What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: I wonder if there's a way to play Policenauts and Snatcher on iPad..

there are emulators for iphone and ipad, you might have to jailbreak it though
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:50 am

Played about an hour of Bioshock last week after seeing a trailer for Infinite but really haven't got the itch to play anything at the moment. Got two weeks off work soon so maybe I'll get back into it then.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mue 26 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:29 pm

I've been playing a bit of El Shaddai recently. It's pretty great. It seems like every Japanese action game has been looking towards the Bible for inspiration when it comes to monsters for the longest time now, usually throwing a few deformed cherubs in our direction to slaughter or something. So I think it's only right that El Shaddai takes the biblical influence to it's apogee, and then coats it all in a beautiful psychedelic shell. The actual combat is decent enough, but it's all the trippy surprises the game keeps throwing at me that I'm really enjoying so far.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: KiBa
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 am

Yeah i plan on getting that at some point as the demo was pretty cool. But i have heard one level pissed off most because it had no checkpoints and an instant death part?

Edit just found this. Its The Darkness levels

Seriously, WTF?!? Miss ONE jump, and you gotta sit through an ENDLESS (and unskippable) cutscene, then a credit-roll, then you get dumped back to the start-menu, then you gotta load your last save and wait for it to load, then run back to the Darkness-portal, then wait for THAT to load... before you finally get a chance to do the whole thing over again.

I know you get something pretty awesome for doing them all, but STILL... what sort of demons possessed the game-designers to think that using outrageous frustration as a punishment for missed jumps was a good idea? You can wind up going through that bullshit a LOT of times if it's one of the more hard-to-find bones...

I'm oddly reminded of Too Human, another game involving gods, which also punished you by forcing you to sit through a repetitive cutscene... but even THAT wasn't THIS bad.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Zelda Twilight Princess Wii U
Persona 4 Arena PSV
Resident Evil Revelations 3DS
Nintendo Land Wii U
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Whats your favorite attraction?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Whats your favorite attraction?

In nintendo land? Gotta be Zelda and then for multi Luigi's Mansion and the Mario chase. Me and my wife are having a blast. So interactive and fun.

Axm has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Calshot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 pm

I thought it would be a nice day to start Batman: Arkham City. Calendar Man thinks so as well.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 am

I keep forgetting to go back and listen to his stories.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby KiBa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 am

mue 26 wrote: I've been playing a bit of El Shaddai recently. It's pretty great. It seems like every Japanese action game has been looking towards the Bible for inspiration when it comes to monsters for the longest time now, usually throwing a few deformed cherubs in our direction to slaughter or something. So I think it's only right that El Shaddai takes the biblical influence to it's apogee, and then coats it all in a beautiful psychedelic shell. The actual combat is decent enough, but it's all the trippy surprises the game keeps throwing at me that I'm really enjoying so far.

There are more Japanese Christian martyrs than any other one group of people. Even though the various governments of Japan have often violently suppressed it for hundreds years, there is a very deep and traditionally secret history in some families that date back to the failed Christian peasant Shimabara Rebellion. Hence, there is a profound connection to Biblical imagery. In many ways, more Japanese have been more faithful orthodox Christians in recent centuries than Europeans and Americans. It's fascinating and little-known, as well as dark and sad as well as having moments of light and glory - all the poignant things that make life the horrifying mystery it is, yet we cannot turn away.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09744a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan

Remember the Samurai Shamploo episode about all this (Unholy Belief), or did they censor it out of the line-up outside of Japan?

KiBa has received a thanks from: mue 26
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah, the relationship Japan has had with Christianity over the years is a fascinating and often tragic one. I really do need to do some more reading into it, mind you. Endo usually deals with Christianity in his works, and the book's of his I've read have been great but quite haunting.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I've gotten 8 of the character endings for Virtue's Last Reward now (and around ten "game overs") and can safely say the game is a masterpiece. The story is just...phenomenal. So crazy, but oh so good. It's a different beast from 999, which is great for me, but I can see how some people preferred 999; the characters in VLR are so cold and mysterious, whereas, I felt there was some trust and camaraderie in 999, people stab each other in the back in VLR frequently. Which makes the atmosphere also more tense and colder. And people die a lot too. Still think "Good People Die" is a waaaay better title than VLR, especially having played pretty far into the game (two endings to go). The more answers you get, the darker/more grim the game gets.

The game is really lengthy too, got it for Christmas and even with obsessively playing it pretty much every day since then and still not finished it yet. Still, as far as adventure games go, this one is essential. The only complaints I can lobby against it are the questionable character designs, the slow start (far slower start than with 999, which puts you right into the action) and the repeating character animations (I found it far more noticeable this time around since they opted for 3D instead of the 2D art). Also, there's save corrupting bugs for the 3DS version which can pretty much kill your game, 30 hours into *poof* your save is gone! That's pretty damn bad...(this only happens if you save in a puzzle room though, just glad I was well informed before playing this).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 pm

^I confess I haven't got either. I've been on the fence with VLR (mainly because for 999 I'd have to import it which is always a hassle).

My biggest gripe with these games (and others like Ace Attorney, or Prof Layton) is how they're too dependent on furious reading and then simple puzzles (not simple solutions but gameplaywise simple) where everything is commanded from the story. Is this what they call Visual Novels over in Japan? The Cing adventures seemed to suffer a bit from it, but being able to go around at your own pace, and interact with the scenery outside of puzzle-solving unveiled its world in a bigger sense. Shadow of Memories, another game heavily dependent on choice and outcome also presented a host of world interactions that let you uncover story through your gameplay actions, not through reading after you chosen "a, b or c".
Here it makes me feel that I'll never get into them because the characters just don't appeal to me, like most anime-like designs. Am I in the wrong here? I understand the narrative might be well thought out and its implications devilishly clever, but I'm afraid it just rings hollow if the only way you get to experience it is by clicking text boxes, where everything is characters, and no space is given to the environment.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

They are mostly reading, but from that perspective you need to go into them as if you're simply reading a novel. Remove the idea of them being about "gameplay" from your mind. They're the kind of thing you go into if you're specifically looking for story, so if that doesn't appeal to you, it might be best to steer clear.
That being said though, any reservations you have due to the "anime" nature of it ought to be dissolved by the fact that Henry is the same way. He loves the series in spite the the visuals being anime-style. The writing, characters, and plot twists tend to transcend the old anime cliches you're probably expecting.
And I'm not sure if this is what you mean about "space given to the environment," but the environments tend to be really well-fleshed-out. They're usually very important to the events taking place, so despite being presented with stills (in 999) or panoramic views (in VLR), great care is still given to making you aware of where everything is, how the locations are set up, etc. There's usually even an overhead view that you can check out at any time of whatever room you happen to be in.

Really, if you like a good, well-constructed story, 999 should be right up your alley (and I haven't played far into it yet, but I'd assume the same of VLR). It's not artsy or existential, but it is complex and intelligent. Just don't think too hard about its nature as a "game". It's a story, first and foremost, so clicking text boxes is just an intrinsic part of it all.

OL has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 am

Gonna start Ratchet & Clank HD.. I guess today since its 1 in the morning. You will also see me playing Yakuza 3 still sometimes because I am playing through and showing the main story and some of the side stuff to my dad.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming