Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 pm

It's more an RPG than Shenmue ever claimed to be.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Very true, actually. I still find it funny that anyone ever thought Shenmue was an RPG.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Its got....but um you can....yea i got nuthin

It makes me wish they made a Rent=A=Hero using the Yakuza 5 engine, everything you need is there

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Always been curious about Rent-A-Hero. Shame that Xbox one never came out.
Was it a beat-em-up or just a more standard RPG (too lazy to look it up)?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

OL wrote: Always been curious about Rent-A-Hero. Shame that Xbox one never came out.
Was it a beat-em-up or just a more standard RPG (too lazy to look it up)?

The Xbox version was even finished, translated 100 percent, I play it here and there.

Its not too far off from Yakuza actually. Theres "encounters" just like Yakuza, skills that you can learn and sidequests on an open world with a similar scale as Yakuza. The battles even roll out in a real time beat em up fashion. The main difference is the setting, Rent a hero isn't at all serious and paying rent on the suit becomes important. Mantaro also gets some really weird moves like his laser hand. Considering the DC version is the same as the xbox one, maybe one day I'll write a guide.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 pm

^was it leaked at all?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:39 pm

south carmain wrote: ^was it leaked at all?

Yea, I dunno how easy it is to find anymore tho.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm

How the hell Y4 got so low scores? What the fuck is wrong with humanity? Y3 seems like some alpha-stage software when compared to Y4.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby OL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, with as much content, as much gameplay, as much personality, and as much fun as is packed into Y4, it's crazy to me that it still got treated by most as if it were just some second-tier, thowaway release.
It's technically sound, looks great, plays well (and has much more variety this time), and has an involved, complex story.
What more do people want, honestly?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

You guys were lying to me! You kept saying that Y4 is "very good". What a load of crap!

Y4 is fucking amazing! To say that it's better than Y1-3 is not enough. Y4 wipes the floor with Y1-3. The progress done is stunning. It's not only about the polish made both to the graphics and to the gameplay. Y4 has much more style, much more personality, much more human drama and it features an enormous improvement to the writing that was very good to begin with. To think they did it all in a year and with that rather crappy engine... It's really something.

I'm really curious about the FPS performance of Y5. Y4 can get pretty nasty slowdowns in bigger fights, mainly due to the improved light effects. I really hope the new engine will get around that, but I actually doubt it. It's not a big issue. The battles in Yakuza aren't frame-heavy by any means so the slowdowns aren't game-breaking. It just looks nasty.

BTW, Masa-kun is so great in my eyes that I really wish the whole game was about him. It wouldn't really be Yakuza anymore, lol, but I really want more of him.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I didn't expect it initially, but Tanimura may have ended up as my favorite character to play as in the game. I'd love to see more of him in the series, but it's kind of iffy since he's modeled after a real person. Image-licensing issues and all that. Be nice if Hiroki Narimiya wanted to come back at some point in the future.

But yeah, you're playing likely my favorite in the series. This is the whole reason I have such high hopes for Y5, since Y4 is already so damn big and complex and involved, and the next game is supposed to be even bigger.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 pm

OL wrote: But yeah, you're playing likely my favorite in the series. This is the whole reason I have such high hopes for Y5, since Y4 is already so damn big and complex and involved, and the next game is supposed to be even bigger.

For me, Y4 is the first Yakuza game that has the right to stand next to Shenmue (but still not high enough). I love it far more than Y1-3. It represents a whole new level of greatness. Hiroshige Narimiya is my man now. Great performance.

Y5 is supposed to be 5 times bigger. It's actually hard to believe. I know it's going to be much bigger and I can't imagine it being worse gameplay-wise, but SEGA is definitely over-blowing things. Just like that new engine deal. Still, Y5 is THE game I'm waiting for to be released. We need something official from SEGA USA. They shouldn't just wait like this.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

OL wrote: complex story.

Maybe that's what lost most people?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I got a little obsessed with comparing the gameplay graphics of Y5 to the gameplay graphics of Y4. There's no major improvement. These are official SEGA shots from both Y4 & Y5 battles:

Y5:Image
Y4:

Y4:

Y4:

Y4:

Y4 already looks like that. Texturing, lighting, clothing, poly count, res... It's Y4-level. People keep mixing the gameplay with the special cinematics and I'm afraid that when Y5 hits the West, all the reviewers will keep bragging about the gameplay graphics being a hoary old chestnut.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I don't mind if it looks the same if it loads a lot faster and works better.

Also its worth mentioning a game might have the exact same textures and polycount, but if its running at a higher refresh rate the player has more controls and the action flows smoother making filters and effects easier to see. For all i know it'll look exactly the same, or even play exactly the same, but after Ninja Gaiden 3 and other games that keep trying to stretch the formula alittle to far, I kind of am happy they are keeping things similar (though I'd be over the moon if they added shit AND kept the system familiar)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming