Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Goldeneye and Halo are just some of the games that left a mark on the industry and will be remembered for what they brought to gaming. In 10 years time it’s very likely that we will be talking about The Walking Dead in a similar fashion. The game is very flawed in certain aspects but what it does well it does better than any game has done before it.

The game opens with your character Lee sat in the back of a police car on his way to prison for murder. From here you’re just given some time to learn the controls and the conversation system. From just this first conversation you’re able to see that what you do and say will effect what happens in the future. It doesn’t take long for the ride along to get interrupted by the zombie apocalypse and you’re thrown into the action.

Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is getting bitten by a zombie

Gameplay is the weakest part of The Walking Dead and it seems that Telltale realised this after the first episode. They tried to add puzzles like they have done in their past games such as Back to the Future and Sam & Max, Telltale which is made up mainly of old Lucasarts employees have always tried to stay true to their adventure game roots. Sadly when you’re stuck in a room surrounded by zombies looking for a key to a door or batteries for a radio it feels rather tedious rather than rewarding and takes away the tension of split second thinking that a game like this should have.

The good thing is that Telltale saw this fault and soon switched their focus onto the selling part of the series. The Walking Dead which before being a game has been a very big series in both print and TV form has always been about the characters. The zombies are just part of the environment and their only purpose is to help you realise that there is no relaxing. With it being a time where many complaints are thrown at developers for there being to many zombie games it’s refreshing. By the end of The Walking Dead you won’t feel like you have just simply played another zombie game but more a game about life and relationships.

Hardly One Direction but they will do

The game essentially plays out like a 10-12 hour version of the Normandy sections of Mass Effect 2 where you would just interact with your crew which was arguably one of the best parts of the game. In a time where there is no TV to occupy your time and all you have is the company of others who are helping you get by you will want to learn as much as you can about them. Just like people in real life they will leave a first impression which will very much shape how you treat them. Depending on how you respond to questions you’re asked you will shape how the other characters view Lee. It doesn’t take long for you to pick your favourites in the group and start deciding who you will save over the other should the situation arise.

This is where the game excels. You aren’t meant to like everyone but you come to appreciate them as a character in the story. One of the reasons for the excellent story telling is that Telltale handed the script writing duties over to Gary Whitta who wrote the film The Book of Eli. In years to come The Walking Dead will be remembered for being the game that pushed the fact that brilliant script writing is an important factor for some games and shouldn’t just be handed to anyone.

Since a lot of thought went into how the game plays out no one will feel like they have got a ‘bad ending’ but more your own. You will be faced with some very very tough decisions that will shape how your game will play out. These happen as soon as 30 minutes into the game. None of the choices have a wrong or right answer and are just simply down to what you personally feel is best morally or what you feel is the best method to aid your survival.

No talking to strangers doesn't apply in an apocalypse

One thing will be the biggest decider in most of your decision making and that is a young girl named Clementine. You find Clementine alone in a tree house with no adult in sight and you take in upon yourself to look after her. It’s very easy for a child character in any TV series or game to become nothing more than an annoyance but this is handled brilliantly. The way us humans bond with children is by being a teacher to them which is what you become to Clementine, just like any child in real life Clem needs to be taught how and why to do things. Over time you build a strong relationship with her which does become the biggest decider of your decisions. I found myself choosing to do stuff that wouldn’t benefit my character but what would benefit her the most. By the end of the game you will feel you have had an effect on this character like you would on a child in real life. For these reasons Clementine will always been in the argument when it comes to best NPC in a video game.

The Walking Dead ends up being a game that has some big flaws which are massively overshadowed by the fantastic parts of the game. Even those that aren’t blown away by the game will be able to admit the impact the game will have on storytelling in the future for videogames. This is a game that rightfully deserves to be in conversations for a 2012 game of the year award but I will personally be placing it high on my top games of all time.

Riku Rose has received 7 thanks from: Jokatech19, Kenny, KiBa, OL, St. Elmo's Fire, Tuffty, Vyse Hazuky
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 am

Resonance (PC, 2012)
Resonance is the latest game from independent adventure game publisher Wadjet Eye, who over the years has put out the likes of The Shivah, Gemini Rue, Primordia and the Blackwell games. This game is an s-f adventure where you'll get to control up to 4 characters.
The gameplay is aided by a very straightforward interface with left-click for action and right-click for looking, and 3 inventory slots (one for objects, and one each for short-term and long-term memories). This "memories" interface gets to be clever and annoying at the same time. At its best, it lets you ask other characters about plot-points or specific background objects for clues or progressing, but when you're stuck you'll find yourself trying to put everything you see in your short-term memory folder so you can see if that was what you needed to ask about.
Some of the puzzles are really quite clever and never fall in the "slider" or "jigsaw" pattern, giving great variety. They can be however, quite challenging, but never overwhelming. One of the problems of the 4 character interface is that, while it is easy to change characters and have them trade objects between them, there is something of a loss of abstraction when you need to do it, as I'll explain. While some of the characters have their specific uses (for instance only a police detective has clearance to access the city archive at the police-station, or a doctor to a morgue), they never communicate with each other regarding what they need, despite being very communicative outside of gameplay. This makes the player feel a bit like a puppetmaster who's just making characters get objects or go to places they had no reason to go to, if not for another character needing it, although in-game they never discussed it. Strangeness ensues due to only one character having a cell-phone, and never using it to call any of the other playable characters asking for things - this clearly was a missed opportunity and it definitely broke my sense of immersion.
The characters themselves are quite endearing although they're unfortunately stereotyped (computer geek, hot latina doctor, tough guy cop, black freelance journalist). With 4 characters in an indie game, it'd be hard to make them very fleshed out, but I felt just about enough was done. They're certainly all very well acted though, which definitely helps it take off to another level of presentation.
The graphic style has the classic looks that work quite well, with the animations being quite decent, and there being a lot of locations in the game (although with never more than 3 screens each, and not many objects to interact with).
The story has a science-fiction sheen to it, although it never translates into gameplay (you won't be battling robots or aliens, assuredly). It isn't mind-blowing (although there's an unexpected plot twist) but it was definitely very enjoyable. The music is decent but never extraordinary.
In all, this is a very good, very focused game. The gameplay has a certain feel of excellence, and it's really quite enjoyable to play. It just might be one of the best recent old-school type adventures.
Demo avaiable here: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/resonance.html
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm

A SPACE SHOOTER FOR 2 BUCKS!

This game is one of those enigmas games to me. What I mean by that is it was hailed and cursed to equal degrees. This almost always happens with the games that go on to define an era or system. Games like this that come to mind are "Eternal Darkness" and Zelda 64. Both given titles such as "The Perfect Game" and "A Rare perfect 10." Yet they also got criticism as huge failures at first.

I purchased this because of the $2 price and found out later that it recieved one of the very few 10/10 scores on pspminis.com. I liked how difficult it was as well as the unorthodoxed approach to a space shooter. In this game, you play as Col. Jefferson who hates and wants to eliminate all aliens. You take each boss' power ie Megaman and figure out where they will be useful in the game. Your ship has a threshold instead of a 1 hit death. During the game you recieve lots of upgrades to your ship that go from unfair in parts to absolutely necessary in later parts.

There are a slew of achievements in this game. When I was a quarter through the game, I read that some people feel it is way to predictable and annoying. I now see, after beating the game that those were fools. This game will leave you feeling fulfilled like when you beat an old school shooter from the 90's. It has that kind of difficulty, and that kind of charisma. During the game, you will find yourself finishing the tauting quotes of the hero and smiling.Image

All in all, I loved the game and can see the enticement to play again for more achievements. I do wish there was at least one more mode like a minigame, but that is a minor gripe. My score: 9.5/10
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 am

Robota: Lost beta (PC, 2012)
Robota is an exploration game. Like in Jetpac you're marooned in an alien world and must collect fuel to get the hell out of there. Apart from a few words at the beggining and at the ending, though, nothing else is spoken. What is left then, is a Dear Esther sort of game where, though, a certain number of things made it, imo, a superior experience. While the game is, neither technologically nor artistically as beautiful as DE, it is much more stylized. There's a visual filter that simulates the view from inside your helmet that gives a superb sense of otherworldliness that is taken to incredible heights by the absolutely perfect soundtrack.
The fact that you have the possibility to wander freely around the planet might make it less photogenic than DE's tunnel-vision, but the gift of freedom, pacing and finding small details yourself, instead of being taken there by a corridor is much more satisfying. Apart from this, the fact that there is an objective in finding the 4 cans of fuel (even if it's "stupid" from a logical standpoint), does give the minimal challenge to make this a "proper" game.
The game is still in beta stage, but can be tried out here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/robota-lost

Balloon Diaspora (PC, 2011)
Balloon Diaspora is a short adventure game, with a very strong taste of the whimsical and ethereal.
You play a traveller in a weird land where this sort of stick figures live. The "game" has absolutely no challenge, as all the interaction you can do is talking to the various characters. After having talked to everyone about everything, you have nothing else to do. This, however, is missing the point completely. While it's far from being a masterpiece, it does succeed in taking the player to a foreign world and explore the weird culture of these stick-people. The game sports 4 different locations, and travelling between them you get a skippable sequence where you can ride the balloon. There is always darkness with a shred of light, giving presence to the world.
Above all, this is an experience in immersion, which it surprisingly succeds in a game with no character animation. It just establishes the game-rules so well, that you're really immersed beautifully in it for this short ride.
Download free here: http://cardboardcomputer.com/games/balloon-diaspora/

Black Box (browser, 2012)
Black Box is a short puzzle game in the vein of Windosill where you explore the titular box. While the concept is certainly clear and simple, it never ceases to feel inventive and endearing. The "action" takes place in a single screen as you watch your actions take place in progressive transformations. It can be quite challenging, but the fact that everything you need is there makes it impossible to feel cheated.
Impossible not to recommend as it's kawaii art-style really makes it a very lovely puzzle you'll definitely want to explore.
The game isn't free to play until the end but you can get a taste of it here: http://www.fr.eyezmaze.com/2012/07/black-box.html

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: Kenny
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:21 am

DmC.

Yep, it really comes as no surprise. If I had been bitching about every little update about this game, ruling it out as a piece of crap not worthy of the name Devil May Cry, I would've been feeling so stupid coming in this game. Personally, I only give things the condescending "In Name Only" title to things that not only stray too far from an established formula but have absolutely no business sharing the same title from the series prior to it.

I really don't think it's the case here. There are obvious differences and a few gripes, but I came out really enjoying it for the most part. The new Dante is cool, face it. He's nowhere near the potty mouthed scene kid that was advertised, which probably only served to show how different this interpretation was going to be. He's every bit as likable as a character should be. He's got cool one liners (that are not "Fuck You" a million times over as previous assumed) and definitive traits that a hero should have all the way down to the end. When his obnoxiousness comes in, it doesn't hurt to see it in motion...cause IN CONTEXT IT WORKS!!

Other things I thought I would have a problem with, like the Fox News satire that I thought had no business in a DMC game, all fit just fine. Again, IN CONTEXT it's perfectly alright. If anything, despite all the flash it showcased, I was a little disappointed how vanilla certain stages and boss fights were. They were fun, sure, but i'm too spoiled with today's age of over the top battle action set pieces. Even thought I liked the final battle, it felt more expected than surprising.

The gripes I had were generally the story's direction towards the end. It started out very cool, and it has alot of great action cutscenes and interactive moments. But then at some point it goes into "auto pilot". All the plot twists (except for maybe the final one) and story directions were typical. The exposition was really clumsy and tacked on too. We come to find out more about this Dante and Virgil but in a way where it felt too paint by numbers. I don't remember DMC having a great storyline anyway, but the original from what I remember had a wave of mysteriousness surrounding it that made it more interesting. But then again that time traveling T-Rex Virgil turned into turned out to be the biggest load of crap ever to--oh wait, that never happened. My mistake. Moving on.

As much as I like this new Dante, the voice still doesn't work for me. It's passable but there were times where it sounded like a guy reading from a script. And the main villians...I dunno, didn't work for me. But they're going with the whole evil business tycoon as opposed to ancient demon thing that was in the original. I know it's different, but somehow it could've been more. Plus the whole thing with Dante wearing the white wig and throwing it down saying "not in a milion years":

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeXYKibH3o[/youtube]

I thought that was in poor taste. Ninja Theory was being no different from the fanboys in terms of being childish.

As far as the actual gameplay goes, it's fine the way it is. Sure, it was too easy to get a SSS rank (as I was getting them practically every stage) but that's the only flaw I can think of. It progressively gets more difficult each stage but nothing you can get over in a few tries. While the bosses are not nearly close to being punishingly difficult as the ones from the original game, it was a joy to juggle enemies and smash them to bits. If all you care about is challenge and nothing else, then you're going to be in for a disappointment. Unless you care to beat the game and play it in Hard.

Funny how a game I was originally planning on ignoring turned into an enjoyable way to pass time. Now I'm putting it on my "To Buy" list and gonna it next to the DMC Collection I plan on getting. This never would've happened if there wasn't such a prolonged hissy fit going on for MONTHS.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 am

Can't be bothered writing such a detailed write up (with proper grammar) but here's something right here for a couple of games I just beat the last couple of weeks:

I predict Ryudo will hate me for this review, but here goes:

The Last Story. (Wii)

Pros:
Great aesthetics. Really appealing to me, I love this style of Medieval Fantasy. It would fit right in with an Ivalice game, at least in terms of environments and dungeons. The game has a sort of baroque styling to it. The game is both very bright and dark at the same time, which sort of ties in to the mood of the game as well. Some of the character designs are good and some are just okay, not Fujisaka's best work by any means (I much preferred the style he employed in dark fantasy games, especially for the original concepts of the game) but still good.

The combat system is fun. I enjoy the RTS elements in there a lot. It's ncie to have an Action RPG that doesn't just phone it in with its design either, there's plenty of dungeons and they are all well varied in their design and theme.

The story has a great ending.

Jirall. Best character in the game.

Indifferent about:
The music is alright. Uematsu really changed his musical style here to fit in with the "modern" musical stylings, but eh, he really got lazy and asked the interns to do a lot of the composition (at least, going by the notes in the soundtrack, he only contributed a few tracks himself!) In fact, some of the music sounds like stuff straight out of Metal Gear (I also found that one of the composers did work on MGS4's OST) which just...doesn't fit in with the Medieval Fantasy setting here, at all. Just doesn't mesh well at all. That and the fact that there is only one battle theme throughout the game means you will have to get used to the same music over and over again. Having said that, I actually liked listening to some of it, it's just a shame there was pretty much no variation and it got old fast.

I liked some of the characters, hated some of the others (who were very irritating). Yurick and Syrenne especially, all the former does is mope and stay quiet and the latter just moans throughout the game with her over done "Northern" accent.

I sort of liked the storyline, but some of it was just...so cliche and been done better before. To break it down, I liked the Gurak's storyline and history, but we spent so little time with that until right near the end of the game, the vast majority of the game's story is spent running around one castle and one bar, getting to know the Count and the man character's fellow Mercenaries, which I found rather boring. I did not take to the Mercenaries

Cons:
Fighting the same enemies over and over again. Yeah, fighting that Giant Turtle enemy like five times each time employing the same (annoying) tactic to beat it each time over and over again gets old quick. So does fighting the Gurak so many times over. The game would have really benefited from better enemy variety. I guess there's also the pirates, but they're so rare.

The voice acting. It sucks. That's all I have to say about that.

Whilst I said before that the combat is good for an Action RPG with RTS elements, it does get a few scrapes along the path for its clunkiness. For example, I am fighting some enemies just get knocked back into a corner, as soon as he eventually gets up (which can takes ages), my character suddenly runs up the wall to perform an attack I didn't mean to. A more pressing example is when there is so many party members on one map at once that we all get in each other's way when we try to attack specific powerful enemies who are stunned and ready to receive massive damage.

MASSIVE SPOILERS:

Dagran's sudden descent into madness felt really rushed to me. I much preferred it when the Gurak, were a sympathetic villain and much preferred Zangurak as the main villain. Dagran suddenly appearing out of nowhere wanting to kill everybody was just wrong to me. He and Zael had this inseparable bond, they were practically brothers, but to turn him into a Delita clone was terrible. Since he was my favourite of the Mercenaries by far, I felt really annoyed by this. Also was not a fan of the constant cheesy romance in the game, it didn't help that the voice acting sucked, but really Zael and Calista couldn't have sounded more bored by the whole thing.

I felt that when things went batshit insane near the end, what with Jirall, Zangurak AND Dagran all fighting Zael and crew near the end, felt a bit like they could have placed those boss battles a bit further apart.

And even though Zangurak hinted at returning, I think it's a done deal, he's dead, unless they make a sequel, I guess, but I felt it was all self contained pretty nicely. Jirall is dead. Zangurak is dead. Dagran is dead. It's over.

Having said that, the amount of craziness going on near the end was incredibly satisfying and a certifiably big pay off.

Overall:

Sakaguchi's third new IP Role Playing Game and the first game he has directed since Final Fantasy V is a nice sort of return to form, but it has a lot of flaws to it, which are very hard for me to ignore. It just depends how much you get into it and have the patience for a flawed and clunky, yet very enjoyable combat system. The next game that Sakaguchi makes, I would imagine could have a more smoothed out overall experience. It sort of reminds me of a janky European RPG in some respects, you're either going to like it for where it experiments, or you are not and are going to get a bit peeved off with it. Unfortunately, I ended up feeling a bit indifferent to the whole thing, sort of liking it and sort of pissed off with the whole thing (the combat, that is).

The last three or four hours of the game sort of make up for the very slow slog middle part of the game, since it all gets just so damned crazy. Like, totally insane. And it all ends rather nicely in a self contained storyline.

I will be there to play Mistwalker's next game anyway.

Devil May Cry 2

Pros:

Errr...art style? It's really good, well, Dante is anyway, the enemies are a bit lacking. They all seem to be animals you kill in this game...

And the random old lady at the start of the game, for making me laugh (that voice acting and character design...)

Cons:

Everything. The combat sucks (guns>swords in this game, it seems and it takes forever to kill enemies, plus the same four hit combo throughout the game, no variety), the same three or four enemies throughout the game, you even fight the same bosses multiple times and boy, does it get drawn out. the music forgettable, the art design okay-ish, the bosses infuriating, the design of the game lazy and haphazard (feels really rushed). In fact, the whole game just feels rushed, straight up. It's an insult, really.

Overall:

The first and (hopefully) only bad Capcom game on the PS2 that I have played.

REmake, which I beat again this time playing Jill's scenario:

Pros:

Best horror game on GameCube. (Not played Zero yet).
Crimson Heads. Next to the Lickers, Regenerators and the Hunters as my favourite regular enemies in the series.
The Trevor family. One of the best new additions of the game is the really disturbing story of the Trevor family.
The music.
The design of the mansion.
The weapons have such a powerful force to them - when you shoot a zombie in the head with a magnum, you really get that feedback from the game.
Barry Burton.
Albert Wesker.
Best cast in the series? Almost. Think I prefer 2's, but 1 has a really great cast of characters.
The great bosses. Neptune, Lisa Trevor, Plant 42, Yawn, Black Tiger, the Tyrant. Great, one and all.

Cons:
Erm...getting lost? That's the only flaw I can think of, I got lost a couple of times, sometimes it' a bit hard to figure out what to do next.

Overall:

Masterpiece.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Kenny
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm

^ I prefer this review :P
Ryudo wrote: The Last Story

Hironobu Sakaguchi & Nobuo Uematsu are some of the most legendary names in RPG's and gaming. We know them from the so famed series Final Fantasy. After many years ay Square Hironobu left Square in 2001 to form Mistwalker Studios. Mistwalker recently more well known for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

In the latest RPG form the studio The Gooch stepped in the directors chair for the first time since Final Fantasy V.
Teaming up once again with Nobuo Uematsu,Nobuo taken back that his first draft for the score was rejected by his long time co worker and friend. The didn't speak for a month until Nobuo sent Gooch a new score and wrote if you don't like this I quit. Luckily for Gooch it was perfect for the game he had in mind. The Last Story a game he wished to convey more emotion and less padding of traditional RPG's. Similar to Final Fantasy there were rumors that if this title does not do well he would retire. very Similar to Final Fantasy in 1989. So is this a new Final Fantasy or yet another cliche RPG refusing to push the genre forward.

Story
The game starts off as Dagran the leader of a group of mercenaries in a cave full of nasties. As they are ambushed you switch to Zael the main character. As they work their way through baddies they get cornered and Zael hears a mysterious voice and is given the power of the outsider. Eventually you are back in your home & pub. When sent out to get some supplies Zael runs into a mysterious girl on the run. You end the night with both Zael and the girl talking and having a good time and she leaves to go home. Next morning Zael and the other Mercs are hired to help keep guard during the Ball. Zael discorvers the girl was not who she says she was and as they talk the castle is attacked by a long absent enemy the Gurack.

This is where the game picks up. While the whole game does have a story as a whole it also has many smaller stories told in Chapters. Some are optional. This is a very character driven story as well as a love story. While it does of some old things we come to know. Chosen one,betrayal,corruption. The character driven story parts really drive it.
From characters in your parties to some minor characters. Also unlike most RPGs after the final fight. The game goes on a few chapters story and character driven. Mostly quiet. Similar to how the end of Shenmue has little excitement but let you take it in and feel good.
The first of many small touching moments in story telling
Gameplay
Now RPG's often have 2 options for battle systems. Turn based or Action based. What happens if you do something than either of those?
The power given to Zael is really a useful in battle. When you gather enemies focus on you alone. Letting your allies concentrate one helping you. Each alley has a their own trait and are very useful. it's as if you are playing the best more coordinated co-op. No running into walls or standing doing nothing. Allies are not there to make you look good like many RPG's. When close to an enemies you swing the sword automatically. You can also guard and counter. At times you need strategy. You can coordinate your party members to do what in a top down RTS like view. You will need to do this as many enemies going in head on just won;t always work. Similar style to old Ys bosses and some Zelda mechanics. Sometimes enemies and bosses are a puzzle. However it's streamlined so that while you do this you also don't have time nor have to think to long. At time you need to destroy a bridge so you can use your crossbow or need to find a weak point. Using the crossbow is very similar to a third person shooter. To help with that there is many well placed blocks,benches,obstructions to take cover. When not in battle you only have one town. Home and hub of the game. Ruli is quite large and much to do. From quests to the Arena to compete in the games. Ruli as said before in other topics is one of the best cities in a game ever. Sure it has many NPC but they don't just stand in one area. They dance they sing the have actual conversations. They can rob you or another NCP. Fights break out. Street performers try and earn money. Comedians need bananas. Children play. Sometimes people are clumsy and drop a basket of lemons and you slip on them.
Standard RPG fare you buy and upgrade armor and weapons. Unlike standard fare. You have to earn or buy color dyes. This way you can custom your outfits even more. Some special dyes add partial effects or butterflies or music notes or evil aurora. The best one is invisible. Feeling pervy then make the male or female clothes invisible while still having full protection of the armor!
Battle and Ruli life

Visuals
Mistwalker must love water. They pulled off some really great looking water effects in the game. They liked it so much they show it off every chance they can. Character design is subjective. I rather liked it. Some do not. I felt it had style but not so much it distracts from the game. They wanted the characters to have character while retaining a more realistic approach.
Environments are very detailed and crisp. It has a very old European style. All very crisp and nice reflections in marble floors. They paid much attention to detail. Maybe to much as the Wii struggles sometimes with the game. Animations are fluid and nice touches like walking a ledge your character tries to balance himself. You will see many small details that just amaze you they put that much effort in.

All in game screens

Music
Nobuo music in The Last Story if different than his Final Fantasy takes. Sure some music is catchy but it's mostly dramatic or the small ques for emotional moments. Also finds a way to use some of the same tunes but have a different emotion tied to it depending on the scene. While I do love the OST. My fave work of his is FF series. However I do think they may be some of his best work simply because of the emotion behind the music in the game.
Only post one song from the game.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSSHU6fFJA[/youtube]

Thoughts
To me this is what Final Fantasy should be. Good story telling and pushing the genre forward.
A another nice feature is instead of skipping cut scenes is fast forwarding. Yep just like an old VHS tape. Maybe just want to see a certain bit bit not the whole thing. While the game cut the fat and is only from 20-30 hours long it's a rich and packed in that small time. I would love to see this become a series.

This one isn't bad either ;-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9weQH10GS2E[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah, okay, we can agree to disagree on it. But you honestly didn't think that:

Dagran's transformation was too drastic too quickly?

Honestly?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Yeah, okay, we can agree to disagree on it. But you honestly didn't think that:

Dagran's transformation was too drastic too quickly?

Honestly?

It was. At the same time you kinda knew starting with the invasion of Jiralls Room. While I still was in disbelief going well that happened fast I was a bit distracted by this awesome music :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt809kr0jQo[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Glad someone else though DMC2 was garbage too.

I'd like to revisit it though and see if it's as bad as I remember.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Kenny wrote: Glad someone else though DMC2 was garbage too.

I'd like to revisit it though and see if it's as bad as I remember.

This is going to be interesting.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Hey, Kenny's more of a man than me anyway. He beat Superman 64, for crying out loud.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Hey, Kenny's more of a man than me anyway. He beat Superman 64, for crying out loud.

I grew up with my dad renting me LJN games on NES
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 pm

And LJN is?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: And LJN is?

Just watch Angry Video game nerd vids.

LJN was a toy company that made licensed games on NES and every single one is as bad if not worse than ET on Atari and Super Man 64(played both of those as well,own ET but never finished). This was not bad because it was licensed it was nearly as bad as Action 52.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming