Linux Users

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Linux Users

Postby ys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:55 am

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop and on a smaller notebook. My main pc is Windows7 only at the moment. Linux is impossible for me when it comes to music recording. Some of my audio specific hardware only works under Windows and Mac.
That new Gnome shell ... I don't know. I tested it and compared it to Unity. And frankly, it bothers me even more than Unity due to the workflow.

Regarding Linux Mint, did any of you read the creator's comment on his blog some years ago? :
“I don’t want any money or help coming from Israel or people who support the action of their current government. If you do not agree I kindly ask you not to use Linux Mint and not to donate money to it.”

Some people stopped using the distro after that since the Google search brings in money to the project. It's a bit odd to link this to an OS but it must be really important for him if he even makes a statement.
I myself tested it once, it's good but I can't remember now why I uninstalled it eventually.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 am

ys wrote: That new Gnome shell ... I don't know. I tested it and compared it to Unity. And frankly, it bothers me even more than Unity due to the workflow.

GNOME 3 is AWESOME if you're smart about using this: https://extensions.gnome.org/. The default GNOME 3 is a disaster.

It seems I was too quick to judge on that WiFi drivers case. The issues came back today. Now I don't lose full WiFi speed as quickly as before, but the problem's still here. I've tried every fix out there, but nothing works.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby ys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 pm

I tried the default around release so I can only judge from that. I did like some things but they didn't outweigh the bad for me. So I might check out that link if I have some time to play around with this stuff.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 pm

The default GNOME 3 was reported to give its users AIDS.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby ys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Uh-oh...
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 pm

I've just really started using Linux; I'm mainly using Fedora (although I have used Ubuntu), since Fedora's the closest (except for perhaps CentOS) to Red Hat.

Speaking of Red Hat, they very kindly (if slightly randomly) sent a cake to the office where I work today for a ten year anniversary.

Ash has received 2 thanks from: Peter, Yukupo
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr. Frozen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Where do you work at where the people from Red Hat would send you a cake?
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby nzk0 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I like what Ubuntu did with Gnome with Unity :)
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Ubuntu, here. I do like Linux, how it's all open and free. One thing that has always pissed me off about Linux is that I can't figure out how to set up the jax audio server, and so cannot use programs like Soundgarden.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:53 am

Martin wrote: Ubuntu, here. I do like Linux, how it's all open and free. One thing that has always pissed me off about Linux is that I can't figure out how to set up the jax audio server, and so cannot use programs like Soundgarden.

http://trac.jackaudio.org/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToJACKConfiguration
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012
http://www.linuxmusicians.com/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=916650
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote: I am officially done with using Linux as a desktop OS. Tired of spending more time fucking around with my computer rather than doing something productive with it.

I still use Linux for servers, though. It is so fast and easy to set up any type of server under Linux. You also can't beat the price. ;) The other night I installed Debian, and set up a MySQL database, phpmyadmin to manage it (involves installing php and Apache web server), and transferred my minecraft server over in like 30 minutes ( excluding the time it took to download everything).

I would like to say that this linux server is still up and running beautifully. Only issues I have is that when the computer shuts off due to some sort of external condition, it likes to corrupt files that are somewhat important to the operation of my server. I dont know if this is the ext4 filesystem or what, but that never has been an issue on my windows computer. On the upside, the Debian server is extremely stable. Whenever I need to do something in a desktop environment I load of XFCE and it still stays as stable as ever. When I am done with my work I just unload everything I used to free up those resources. Can't really do that with windows server, which is why I really like using linux as a server.

Still, I will never ever use linux as a desktop environment. Im currently using OSX, which I think is a perfect blend of windows usability and unix control. Only thing I dont like about OSX is that every program is programmed in objective c which means that the runtime environment handles everything, which can lead to heavy lag every now and again. Linux is a lot faster, but it doesn't have that solid commercial support. Whenever I run linux in a desktop environment I feel like I am running a hack on top of a hack on top of a hack, all of which were written by different people. Things do work, but the whole process of getting things to work and operate correctly isn't as smooth as it should be.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby nzk0 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 am

Mr. Frozen wrote:
Mr. Frozen wrote: I am officially done with using Linux as a desktop OS. Tired of spending more time fucking around with my computer rather than doing something productive with it.

I still use Linux for servers, though. It is so fast and easy to set up any type of server under Linux. You also can't beat the price. ;) The other night I installed Debian, and set up a MySQL database, phpmyadmin to manage it (involves installing php and Apache web server), and transferred my minecraft server over in like 30 minutes ( excluding the time it took to download everything).

I would like to say that this linux server is still up and running beautifully. Only issues I have is that when the computer shuts off due to some sort of external condition, it likes to corrupt files that are somewhat important to the operation of my server. I dont know if this is the ext4 filesystem or what, but that never has been an issue on my windows computer. On the upside, the Debian server is extremely stable. Whenever I need to do something in a desktop environment I load of XFCE and it still stays as stable as ever. When I am done with my work I just unload everything I used to free up those resources. Can't really do that with windows server, which is why I really like using linux as a server.

Still, I will never ever use linux as a desktop environment. Im currently using OSX, which I think is a perfect blend of windows usability and unix control. Only thing I dont like about OSX is that every program is programmed in objective c which means that the runtime environment handles everything, which can lead to heavy lag every now and again. Linux is a lot faster, but it doesn't have that solid commercial support. Whenever I run linux in a desktop environment I feel like I am running a hack on top of a hack on top of a hack, all of which were written by different people. Things do work, but the whole process of getting things to work and operate correctly isn't as smooth as it should be.

Do you have journaling enabled ? Also for a Debian server I have recently used Ubuntu Server and was extremely surprised of the performance/stability. My favorite server is CentOS though personally :)

Also, I'm 100% with you on Mac OS X. I still enjoy the flexibility of Linux but more as a hobby than a real full time OS.
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Using sources recommended by Ubuntu Tweaks was a bad idea. It dragged the 3.5 kernel with itself and I couldn't even boot it at first. When it finally did boot, it was just one big mess. Reverted to 3.2.

EDIT: I did a jump to 3.5 after a fresh install and this time everything went down perfectly. The system is even faster now. Let's hope this kernel FINALLY solves the RTL8187B WiFi card issue.

EDIT2:
RTL8187B still doesn't work properly. They will never fix it, and I can't use ndiswrapper because it's outdated and doesn't work with Ubuntu 12.04 running kernel 3.5. What a load of crap... #-o
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Off Topic