What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 am

Heck yeah, Toyama is one of the best in the business. I kinda hope his next horror game is a new IP, but if he opts for a new Siren game, I'd be down with that too. Supposedly someone said at Sony Japan (think it might have been the producer) that Gravity Rush 2 will be "the conclusion" and since Toyama keeps saying he wants to return to horror, I doubt it will be very long until we see him craft another horror game masterpiece. Can't wait for it.

Speaking of Shibata, I kind of want him to create a new IP after Fatal Frame V, whilst his work is always great, I also admire his work outside of that series too, I just beat Trapt for PS2 last night and saw it was another one of his games (Designer/Director) and it was phenomenally good. Since his work on creating the Deception games is just masterful and full of cool and new ideas (how many trap simulators are there out there, honestly? Not enough!) I'd like to see him take a crack at creating something new again, whether it be a new horror game (or even do a Toyama and do the opposite of what we expect out of him and create an imaginative, charming world) with a new innovative gameplay concept (if you look at his games, despite how "dark" or "gothic" they are, he always adds a fun/arcadey element to the gameplay like with Deception's traps and Fatal Frame's camera). Would just be a shame to see him keep making Fatal Frame forever when he's obviously really good at creating new stuff too. That being said, I cannot freaking wait for Project Zero V, out at the end of this month. Just thinking of how long it has been since 3...pretty much 10 years ago by this point.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:03 am

Retro Game Challenge for the DS. I beat every challenge but the final challenge, and I beat Guardian Quest, so 6 more games to go, inorder to beat the final challenge(so evil, you need to see the ending of every game, to complete the final challenge)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DL30 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:25 pm

I just got done playing and beating Until Dawn.
It was a very good game that plays out like an interactive horror movie,Telltale games style.

Only downside was that I beat it in slightly under 6 hours.
That and there's not as much replayability as the developers have stated.

Still,I found it to be a perfect rental and definitely worth playing through once.
DL30
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Dont mind if I do chime in about Gravity Rush.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/ ... -9th-2016/

Seems the remastered version will be released February 9th in the US and shortly after in UK. I never got around to beating the original Vita version of this game, but I enjoyed I had played, it was like an anime almost it had a certain charm that really made it hard to forget. All that said, I found the controls a bit difficult at times, and im hoping they smooth out alot of those kinds of issues with this new release. It doesnt say whether its coming out as a Physical release or just on PSN, but im under the impression its just coming out on PSN right? I would love a hard copy for PS4 though.

phpBB [video]

How does everyone feel about there not being a Vita version of GR2? I really think it will run smoother and be more technically sound on PS4 anyway, but im sure there are alot of players who have a Vita that just wanna play it on what they already have and are used to playing this series on. I thought the original game ran just a tad clunky on the Vita, but at the same time it seems like this series is just a Vita kind of series, maybe thats just me (and I say that, but I still would rather play these on PS4) I just wish there was at least the option of Vita, but it would probably be a faction of what the PS4 version is anyway.

phpBB [video]
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm sure about 95% of Vita owners own a PS4 and about 95% of Gravity Rush owners played the game while sitting at home in the same room their TV is in. I think the last time I played a handheld game outside my house was on a plane about 6 years ago and I would rather play on my 50" TV then the Vita or 3DS screen.

OL wrote: [color=#FF8000]Started up the original Silent Hill the other day for the first time in yeeeeeaaaaars. Hoping the mood sticks with me long enough that I can finish all four of the original Team Silent games (the only ones in the series that actually matter).
Finished the school, visited the church, and now I'm lowering the bridge into Central Silent Hill (leading to the hospital after that). A while back, some were talking about playing the game for the first time kind of recently, and saying it was surprisingly bad considering the hype and all that. I've always remembered it fondly, so it got me to thinking that maybe I need to play it again, because maybe I'm just remembering the game with nostalgia goggles on.
Now that I am playing it... honestly, I still think it's excellent. An absolute classic, still just as creepy as it ever was, regardless of how dated its graphics may be. Sure, the controls are clunky, but that's always been the case. It's just how survival horror was back then. Not like it's particularly hard anyway; the clunky-ass combat requires some precise timing, but once you have it down, it's cake. Loving my time with it so far.

I think that was mainly me. I just tried playing it one night and found the controls a struggle. To be fair I played it for only about 30 minutes as I left the diner and got killed by some flying creature and gave up. I did intend to go back and try it again but have never got around to it. It's now just one of those games I have on my backlog list that I always gloss over.[/color]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, starting it again after so long, I did initially find that the flying creatures were a bit of a pain at first (especially the first one you fight, since it's in the confines of that tiny diner), but you eventually learn to just run around them if at all possible.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I never got around to beating the original Vita version of this game, but I enjoyed I had played, it was like an anime almost it had a certain charm that really made it hard to forget.

Actually, I always thought it felt more like a European comic series rather than an anime, which is part of why it felt like such a breath of fresh air to me. Making something feel like an anime has been done to death, but Toyama and his designers have said that some of their biggest influences with this were French artists like Moebius and Enki Bilal, as well as the Crackdown series. While I'm not personally a huge fan of any of those in particular, I love it when Japanese creators aim to do something in a slightly more western style, because it usually results in something totally different. Definitely the case with Gravity Rush; nothing else is quite like it.

On that note, I'm pretty sure the remaster is supposed to be getting a physical release. Definitely getting one in Japan (along with a snazzy LE with a Kat statue), but no official word yet on the western releases. I would think they'll be going physical though, since that's the best way to rope in "window shoppers" and all. If Sony wants to drum up support for the sequel, it'd be very smart to start with attracting as a wide an audience as possible to the remaster.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:How does everyone feel about there not being a Vita version of GR2?

Don't really care. There's so much whining about it when you look at comments sections for anything related to GR2, but it feels like such a non-issue. Like Riku said, most Vita owners probably already have a PS4 anyway, and it's not very likely that anyone was actually playing this much "on the go." For a franchise of this quality, I say the stronger the hardware, the better. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel and soak in all the detail and atmosphere.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm

OL wrote:Actually, I always thought it felt more like a European comic series rather than an anime, which is part of why it felt like such a breath of fresh air to me. Making something feel like an anime has been done to death, but Toyama and his designers have said that some of their biggest influences with this were French artists like Moebius and Enki Bilal, as well as the Crackdown series. While I'm not personally a huge fan of any of those in particular, I love it when Japanese creators aim to do something in a slightly more western style, because it usually results in something totally different. Definitely the case with Gravity Rush; nothing else is quite like it.

I dont think you quite get what I mean when I say it reminds me of an anime, im not talking about anime that takes place in japan and its all high school setting or some kind of drama or even an action show that takes place in japan. Im talking about the hyper creative anime that are very well done and take the setting to a whole other world, Last Exile comes to mind Haibane Renmei, Attack on Titan, Trigun, Berserk, FMA, many Miyazaki films etc etc etc just those good anime with non-japanese setting and world and all the detail, Gravity Rush is great on the details and its massive scale is done well, it just reminds me of some high production quality anime of the like we usually see in anime movies from Ghibli, Production IG, Sunrise, or Studio BONES.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:12 am

No, I get what you meant, I'm just pointing out that its origins are more in line with western comics rather than anything Japan-grown. The animes you mention are still very obviously "Japanese" in just about every area; there's no way to mistake them for anything else, from the visuals to the style of the storytelling. GR, on the other hand, is executed in such a way that its aesthetics honestly could have been crafted by a French developer and I wouldn't even bat an eye. To me, there's something distinctly Japanese about it, sure, but they also did so well with the basic design elements that it has a very "international" style to it as well, quite unlike anything else I've seen out of Japan. I just wouldn't boil it down so simply to being "like and anime" is all.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:45 am

Read Only Memories.

Just started, nice GUI, very nice retro feel. Hopefully the story is good too.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Star Wars Battlefront Beta. The sound is gorgeous.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Beat it in two days via an emulator. Damn good game, probably Kojima's best.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 pm

After crying like a little girl, I finally made some progress in Phantom Pain.

I ditched the sneaking in favor of just blowing shit up, though doing the same level 100 times helped me figure out the Emmerich extraction mission via stealth (with a few panic attacks here and there). Now that things are picking up, I'm going to farm GMP and extract more soldiers to build Mother Base.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Finished AC Unity, after almost a year of putting it off. Decided to just skip all the side-stuff and just play the main story missions. Much more enjoyable that way (though the game's problems still shine through). And then I finally got around to playing the DLC, Dead Kings, which was given away for free as apology for Unity being so technically jacked up. Good little collection of missions, especially considering it was free.

Also started playing this game called The Forest for PC along with my brothers. Pretty cool survival-based indie game where you have to cut down trees (a lot of them), build up shelter and a camp, find food to keep yourself healthy, and oh yeah... try not to get killed by the cannibals inhabiting the island you're on. It's got a lot of technical problems, but it's fun either way, and the devs are still working on ironing it all out. Good co-op experience though.

Need to start in on Silent Hill 2 soon... maybe tonight.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm stuck on Uncharted 3, looks like they decided to randomly up the enemy AI in this particular level, even with more cover spots. Im really shit at these games, im playing on easy remember? I thought maybe they had adjusted the difficulty level a little bit from Uncharted 2 but NNOOOPPPEEEEE. They are killing the fuck out of me and I cant take these enemies out the way I did the whole time up until this point of the game... God I hate when games do this, not only that but it renders the game unbalanced and not something I wanted to see out of this game. I may suck, but when the game changes difficulty like this at random, its frustrating. im bad enough as it is, hopefully I can continue the game...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm

^^I don't know if I'd call it a hike in difficulty necessarily, but the Uncharted series does tend to start introducing new enemies at certain points in each game, which necessitate a change-up in your tactics. I'd actually say Uncharted 2 is the easiest, but I do remember the first game being a bit brutal last I played it, and the fire enemies in U3 were a bit of a pain.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming