Bioshock Infinite

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Bioshock Infinite

Postby ys » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Debut trailer :

http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1111864p1.html

It looks nice visually judging from that trailer at least. Though just before the 02:00 mark it got me thinking of a Disney production :P I wonder how the gameplay will turn out, apparently quite actionfilled judging from their description. But I sometimes get the feeling that worlds looking like this could benefit from some more slowpaced sections.
They did mention by the way that it's the same team as the first game working on this one.
Last edited by ys on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Bioshock Infinite

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

The milk is starting to smell.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Ryudo wrote:The milk is starting to smell.

After three games? This is only the second from Irrational themselves. :-s
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:18 pm

What I personally would like is a third-person game in this world actually. With maybe a bit more adventure-styled gameplay and puzzles.
But that could just be me since I'm not that much into FPS-games ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Bioshock was one of those games that didn't need a sequel yet it got one to make more money on the series. Now a 3rd and it looks like something from metroid Prime 3 skytown.

I'm sure it will be a great FPS game but it's showing they just want more milk out of this series on something that had everything wrapped up in the first.
Now they are doing "oh and this part ,,erm and this part we didn't tell you about" which isn't really needed.

edit:ys I like how you think. Adventure games rock.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I think the milk was stink with 2 but infinite looks like an actual sequel. 2 just felt like an expansion. I can see what you mean, if unchecked this can become like Kingdom Hearts and become sour cream before long.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Tuffty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh man. I'm really excited by the looks of this. Preview here

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make more games like this. If you're a fan of a game, then how can you be upset that it's successful enough to justify more games and broaden out the universe a little or take it in new directions? A sequel gives the developers the opportunity to look back at what they did before, look at the criticism and improve upon it, making a better game. Look at games like Uncharted 2? Or Better yet, Assassins Creed 2? Both arguably much better games than their predecessors because they were able to work on what came before.

Don't forget, this isn't out until 2012. Doesn't strike me as strong as Activision ringing all they can out of COD or Guitar Hero. Still a lot of time before you can pass judgement on a game as being a lazy sequel.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is how a freaking sky city is somehow technologically inferior to Rapture. It's like technology working backwards XD
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I think the milk was stink with 2 but infinite looks like an actual sequel. 2 just felt like an expansion. I can see what you mean, if unchecked this can become like Kingdom Hearts and become sour cream before long.

Yeah.
Not every game no matter how great NEEDS a sequel. The first wrapped up the whole story.
The more they release the more is seems like they are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. "Hey guys even though we explained it all and wrapped up the story in the first game with no intention to make a series...well now we made a shit load of money. Lets force more stuff on the side of it with stories that are not needed...lets add some water milk carton.

Some series are designed for endless sequels and can still be relevent in gameplay and story and I mean direct sequels.
Yakuza can practically go on forever and still be good for example.(only speaking of story based games) Some like Bioshock is one of those you play love it and feel fully satisfied and don't want more as it filled every need and want.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ys » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Tuffty wrote:The only thing that strikes me as odd is how a freaking sky city is somehow technologically inferior to Rapture. It's like technology working backwards XD

Maybe it's not exactly inferior in every aspect. For example better at building certain things like buildings and less at weaponry. Maybe something along those lines.

Edit : But I usually think like Ryudo mentioned. Some games can have sequels, others create some feeling of it being forced. I'm not too bothered by it but can see the point for Bioshock at least. If the story can be a bit "tacked on" maybe some slight gameplay change might be a good thing to add?

Last edited by ys on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I think the milk was stink with 2 but infinite looks like an actual sequel. 2 just felt like an expansion. I can see what you mean, if unchecked this can become like Kingdom Hearts and become sour cream before long.

Yeah.
Not every game no matter how great NEEDS a sequel. The first wrapped up the whole story.
The more they release the more is seems like they are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. "Hey guys even though we explained it all and wrapped up the story in the first game with no intention to make a series...well now we made a shit load of money. Lets force more stuff on the side of it with stories that are not needed...lets add some water milk carton.

Some series are designed for endless sequels and can still be relevent in gameplay and story and I mean direct sequels.
Yakuza can practically go on forever and still be good for example.(only speaking of story based games) Some like Bioshock is one of those you play love it and feel fully satisfied and don't want more as it filled every need and want.

its sad that brand recognition has gotten that bad, When I heard we'd be testing Bioshock I jumped for joy because I played Systemshock to death. They could call it something different, with a different story but people don't like to jump on new IPs.

Another example is Ys one game leads almost directly to the next but not a single game in the series seems anywhere near as forced or similar to its predecessor as something like bioshock 2.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:if unchecked this can become like Kingdom Hearts and become sour cream before long.

Your dead to me.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:07 pm

lol hey its not my fault they're porting a cellphone game to DS and feel thats more important then making 3
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Don't forget remaking a GBA game into a PS2 game. I mean really??
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:18 pm

well they did that few years ago but they were nice to Japanese people and bundled it with a remake of KH 2, here we had to pay 30$ for it on its own. In terms of Main games theres only 1 and 2 but in terms of sides theres coded, chain of memories, re chain of memories, re coded, 382/2, and birth by sleep all within 8 years.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 pm

I just don't see the point in remaking a game on the GBA within a couple years apart. If they wanted it on PS2 then make it for PS2...that was not milking that was digging for undigested cottage cheese in my asshole.

The same was done in reverse for Xenosaga on DS. It's just pointless.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to General Gaming