Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby OL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oSwMx9xiEI[/youtube]

I'm kind of torn on that video...
I mean, from a gameplay standpoint I'm now completely sold. It all looks fantastic.
But -- and maybe this just comes from the fact that I haven't been religiously following all the hype and whatnot for it -- what the hell is up with Raiden's characterization? The voiceover sounds like Quinton Flynn is trying to do David Hayter's Solid Snake "gravel," while the writing is making Raiden out to be a total psychopath.
I wouldn't be bothered by it if it were anything else; give me something with a completely new character who just happens to be a slicing and dicing psycho, and I'd be game.
But this is Raiden. An established character with established fans, who's never acted like that before. Hearing him, specifically, talk about "getting off" on cutting people up actually kind of bothers me.

So is there any kind of explanation so far for this complete change in character, or am I the only one seeing that this is just as bad as (if not worse than) new Dante's constant "fuck you's"?

OL has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

The last few trailers have made me put the breaks on buying it.

on the plus side, whether this does well or not, we still have Ground Zeroes.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 pm

I still think it looks like a great game (I'm actually feeling like playing the demo now), I'm just really hoping that there's some kind of logical explanation for this stuff. I almost wanted to say that the voiceover might be a separate character also voiced by Quinton Flynn at first (since there was a bit of a difference between the grumbly voiceover and the cleaner "in scene" voice of Raiden), but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the actual content of the narration.
I mean, I would imagine that if Kojima is involved, and since Raiden is his creation, that he'd make sure they handled him properly. But I guess it's hard to assume that, since it's meant to be a new sub-series for Metal Gear, and they could technically go anywhere they want with it.
Guess we'll see. I may still be roped into buying it near launch (coming out in my birthday month after all).
I'm just hoping this isn't all a random attempt at appealing to westerners (because, as everyone knows, we're all savage barbarians who love psychotic bloodletting). Hoping there's an explanation behind it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Theres a possibility that its not Raiden, or that they're messing with Raiden's head.

Still, I liked the idea of Raiden.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I kind of given up on the Metal Gear storyline after the fourth part was released. I considered that the definitive closure to the series and everything else is supplementary. Kojima really fucked up the story beyond repair, so if they make Raiden jam his ass up a large electric coil to recharge in this game, I won't bat an eye.

Since they missed the opportunity to tie this into the MGS4 storyline on how he found Sunny, i'm taking this as a non-canonical adventure. Even if they intend it to be canon, I won't accept it. Call it a coping mechanism after MGS2, but it helps me still enjoy MGS1 despite the mythology being tainted over the years.

All that said, the gravel voice is really stupid as is the dialogue. I don't even like Raiden driving the car cause I never pictured a technologically advanced being doing something as ordinary as drive a car. Next thing you know, i'll see him picking up groceries and pick up his coat and hat for work. Seeing Raiden going from naive, to broody, to...psychotic badass is too abrupt.

The big difference between this and DmC though is that DmC is a reboot, completely separate from the main series. This, however, is probably intended to be PART of the series, so unless they come out and say it's intended to reboot the character...these character changes stick out like a sore thumb and are largely inconsistent. But since i'm not going to bother including it as canon, i'll happily play it as is. Maybe this take on the character will be fun, but MGS4 Raiden (so far) is the definitive Raiden. Totally badass for all the right reasons.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Well actually it is a reboot in a sense, they purposely called it Metal Gear Rising since its supposed to exist separately from the Solid series.

I had the argument with Dorian a few pages back, but I'm starting to really get what he meant.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm

The whole Metal gear series is not the Metal Gear Solid series. Rising is one of my most wanted games. It's a sure buy for me after all Platinum is just amazing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Whether or not it is a reboot, all I care about in the end is the gameplay. And the gameplay looks really solid.

If it happens to have a pretty kick ass story, even better. If not, at least it's a playable adventure.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:01 pm

So is this before or after MGS4? I've always wanted to see the story of how Raiden got Sonny I always thought that something happened there that turned him into a transformer.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Originally when it was announced it was about the time before MGS4, now that its been moved over to Platinum its set after MGS4.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Riku Rose wrote: So is this before or after MGS4? I've always wanted to see the story of how Raiden got Sonny I always thought that something happened there that turned him into a transformer.

Knowing MGS its probably set after before the after event before the event of aferbeore MG5.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

I thought it was non cannon to MGS
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:40 pm

At this point? Who really cares? Series has jumped the shark anyway.

Personally, I'm going to play the game with the mindset that it's like the AC!D series (non-canon but takes pieces from the original canon into the storyline). More excited for this than I am for the next "proper" Metal Gear.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Metal Gear Rising boss battle trailer (final trailer?)

Sufficed to say, MAJOR spoilers (I only watched it for 30 seconds and that was enough).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhZGOCY3Qg

O_O
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Skin for MGR from those who preorder from Gamestop

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/19/kojim ... etal-gear/

Kojima wanted Grey Fox to star in MGR but won't let anyone else make it if that happened.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming