Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby nzk0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Dorian wrote: That's because the Yakuza team (which is pretty much the Shenmue team, or rather what's left of it) makes games for... FUN. Not that they don't want to cash on them. Of course they want to! But they want to earn the cash fairly. You know, doing their best given the time and budge and actually appreciating the gaming culture with in-game treats. Not like... say... creating interactive movies that mask their true identity with pseudo-artistic nonsense about human emotions and lies about reinventing the wheel. Ironically, the Yakuza games feature far more human drama than something like Heavy Rain. Maybe that's because SEGA actually takes the effort to hire genuine writers instead of relying on self-appointed scribblers? Just sayin'.

It's amazing to me how the Yakuza games can exist in the west. It almost seems like they just want to make the fans happy as if it was a passion for them. I don't have any numbers but I doubt these games sell well here.

They make the games how they like it and don't try to please a western audience or anything, something which is very rare these days. It seems most developers just want to make money and that's it (see the rising P2P or F2P Item mall model, or even RMAH that was in Diablo 3) pure crap just to make money.

nzk0 has received a thanks from: Dorian
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:41 pm

nzk0 wrote:
Dorian wrote:It's amazing to me how the Yakuza games can exist in the west. It almost seems like they just want to make the fans happy as if it was a passion for them. I don't have any numbers but I doubt these games sell well here.

They make the games how they like it and don't try to please a western audience or anything, something which is very rare these days. It seems most developers just want to make money and that's it (see the rising P2P or F2P Item mall model, or even RMAH that was in Diablo 3) pure crap just to make money.

Kojima actually said that the Yakuza games shouldn't be set in Japan (sic!) and that the whole franchise is too Japanese. Just goes to show where the guy stands now. He would alter any vision to suit 'the market' and make 'everybody' happy. That's actually the reason why MGS4 sucked so hard for me.

Now that I think about it, Kojima always had something against his own country and culture. His games were (almost) always American-inspired, he always makes jokes about otakus etc. I think it's really unhealthy and pretty much falls under the same category as the naiveness of the Japanese who blindly identified with Western ideology and methods during the Meiji period.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby nzk0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Dorian wrote:
nzk0 wrote:
Dorian wrote:It's amazing to me how the Yakuza games can exist in the west. It almost seems like they just want to make the fans happy as if it was a passion for them. I don't have any numbers but I doubt these games sell well here.

Kojima actually said that the Yakuza games shouldn't be set in Japan (sic!) and that the whole franchise is too Japanese. Just goes to show where the guy stands now. He would alter any vision to suit 'the market' and make 'everybody' happy. That's actually the reason why MGS4 sucked so hard for me.

I think this is weird coming from him, especially with Metal Gear : Rising. Raiden is a very Japanese looking character unlike Snake.
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't know if Yakuza 4 is genuinely this funny or if it's simply in line with my sense of humour, but I'm laughing so hard that it's not even funny.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Just finished Dead Souls

it was a fun game though it would of been much better on its own engine, it constantly suffered from significant Frame rate drops and though playable the Gameplay did appear broken at times. overall I would say it's a great game if you're a Yakuza fan, not so much if you're not as it relies heavily on things related to past games, the story would drop significantly in value if you have no prior experience with yakuza

great fan service now I can just hope that we get Kenzan one day
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I am planning to buy Dead Souls this week, but it's funny how even the fans say that it's a mixed bag.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 pm

I say it's a mixed bag in regards to how others will inevitably view it.
I personally had an incredible amount of fun with it. I wasn't keen on the controls and the general nature of the shooting at first (mostly just back when I played the demo), but it eventually grew on me. And paired with the storytelling, which is Yakuza-standard excellence (provided you can accept the utter ridiculousness of everything), it's nothing but a completely winning formula in my book.
But at the same time, it's easy for me to imagine people being disappointed with it as a zombie shooter. There are other games with the same basic concepts which control better and might cater more toward other people's need for things like multiplayer and straight up challenge. Paired with the admittedly niche story, setting, and characters and it's very, very easy to see that it's clearly not for everyone.

I probably come off as being blind to faults when it comes to the games I love and praise, but that's very much not the case. I know it and understand when faults are there, I just fail to care about them when I'm having such a blast otherwise.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 pm

oh it also wins one of the awards for one of the most annoying enemies ever, damn monkey boy :mad:

@OL the main problem I had with the gameplay was when you're pressing R1 to aim in a general direction it blocks from time to time, this can be annoying when you're fighting off hordes, the frame rate drops really is my main problem with the game though, towards the end it happened so often i felt I was playing a high demanding game on a low spec pc

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 am

Eh, Dead Souls has a certain amount of "this don't work" to it. Part of it is intetional, part of it is by mistake, but the overall accomplishes the goal.

Its a flavor kinda thing, you want cherries, don't eat a cucumber. Sadly thats what people tried to do with it, assuming that because its a 3rd person game that has shooting, its a 3rd person shooter like Resident Evil or something. In truth its a arcady shoot em up thats got more in common with alien syndrome or Ikari Warriors then Vanwuish and Gears.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:51 am

^^Never thought of it like that, but yeah, the Ikari Warriors and Alien Syndrome comparison is pretty apt.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:53 am

Off topic but is Binary Domain SEGA'a attempt so capture some of that Genesis era Shooter charm back? Tho I hear it has a robust story and those older games gotta save girlfriend or aliens invaded. Simple as.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:49 am

Already ordered Dead Souls. The framerate drops are nothing to me because - sadly - I'm used to them. I think that VF5FS is the only PS3 game from my library that doesn't slow down.
Hell, Yakuza 3 was dropping down to 5-10 FPS when the Chinese mafia attacked.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 am

Bluecast wrote: Off topic but is Binary Domain SEGA'a attempt so capture some of that Genesis era Shooter charm back? Tho I hear it has a robust story and those older games gotta save girlfriend or aliens invaded. Simple as.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that. It's a modern TPS, through and through. It's a game very clearly made for fun, which, as we've mentioned, seems to be the Yakuza team's main prerogative. So it has that in common with the Genesis era.
Otherwsie it strikes me as incredibly modern though. Never really felt like a throwback of any kind to me. Nothing intentional at least.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

I actually feel like its progressive, theres a lot in there that I think other shooters should use. One thing being that its extremely vertical.You fire up and down at things a lot instead of on the same plane, or being on a rooftop because thats where the mission took you. You can, if you so choose, to scale a building and shoot down, or just go to town on streetlevel. In something like Gears you get a choice of which party member to go with and one goes high one goes low, or in Uncharted when you're hanging theres a scripted event that spawns a bunch of dudes for you to shoot while hanging.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah, Binary Domain is the next game I want to get. I got attached to the Yakuza Team, for better or for worse.

I have no idea when I'll be able to buy it since my incomes are null and just occasionally get some scraps here and there, but it's definitely on the list.

BTW - I've read that there's some bullshit behind BD's DLC. Something stuck in Japan?
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming