What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am

I personally question this whole "Resident Evil has betrayed oldschool RE fans" thing. Yes, the classic ones had a tense atmosphere and 'scare factor' (and much better storyline) that RE4-et al do not. How much of that is honestly down to the controls/camera angles, though? In the original game, a Hunter makes me shit my pants. Especially when I can't see it. I hear that shriek, and immediately start running. Thing is, Mr. Hunter can make his way around flawlessly and with ease, whereas I struggle not to run into walls and such.

Then there's the pant-wetting boss battles of the old games. All the more scary because you can't just avoid them. They have to be defeated. Aiming is a bitch, sometimes even seeing where you're going/the location of the boss is a hazard in itself. We came to love these elements, but we've forgotten about how they made the game. All those things are core to a horror film, as well. An assailant who cannot be seen, protagonists who can't aim for shit, etc.

Even with the scarcity of ammo, gimme RE5 perspective/controls/etc in RE1 and I'll breeze through it, headshots all the way. Thus diminishing the horror-factor. For me, Resident Evil (as a storyline) ceases to exist after Nemesis (or at an absolute stretch - CODE: Veronica). The storyline just got ridiculous, it wasn't scary anymore, etc.

For my money, you only need to look at the title to see RE6 isn't going to be all-conquering. It's a story-based franchise that hasn't had any good story for the last three major instalments. It's reached it's sixth instalment, and third pointless-one-in-a-row as far as the storyline is concerned. I bet it ends with a cliffhanger for RE7.

That's not to say it's a bad game, I would just personally call it a bad Resident Evil game. But that's because I have a very set image in my mind when I think of RE, and ever since RE4 the games haven't matched the image or the certain kind of 'experience' that I expect.

The nearest any post-fixed camera angle/tank controls RE got to horror was one of the canned version of RE4, dubbed the 'Hook Man' version, which I'm sure you've all seen by now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN31-3og5SI[/youtube]

In my opinion, all these other ones could have just as easily been different IPs about zombies. Still, gotta love cash cows.

Martin has received a thanks from: Dorian
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby ys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am

I loved that RE 3.5 material. It was a different vibe but I would have been curious to test it. I've mentioned this before but I never understood Capcom's rationale regarding zombies in RE4. They didn't want any but they throw away a more ghostly version and then have a final release that has more zombielike enemies infected by a virus.
I laughed when you killed the first enemy and it says something like "It's not a zombie". It felt like they REALLY wanted to make it clear to us :lol: I played through the game several times though so it's not like I dislike it.

It's an interesting point regarding the control scheme by the way. I read a review before of Alan Wake where the reviewer mentioned that the game was too well made for its own good. Making the point that a part of survival horror was actually the tension that came from feeling a bit limited by the control scheme. So in a way progress wasn't beneficial for the feel of horror games.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am

Martin, I just read your post, and I gotta ask... Were you pissed when you wrote it? Fair enough, you can see both sides of the argument, but the whole thing reads like you're proving yourself wrong. Either that or you have MPD.

I mean, to say that you question the notion that Capcome betrayed RE's core fan base, and then explain why they have betrayed them doesn't really make any sense...

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Martin
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I am disgusted with the RE6 demo.

What the fuck happened? This is the most expensive game of this generation? The graphics are a puke-inducing mix of things genuinely good with things that are piss-poor. I can't believe I'm seeing so many good textures and models mixed with equal amounts of shitty texture and models. That's not the worst part, though. The graphics lack coherence and inspiration. The art direction is just god-awful.

Then again, PS3 already struggles to run this. MGS: GZ on this hardware? Gimped MGS: GZ, Kojima forgot to add.

But going back to RE6 - it plays OKish. I can't call it unplayable, but I don't like how it plays. The zoomed camera makes me want to punch kittens, the flashy context animations get old very fast, the HUD is retarded and the game holds your hand all the fucking time. There's even an indicator of how many meters are left to your destination. That, coupled with very small locations and corridor-like nature of the game, makes a very boring experience even if you're supposed to be fighting for survival all the time. Oh, and this is a fact ever since RE5, but the current co-op mechanics kill the whole horror atmosphere.

I have to add one more thing - there's something terribly wrong with the cutscenes direction. It's one big mess. It looks as if the camera guy was a monkey and the director was drunk.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Dev teams tend to use lower quality textures for demos anyway in order to cut the size of the download, so don't judge the look of the game on a demo. Ubisoft even cut out non-lethal takedown animations from the SC: Blacklist E3 demo (although I think they said that was because they're unfinished atm) It's all about cutting it down to as small a size as possible. Not played it yet though, so I can't comment on the gameplay or directorial aspects.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Dev teams tend to use lower quality textures for demos anyway in order to cut the size of the download, so don't judge the look of the game on a demo.

The game leaked in Poland weeks ago (German copies were being sold despite the embargo). The reports say that it's the exact same quality as the demo.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah, I heard about that. Still, they're obviously not the finished product that will be up for sale in stores. Not unless Capcom really have lost their mind this time.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:00 pm

:lol:
I replayed the demo yesterday and ended up liking it more. I just had to get used to the controls and the way things move in general, which is clearly different from the two previous games. Dodging becomes very important in the more actionous areas, which I wasn't used to.
But yeah, some problems still very much exist. I do hate how close the camera is to the characters (they basically block an entire half of the damn screen). And yeah, the context actions are pretty dumb much of the time (the sequence where I have to look for the keys in a cop car was just... awkward, and slower than it should have been). I also noticed that it's oddly much harder to notice it when you've been hit this time around. It was always obvious in earlier games, because it was supposed to be a rare occurrence if you're playing properly. You get hit, your character shows it. But now it seems like the characters just kind of shrug most things off, which means you really have to pay close attention to the life bar, since you likely won't immediately realize it when you're low on health.
Art direction isn't something I'm going to complain about because, let's face it, this isn't Shadow of the Colossus we're talking about. This is a game that takes place in the modern, "real" world, and as such the design aspects are pretty limited. Characters wear generally realistic clothing while running around in environments that resemble reality (if torn up by mutants and zombies). So it's just one of those "whatever" things to me. I did like the giant mutant in Chris's stage though. I'm sure there will be more stuff like that in the full game.

I'll likely be getting this at launch, mainly just because it'll be another good co-op game to play with my brother online. We've been waiting for something good to come along for a while now, and there just aren't enough quality co-op games on PS3.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:03 pm

RE lost it after the 3rd game, if your after a good game series then play rayman origins.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Well the rayman series in general.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby OL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 pm

That was... possibly the most random recommendation I've ever seen.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Who Really Cares?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Haha! Innit. Like recommending Age of Empires to someone on the basis that they like Kinect Sports...

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Back to Banjo Kazooie N&B and typical of the game stuck on a mission for ages, quick change here and there and boom do it without any problems.

Also made a boat that completely smoked the other racers.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yeah, I heard about that. Still, they're obviously not the finished product that will be up for sale in stores. Not unless Capcom really have lost their mind this time.

My guess is that Capcom will patch it on day of release. Seems to be the norm nowadays. #-o
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 pm

OL wrote: :lol:
I replayed the demo yesterday and ended up liking it more. I just had to get used to the controls and the way things move in general, which is clearly different from the two previous games. Dodging becomes very important in the more actionous areas, which I wasn't used to.
But yeah, some problems still very much exist. I do hate how close the camera is to the characters (they basically block an entire half of the damn screen). And yeah, the context actions are pretty dumb much of the time (the sequence where I have to look for the keys in a cop car was just... awkward, and slower than it should have been). I also noticed that it's oddly much harder to notice it when you've been hit this time around. It was always obvious in earlier games, because it was supposed to be a rare occurrence if you're playing properly. You get hit, your character shows it. But now it seems like the characters just kind of shrug most things off, which means you really have to pay close attention to the life bar, since you likely won't immediately realize it when you're low on health.
Art direction isn't something I'm going to complain about because, let's face it, this isn't Shadow of the Colossus we're talking about. This is a game that takes place in the modern, "real" world, and as such the design aspects are pretty limited. Characters wear generally realistic clothing while running around in environments that resemble reality (if torn up by mutants and zombies). So it's just one of those "whatever" things to me. I did like the giant mutant in Chris's stage though. I'm sure there will be more stuff like that in the full game.

I'll likely be getting this at launch, mainly just because it'll be another good co-op game to play with my brother online. We've been waiting for something good to come along for a while now, and there just aren't enough quality co-op games on PS3.

I was replaying the demo over and over again just out of boredom (I had to oversee the kernel update process for my Ubuntu-running laptop so I couldn't play anything for real). The gameplay mechanics stopped being 'new' after 30 minutes. I have no issues with controlling this game. It's actually extremely easy to play now. They took extra effort to make it as painless as possible, and no, it's not just the demo. Reports from the full game state that everything is straightforward, corridor-like, foolproof and with a checkpoint every few steps.

I don't like this game overall, not because of some idiosyncrasies concerning the controls, lol. The game feels like a mess. There's no coherence to... anything. You just keep running where the game tells you to while everything blows up and/or is gunned down. Leon's scenario only pretends it's a survival horror. It actually plays like a slowed down shooter. This is yet another example of mixing conflicting gameplay ideas because of idiotic vision of making everybody happy. Within one game engine, you need to focus your vision and make a great game within the given context. It is stupid to make 'multi-audience' games because that always comes off as half-assed.

The art direction was extremely important in RE with the 2D backgrounds. They are incredible and stand as legendary in the video game history museums. Even after going into 3D, there was a lot of art-awareness at Capcom. They were creating all these modern settings destroyed by biohazards, but they were making it with style (RE: CV, RE4).

RE5 started the road to genericness, but it was still enjoyable in its own right. RE6? Here something broke down. The game looks, plays and feels disjointed, generic and crude.

Even if I was millionaire, I wouldn't buy this on launch. Capcom doesn't deserve it IMO. I'm so disappointed with them...
Last edited by Dorian on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming