Final Fantasy

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Final Fantasy

Postby Tuffty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I completed XIII-2 this afternoon. The end boss went from ridiculously hard to ridiculously easy after an hour or so of levelling. Did it first time round and whereas the last time I was relying a lot on paradigm shifts and keeping track of everything, there was no such need here. I blitzed through it pretty easily. Funny how the difficulty shifts in such a huge way like that. Hell, I even got the achievement for getting a 5 star rating on it.

As for that ending? The less said the better. I think it's certainly a better game than XIII, as in, there is more things to see and do that improves the longevity of it but I couldn't give two shits about the story throughout it. Now, every FF game has it's share of clunky dialogue, but it was just more prevalent here. I don't want anything more to do with XIII's world or it's characters.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

^Wow, that's quite a turnaround of an opinion. So, Toriyama is a really bad writer, then? (Only played 3rd Birthday myself and the ending in that game is just...wow, oh so bad).

Also, on the Square-Enix community forums, all of the members are requesting Type-0 and Bravely Default localizations (it's gaining momentum and people are pissed, unsurprisingly)

All it took was for a Square-Enix rep to ask the forum members, "What are you looking forward to in 2013?" to which the response is "how about giving us your games, in English?!"

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/vie ... _2013?pg=1

It really is surprising and disappointing to me that both of those games aren't getting a release in either the US or Europe. Fuckin' Square, eh?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't think my opinion has changed all that much. I always gave it a good chance of it being a good game and saying that XIII had a good story if nothing special. The story was something I couldn't judge before the game was out obviously but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. But it is worse than I expected haha
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I still need to complete 13-2. As a game it was better. And I do like the battle system.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Believe it or not I do too, I just think theres a big gap they need to address.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 am

Beta sign ups for FFFXIV for both PC and PS3: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu

Be cool to get a little Dojo clan going.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Axm
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Already got the game on pre-order for PS3. We should create a Dojo clan for those of us who get it (Axm, Segata, Riku and if anybody else is? Tuffty?)

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Axm
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't have a PS3 I'm afraid! Cool idea though!
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Already got the game on pre-order for PS3. We should create a Dojo clan for those of us who get it (Axm, Segata, Riku and if anybody else is? Tuffty?)

i'll be getting it on PS3.

but about FF13. i just started playing it. only about 7 hours in. but after upgrading weapons i find it hard to buy a new weapon. for example my current weapon stat wil be 50 because i upgraded it from its original stat. how do i know if a new weapon that i buy will be better than 50 after upgrading? get what im saying??
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tuffty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Perfect_Chaos wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Already got the game on pre-order for PS3. We should create a Dojo clan for those of us who get it (Axm, Segata, Riku and if anybody else is? Tuffty?)

but about FF13. i just started playing it. only about 7 hours in. but after upgrading weapons i find it hard to buy a new weapon. for example my current weapon stat wil be 50 because i upgraded it from its original stat. how do i know if a new weapon that i buy will be better than 50 after upgrading? get what im saying??

I believe that some of the better, high class weapons can only be obtained by upgrading weapons to a certain point. All lead to unique weapons as well I believe, so that sword you're upgrading now, could lead to a higher quality sword that can only be obtained by levelling up that sword. Also I think weapons grant passive abilities to your character as well, so yes a sword you acquire later may give you higher base stats, but it doesn't have the ability to recharge your ATB rate faster than your current sword. Those are the kind of decisions you make.

Be careful if you're going down the path of wanting to acquire the best weapons in the game though. Those require an absolute shit ton of gil (already a scarce commodity in XIII) as well as some extremely rare crafting components which you'll have to grind the hell out of some of the best monsters in the game. And be incredibly lucky in acquiring them too. Really, the permutations and conditions are so vast, that you can't acquire them without consulting a guide. You'll beat the game just fine without doing that though.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Tuffty wrote:
Perfect_Chaos wrote:

I believe that some of the better, high class weapons can only be obtained by upgrading weapons to a certain point. All lead to unique weapons as well I believe, so that sword you're upgrading now, could lead to a higher quality sword that can only be obtained by levelling up that sword. Also I think weapons grant passive abilities to your character as well, so yes a sword you acquire later may give you higher base stats, but it doesn't have the ability to recharge your ATB rate faster than your current sword. Those are the kind of decisions you make.

Be careful if you're going down the path of wanting to acquire the best weapons in the game though. Those require an absolute shit ton of gil (already a scarce commodity in XIII) as well as some extremely rare crafting components which you'll have to grind the hell out of some of the best monsters in the game. And be incredibly lucky in acquiring them too. Really, the permutations and conditions are so vast, that you can't acquire them without consulting a guide. You'll beat the game just fine without doing that though.

thank you. very helpful post.

how the hell do you get gill is this game????
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 am

well you have to grind some enemies, generally if you want gil kill lots of soldiers. They drop credit chips which have no value other then being sold.

Its alittle dumb (more then alittle) but instead of just giving you Gil you get lots of items that serve no other purpose then being sold. Generally humans drop em. Like toward the end of the game theres an enemy that drops Perfume and you can sell that for a ton of cash.

Also to clarify, don't sell stuff that monsters drop like wing, screws, engines, and tentacles, you'll need that for upgrades generally credit chips and stuff like perfume are sellable since you can't use them to upgrade.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Absentia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 pm

:D

Absentia has received 3 thanks from: mue 26, OL, Tuffty
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

^My favourite flavour. ;-)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHa0_-Agwe4[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming