Pro Wrestling

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Pro Wrestling Official Topic

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Impact (people care so little about it that they didn't even realize there was a name change)

Impact Wrestling is the name of TNA Wrestling's television show, like Raw and SmackDown are the names of WWE's television shows. They haven't eradicated the TNA initials entirely, the logo's still on all the PPV posters, etc.

I actually try to watch it and I didn't know that. Thats how little anyone cares about TNA.

They do try and downplay the TNA name as much as possible in favor of Impact Wrestling, so I understand how easy it would be to get confused. Even the wrestlers don't always seem to be sure which name they should be using in which context.

Apparently it came about because Hogan and Bischoff found it hard to be taken seriously in meetings with sponsors or TV execs when pushing a brand named TNA. Those initials were deliberately chosen for their double meaning and it came back to bite the company once they started trying to expand. So they promote the name Impact Wrestling wherever they can, without going so far as to hide the fact that the company is still TNA.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Would it be so hard for the to change to something else? TIW Or TCW Total Championship Wrestling.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Ryudo wrote: Would it be so hard for the to change to something else? TIW Or TCW Total Championship Wrestling.

Well yes, it would be harder. They have ten years of history associated with that name, and as a distant second place to WWE they need every bit of brand recognition they can retain. I'm sure if they could go back in time and pick a different name to start with, they would. But in their current situation it's not such an easy decision to ditch a label they've invested so much into.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Ryudo wrote: Would it be so hard for the to change to something else? TIW Or TCW Total Championship Wrestling.

Well yes, it would be harder. They have ten years of history associated with that name, and as a distant second place to WWE they need every bit of brand recognition they can retain. I'm sure if they could go back in time and pick a different name to start with, they would. But in their current situation it's not such an easy decision to ditch a label they've invested so much into.

WWWF had several decades before being called WWF then WWF went to WWE
AWA had decades under the name before going WCW. They can just announce a new name and be business as usual. Sports teams move and change names all the time. They are young enough they can change to help boost interest or at least people talking. They don\t have decades of history behind the name TNA
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

TNA doesn't have the same amount of publicity and big status as the WWE or any other major company so for them to change their name would only hinder them I think

Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Its too bad TNA is bullshit.

Russo needs to stop, Bishoff needs to stop, Hogan needs to stop, Jeff Jarrett needs to stop, fuck all of the top people at TNA need to stop trying to justify their jobs.

Then again I think that applies to everything these days.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm

I liked Hogan had one last run in WWE but he should have given up the gig after that. Yeah he technically should have given up before that. Brett Hart quit when his body could no longer do it (Yes I know he had a stroke) Hogans knees hips and back were long shot ages ago. His Ego is why he still lingers around like old cheese. As a kid I was a fan til I got older and liked other wrestlers more.Stone Cold,Kane,Rock,Undertaker. I still watch because a couple old guys are left and growing to like Danial Bryan.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 am

Ryudo wrote:WWWF had several decades before being called WWF then WWF went to WWE

As has been pointed out, there was never any danger of wrestling fans not knowing they were the same company when these changes occurred. And even then, the WWF didn't become WWE by choice.

Ryudo wrote:AWA had decades under the name before going WCW.

Assuming you mean the NWA, not the AWA which never had anything to do with WCW, the NWA didn't change its name to WCW.

The NWA was (and still is, but on a less visible scale) a collection of affiliated regional promotions who each ran in their own territories. One of those local promotions was known on television as World Championship Wrestling, and was bought by Ted Turner who later withdrew its membership from the NWA. The NWA continued to exist - ECW began life as a member, and TNA also licensed the name in its early days.

Ryudo wrote:They can just announce a new name and be business as usual. Sports teams move and change names all the time. They are young enough they can change to help boost interest or at least people talking. They don\t have decades of history behind the name TNA

When a sports team changes its name, everyone who needs to know will know. Not true in wrestling, where the only company with any media visibility is WWE. TNA has scratched and clawed for a decade to build up some brand awareness amongst a wrestling fanbase who have been conditioned to dismiss anything that's not WWE. Some of that casual audience now knows that TNA is where they can find Kurt Angle, Sting, Hulk Hogan, etc. Hearing the name XYZW would not elicit the same recognition, and the change would not have been explained to them by mainstream news outlets.

It's not completely undoable, but they clearly don't see it as a challenge worth taking on when they can just do what they're doing.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 am

Raw would be a bit more watchable if it went back to 2 hours.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 am

You can add the rock CM punk and Cena to TNA and still no one would watch. TNA is the Hockey in the US of Wrestling. It has it's fans but on a whole is looked at as a joke and not widely taken serious. Even with a lame duck WWE is a far better product :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLsxJ8Lshc[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 am

That was a pretty good match between Punk and Cena.From Swaggers new gimmick to the return of the pile driver,we could be seeing that change everyone has been wanting since the end of the attitude era.A more edgier product.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 am

Don't forget Cena's huracanrana. what. the. fuck. lmao
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 am

Good raw.Great opening anf finish. Did remind me of the tude era somehat
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 am

And Triple H pissing himself.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic