Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby Thief » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

I just beat Metal Gear for the MSX2 today and wow... what a fantastic game. I've always been kind of drawn away from the earlier games for god knows why but I'm really glad I decided to play it. It's really well designed both in the stealth aspect and in the way the buildings are laid out/the whole general scenario. Plus all the items are cool and pretty fun to use.

Next up is Snakes Revenge, I know, it's not canon... blah blah blah, but it looks fun so yuh! Anyway, I've decided to go ahead and play all the metal gear games now in order until I get to finally play Peacewalker for the first time and then Metal Gear Rising. Although, I think I'll go ahead and skip Portable Ops and the Acid games since I don't have a PSP to play them on... it's too bad because the AC!D games look pretty good. Portable Ops looks like shit though :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Not going to bother with Metal Gear 2? It's way better than MG1. MG2 is an absolute classic. Snake's Revenge is actually rather fun too, though.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah I'm going to play Metal Gear 2 as soon as I'm done with Snakes Revenge. Then MGS, MGS(GBC), MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, PW, and finally Rising. Unless there are some I'm not thinking of? Just starting Snakes Revenge and I'm noticing that they still didn't fix the key card problem where you have no idea key card works for which door. It should be that each new key card works for all previous key cards but oh well. Hopefully it's better once Metal Gear 2 comes along.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Unfortunately, MG2 doesn't really fix that problem, either. Game Boy Colour Metal Gear is a really good game. Sadly the most forgotten Metal Gear of them all, and the last 2D Metal Gear game. I sorta wish they would make another 2D Metal Gear game.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Axm
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 am

Holy wow... I just beat Metal Gear 2 after playing it nonstop for 7 hours... what a way to spend my day off. This game absolutely blew me away. It's amazing all the things they were able to implement into the game, I'm surprised it's a MSX2 game. Loads better than the first game and I really really liked the first game. Oh, and while not completely, they still were able to sort of fix the the key card problem with the red/blue/green cards. Better to just have to check through 3 cards rather than 9.

Anyway, I went ahead and skipped Snakes Revenge because it was pissing me off... I kept dying at the first boss and I need oxygen tanks and blah bla-blah bla-blah.. I wasn't having fun so I stopped. As soon as I started playing MG2 though I was hooked. I haven't been that involved in a game in a while. I'm an idiot for skipping metal gear 2 for soooooooo long. Part of me wants to continue playing the games in order but another part of me wants to start playing Peacewalker and Rising since I haven't beaten those two.

I have a question for anyone willing to answer. I'm waiting for Peacewalker (HD Collection) to come in the mail but I have Metal Gear Rising sitting on my shelf unopened.. ready to play. Are there any story elements in Peacewalker that I'll need to know before playing Rising or can I go ahead and play Rising first and play Peacewalker later whenever it comes in the mail?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Tuffty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:27 am

Rising is more connected to the events of 2 and 4 than other games so you can play it and not miss a beat with Peace Walker.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Thief
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby redline » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:54 am

Tuffty wrote: Rising is more connected to the events of 2 and 4 than other games so you can play it and not miss a beat with Peace Walker.

peace walker is a great game & its proof that a good story can trump graphics (i played it on the psp & xbox)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 am

Well Metal Gear Solid HD Collection still hasn't come in the mail but that's ok because I'm still only half way through MGS1 right now. Anyway, I started playing Metal Gear Rising with my brother and we're really enjoying it. I was iffy about it at first but then we got to the first boss, the cyborg dog thing, and it kicked our asses. We got into this mode of passing the controller back and forth, yelling at each other when we were about to get hit, really tense when its health was low, and cursing the screen when we died. It was great. It was at that point when I knew the game was going to be great. We made it through the second boss (arm lady) and then called it a night. Looking forward to playing through it some more with my brother and I'll continue the rest of the series, in order, by my lonesome.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 am

It's snowy out right now...
So naturally I'm kind of getting the urge to play MGS1. Always seems to happen when it snows.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Thief wrote:Well Metal Gear Solid HD Collection still hasn't come in the mail but that's ok because I'm still only half way through MGS1 right now. Anyway, I started playing Metal Gear Rising with my brother and we're really enjoying it. I was iffy about it at first but then we got to the first boss, the cyborg dog thing, and it kicked our asses. We got into this mode of passing the controller back and forth, yelling at each other when we were about to get hit, really tense when its health was low, and cursing the screen when we died. It was great. It was at that point when I knew the game was going to be great. We made it through the second boss (arm lady) and then called it a night. Looking forward to playing through it some more with my brother and I'll continue the rest of the series, in order, by my lonesome.

watch out for the last boss, hes quite hard to beat .
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bambi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 am

OL wrote: It's snowy out right now...
So naturally I'm kind of getting the urge to play MGS1. Always seems to happen when it snows.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyE0UabtLn0[/youtube]

Bambi has received a thanks from: OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Thief » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am

Gah... I'm at the part were you have to fight Null for the second time in Portable Ops. The fight isn't hard it's just annoying and I died when his health was barely left. Screw it. I'm only two missions away before the final boss but I'm done. I'm sick of my hand hurting because if this gaaaaaaame. It's too bad too because it's actually kind of fun, but the boss battles are either too easy or just tedious beyond all belief.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the last two missions on youtube and move on to Metal Gear Solid 4. Not worth the hassle anymore... stupid Portable Ops! You could have been good but...

Thief has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Thief, our opinions are aligning perfectly, so far. I greatly disliked Portable Ops too. It is the weakest canon Metal Gear game, so don't worry, 4 is better. But I personally don't like 4 thanks to story retcons, weird design and lazy storytelling, but whereas that annoys me and got in the way of me enjoying it as much as I'd like to, perhaps you will like it more?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 am

I actually went back and beat the last three missions in Portable Ops. I'm a little OCD and it was eating away at me... so I just buckled down and beat it. It's the only game in the series that became a chore to play. Just started MGS4 tonight, I actually beat the game when it first came out in 2008 but I hardly remember it, yet I do remember being really disappointed with it. One part I do remember is
a scene at the end when snake is talking to Big Boss. I thought it was this big scene that was supposed to affect me emotionally but it just completely failed on delivery. They just kept talking and talking and dragging it out to the point where I didn't care anymore. The execution was all wrong
I hope it's different this time around though, now that I've played through all the others (minus Peace Walker) but we'll see.

One thing I'll say is that the opening scene to Metal Gear Solid 4 is excellent. I love the soundtrack and the "war has changed" speech is pretty iconic. Those stupid commercials kind of ruin it a bit though...
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_dtZm7KwT0[/youtube]
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming