South Carmain Qr. - Mysterious Dead End

(Chapters 3-6)

South Carmain Qr. - Mysterious Dead End

Postby Hazuki San » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:39 pm

I was playing Shenmue 2 today (probabilly for the 8th time), when I saw something very weird that i didn't pay much attention in the past...

In the South Carmain Qr. there are stairs that lead to a long street finished by a dead end. There are two doors shut (like the one in Green Market Qr that leads to the Bronze Medal) and a door that Ryo knocks, though nobody answers.

My question is simple: I don't understand why this street is here, because there's nothing to do or see (at least at first sight), nor pedestrians to talk. They could have made a wall in the corner where the stairs begin, but they didn't... It's weird... Could this street have some kind of secret? Does anynody know?
Hazuki San
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby The C. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Probably just there for unused place.
There was probably lots of places in Shenmue II that were never used.

It's just another non-playable area, just put there to stop the South Carmain Qr, there has to be an end to the Qr somewhere.
The C.
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KiBa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:22 am

I've often wondered about that dead end. I bet one of the doors opens at a special time. Therein lies a secret no one has ever found before.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby HappyKillmore » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:21 am

I'd be suprised if it did open, i'm sure one of the shenmue Einsteins around here would have found out by now. Still though, lets just keep it as a myth :lol:
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby Hazuki San » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Lol

It's a great myth! Like the one of making Shenmue 3 before 2035!
Hazuki San
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Terra Ryzing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Probably an unused area they scrapped when they ran out of time or funds. I always wondered why no female NPCs walk around the South Carmain Qr?
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:05 pm

I also thought about that street when I played through the game a little while ago. Especially that door. The fact that we can knock there made me think that there might be something connected to it. So I tried several times but gave up after a while. It could also just be that they scrapped some stuff and left the area for what it was.

The fact that nothing can be done there doesn't say much otherwise when it comes to this series. Yu has said that Shenmue is different from other games in that aspect too. The fact that not everything has a purpose and is connected to the story makes it more of a real world. That's why he had some dead ends and can do things like pick up and examine things, he said.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby white lotus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:36 am

Terra Ryzing wrote:Probably an unused area they scrapped when they ran out of time or funds. I always wondered why no female NPCs walk around the South Carmain Qr?

Its the The Castro of Shenmue. Every dude in there is gay with each other..all of em.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Erin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:35 am

It's funny that there's a possibility these games have legs this long beyond their years.
Erin
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Duchess May
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: SW Battlefront (X1)

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Terra Ryzing wrote:Probably an unused area they scrapped when they ran out of time or funds. I always wondered why no female NPCs walk around the South Carmain Qr?

Haha, I always wondered that too, though I do have a vague recollection of seeing at least one woman wandering through the quarter once. Its a bit weird really :?
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51 pm

ys wrote:I also thought about that street when I played through the game a little while ago. Especially that door. The fact that we can knock there made me think that there might be something connected to it. So I tried several times but gave up after a while. It could also just be that they scrapped some stuff and left the area for what it was.

The fact that nothing can be done there doesn't say much otherwise when it comes to this series. Yu has said that Shenmue is different from other games in that aspect too. The fact that not everything has a purpose and is connected to the story makes it more of a real world. That's why he had some dead ends and can do things like pick up and examine things, he said.

Look at this beta image which was revealed in a Muecas issue at their official site:

As you see in the map, Ryo is heading for the dead end. Apparently, the Sunny Capital
Pharmacy was located in that area originally. And, the caption for the image implies that
the road used to lead to somewhere. What's more, Ryo was able to ride a bicycle there.

Obviously, that road was created for some purpose. ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ys » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am

Interesting. I've seen those images before of course but never thought of the fact that it was that street. Because of the pharmacy I just assumed it to be where it is now, so I didn't pay attention to the background.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 am

ys wrote:Interesting. I've seen those images before of course but never thought of the fact that it was that street. Because of the pharmacy I just assumed it to be where it is now, so I didn't pay attention to the background.

Yeah same here, oh well at least that answers that, thanks for the insight as usual Kiyuu ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Terra Ryzing » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:43 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
ys wrote:I also thought about that street when I played through the game a little while ago. Especially that door. The fact that we can knock there made me think that there might be something connected to it. So I tried several times but gave up after a while. It could also just be that they scrapped some stuff and left the area for what it was.

Look at this beta image which was revealed in a Muecas issue at their official site:

As you see in the map, Ryo is heading for the dead end. Apparently, the Sunny Capital
Pharmacy was located in that area originally. And, the caption for the image implies that
the road used to lead to somewhere. What's more, Ryo was able to ride a bicycle there.

Is Ryo pimping 5 year old girls in that pic? She looks like she's hanging on by his ass.
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hazuki San » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Kiyuu wrote:

Thank You, Kiyuu!

You are incredible! You have always the correct answer for everything! Now the mystery is gone! Two more points for your detective skill! ;)
Hazuki San
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue II