn't, you will just find a shitty little platformer.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 am

nothing shitty about it.
Ico is supposed to be a resilient boy but just a boy regardless hence the way he controls.
besides that i see nothing controversial about it's plataforming.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 am

ThyDarkAngel wrote: nothing shitty about it.
Ico is supposed to be a resilient boy but just a boy regardless hence the way he controls.
besides that i see nothing controversial about it's plataforming.

It's a very clunky, short and simple platformer on technical terms alone and - objectively - I would call it shitty for a game that came out in 2001.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 am

go... go... go stick it in a colossus!!

:)
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 pm

I just finished Deus Ex and am testing Catherine for a while now. After that I'll probably go through Deus Ex : Human Revolution again including the "Missing Link" DLC which I bought recently. I refused to buy it initially since I found it overpriced. But now it cost 2 euro so I didn't doubt much since I liked the main game.
Last edited by ys on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Spokane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Dorian wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

ICO is a virutal trip back to your childhood dreams... if you had dreams like that. If you didn't, you will just find a shitty little platformer.

I just played it for the first time a few months ago and loved it. I just proved your argument invalid.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Spokane wrote:
Dorian wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

I just played it for the first time a few months ago and loved it. I just proved your argument invalid.

Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming