Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I don't mind if it looks the same if it loads a lot faster and works better.

Also its worth mentioning a game might have the exact same textures and polycount, but if its running at a higher refresh rate the player has more controls and the action flows smoother making filters and effects easier to see. For all i know it'll look exactly the same, or even play exactly the same, but after Ninja Gaiden 3 and other games that keep trying to stretch the formula alittle to far, I kind of am happy they are keeping things similar (though I'd be over the moon if they added shit AND kept the system familiar)

It can't be worse. We're not talking about new people taking over Itagaki's franchise while pretending that nothing changed. This is the Yakuza team we're speaking of and they're not going to fuck this one up. No chance in hell. That's obvious to anybody who played their games. They took twice the time to make this and it can only be better. The problem is that it got hyped too much as a graphical redefinition when it's not. Y4 already looks sweet to me because - le'ts stop the theorisation and be realistic here - an open world PS3 game can't look that much better while in gameplay. Sadly, one of the reasons why Y4's scores were so low were the graphics. People kept bashing them like crazy and it's going to be even worse when Y5 hits and all those people will not only say that's it not looking like something on a new engine, but that it looks especially bad in the era of FOX. I just hate all the shit the Yakuza franchise is getting in the West. It annoys me.

Then again, we don't even have a confirmation that Y5 is going to leave Japan. Seems impossible for it not to after Y3, Y4 and DS being localised, but you never know with SEGA. I need some official info here!
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Anyone knows if Dead Souls has multiplayer ? Some websites seem to suggest it does and others that it doesn't
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:35 pm

nzk0 wrote: Anyone knows if Dead Souls has multiplayer ? Some websites seem to suggest it does and others that it doesn't

Doesn't.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Its possible the reason they keep bringing up GWAFIX is because they're planning to bring it over and hype that feature. Hate to say it but when it comes to the West we're kinda gullible when it comes to that.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Its possible the reason they keep bringing up GWAFIX is because they're planning to bring it over and hype that feature. Hate to say it but when it comes to the West we're kinda gullible when it comes to that.

I been avoiding Demon Souls as to me it looks like a blatant attempt to be an overly serious gritty game trying to appeal to a western crowd. Visually dull to me and I just keep hearing they made it so hard just for the sake of it however I remember From Software always makes tough games. So people are whimpering because they forget how tough games used to be.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Bluecast wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Its possible the reason they keep bringing up GWAFIX is because they're planning to bring it over and hype that feature. Hate to say it but when it comes to the West we're kinda gullible when it comes to that.

I been avoiding Demon Souls as to me it looks like a blatant attempt to be an overly serious gritty game trying to appeal to a western crowd. Visually dull to me and I just keep hearing they made it so hard just for the sake of it however I remember From Software always makes tough games. So people are whimpering because they forget how tough games used to be.

Nah, I think I said it once before, its the same extremely Japanese game From has been putting out for years. The thing is most people never played stuff like Evergrace and king's Field so this is like super new to them, then again that ties into the whole gullible thing. Like "I haven't seen it so its new to me" even if stuff like it is easy to find most people won't bother going back and playing older (sometimes better) versions of the same game.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Dorian
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 pm

I just can't find anything appealing to me. ninja Blade I do want however.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Bluecast wrote: I just can't find anything appealing to me. ninja Blade I do want however.

Its understandable, as long as I've known you, you've always gone gaga for colour and stuff that has interesting filters. Somthing dark and broody like this with such muted colours just dosen't seem like it would float yo boat.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Bluecast wrote: I just can't find anything appealing to me. ninja Blade I do want however.

Its understandable, as long as I've known you, you've always gone gaga for colour and stuff that has interesting filters. Somthing dark and broody like this with such muted colours just dosen't seem like it would float yo boat.

There is exceptions but yeah color/style and such get me more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with Y4's story. I love every minute of it, but at the same time I just can't turn a blind eye to the fact that it ditches all logic starting from the end part of Tanimura's chapter. It gets so ridiculous in Kazuma's chapter and later that you can clearly see that somebody simply said "Fuck it. Let's blow some shit, do some betrayals and call it a day." The story was supposed to be the most complex of them all, but it only managed to get itself into a dead corner. It's also riddled with the cheapest plot tools ever. Everybody washing up at Kazuma's doorstep? Fate can be funny, but never that funny. Akiyama earning 100 billion yen from square zero in 4-5 years? He's smart, but nobody's that smart, and being smart is never enough to earn that kind of cash. People constantly being killed in front of Tanimura, but Tanimura himself is never harmed? Are the bad guys gay for his hot ass and don't want to hurt him? Oh please...

It's just the tip on an iceberg of shitty plot tools, but even though things stop making sense at a certain point and the whole chain of betrayals is very predictable, despite all of that, you still get hooked in. That's because the acting and dialogues are top-notch. It's just that somebody made a conscious decision to just let it all happen. They clearly had the whole Kamurocho setting overdone and wanted to end it with a bang. Dead Souls looks like a very logical step now - a sort of danse macabre on the ashes. Y5 is clearly a whole new game with Kamurocho being only a part of it, as Nagoshi was saying from the start.

I'm kinda scared that the story of Kazuma goes for too long now, though. You just need to know when to quit. I would have been much happier if Y5 was a true reboot, without Kazzy (as much as I love him) and his jazz. Then again, I'm sure I'll just eat all of the nonsense all over again and enjoy the show... unless there are going to be nanomachines involved.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby nzk0 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:29 pm

I just just started playing Yakuza 4 for and so far so good, I hope it'll be as good as Yakuza 3
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:30 pm

nzk0 wrote: I just just started playing Yakuza 4 for and so far so good, I hope it'll be as good as Yakuza 3

As good? :D

It's way better.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby nzk0 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Dorian wrote:
nzk0 wrote: I just just started playing Yakuza 4 for and so far so good, I hope it'll be as good as Yakuza 3

As good? :D

It's way better.

ohhhh yayyy :D Ive been playing it for a few hours now. Time for a break :P

nzk0 has received a thanks from: Dorian
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 am

You know, now that I think about it, all three of this gen's western Yakuza releases have already provided me with nostalgia (or, at the very least, memories that will eventually become nostalgia).
With Y3, 4, and Dead Souls, I can very clearly remember getting up early, buying them on release day, making lunch while the install process goes on, playing them as much as I could before work, all the way through to the days (usually sometime in the morning) that I would end up beating them. It really only just dawned on me now, but most current gen releases didn't do that for me. I remember the games themselves, of course, but I don't necessarily have fond memories of what was going on while I was playing them.
The Yakuza releases (and Binary Domain as well) all gave me that sort of "Christmas morning" sense of excitement at finally getting to play them all, kind of like how I can still remember my first time playing MGS or Wonder Boy in Monster World.
That's something special.

OL has received 3 thanks from: Dorian, nzk0, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am

That's because the Yakuza team (which is pretty much the Shenmue team, or rather what's left of it) makes games for... FUN. Not that they don't want to cash on them. Of course they want to! But they want to earn the cash fairly. You know, doing their best given the time and the budget and actually appreciating the gaming culture with in-game treats. Not like... say... creating interactive movies that mask their true identity with pseudo-artistic nonsense about human emotions and lies about reinventing the wheel. Ironically, the Yakuza games feature far more human drama than something like Heavy Rain. Maybe that's because SEGA actually takes the effort to hire genuine writers instead of relying on self-appointed scribblers? Just sayin'.
Last edited by Dorian on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming