Superman

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Superman

Postby OL » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:51 am

RyoHazuki84 wrote: All I want to see now is how he pulls off being Clark Kent at the Daily Planet. I loved how Christopher Reeve did the role and I liked how Dean Cain did the role as well. I think being Clark Kent is just as important to the character. I would really be upset if he has little to no role, but I hear the trailers are only the tip of the ice berg. Either way, I am looking forward to this movie. I think Superman Returns kind of gets bashed for all the wrong reasons. Creatively, it wasn't the way to go about it, but I don't call it a bad movie. I think if it came out in 83 instead of Superman 3, it would have been great, but Superman did change after 1986. I think Lois and Clark did a great job of capturing a good fraction of those qualities. I like how it made Clark Kent more of an average Joe and with some sex appeal (in a 90s sense of course) instead of a bumbling nerd. Will Henry Cavill's Clark Kent also be like the New 52 Clark Kent? Will he be a bumbling nerd? Or will they make him an every day guy?

Probably not the bumbling nerd.
Personally, I've always hated that representation of Clark Kent. It makes no sense. I've read many instances in the comics of Clark Kent wanting to be accepted by the world for who he is as a person, and not for how much weight he can lift. That's part of why he even does the whole "regular Joe with a job" thing. So that he can just be himself.
And from that perspective, why would he go around pretending to be this bumbling dope that he really, really is not?
I've always had a distaste for the old flicks very much in part due to that aspect of their interpretations of the character.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:02 am

^ Because no one bought Superman put's on glasses and BOOM HOLY SHIT LOOKS DIFFERENT. So I guess they added the bumbling fool so that not even possible it's the same guy. While Superman Returns sucked there was a scene where they were asking how tall both Clark and Superman are. As they grew a little suspicious clark did something stupid and then they realized nah not the same guy. Might be stupid but to me makes a more believable disguise than just glasses.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 am

Why would you be looking for believability in a movie about a guy from another planet who can shoot heat rays from his eyeballs?
Believability is a non-issue. I don't go into a superhero movie being bothered about things like that. At its core, Superman is exactly the kind of concept that the term "suspension of disbelief" was created for.
The more important aspect is how the characters are actually handled. And I personally have a total distaste for portraying Clark as bumbling and dopey.
My favorite portrayals are the ones where he has one goal in life: to successfully balance his life as a super-powered savoir with a life where he can just be himself, the regular guy who grew up in farm country and moved to the city to be a writer.

The comics have always communicated a sort of opposite nature between Superman and Batman.
With Batman, the costumed hero beating up villains is meant to be the real deal, the actual personality of the character, while Bruce Wayne is a mask, a fictional personality meant to fool people.
In the case of Superman however, average joe Clark Kent is the real personality, while the costumed Superman is the facade.
That sort of duality has been an essential part of the DC Universe for a helluva long time now. And I've always felt that having Clark pretend to be something he's not when he's dressed in his civvies is a complete betrayal to that whole concept.

So believable or not, I ain't a fan of Clark Kent acting like a bumbling, half-competent fool.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:41 am

Well somethings are just to far stretched even in fantasy. If we are to believe his secret identity it has to at least look somewhat different whether that be looks or mannerisms. Why did Aliens not work in Indiana Jones? Just not everything can work in the realm of fantasy otherwise you have a total disconnect with an audience. Maybe hardcore Comic Book nerds read every story and know more why in comics it works. Just not everything that works in ink works on screen. Seeing how before Superman in 1978 the closest Super Hero live action people were used to was Adam West and George Reeves and was more a kids show and comics were even less mainstream. Was simpler to just bullshit around. For a wider and more grown up audience they had to sell people more.

Today Reeves and Donner (Superman II does not count as that was mostly Lesner making it a comedy) may seem a bit cheesey and hokey by modern standards with the likes of Nolan and such but for 1970's was pretty breakthrough. (even tho I hated Hackman on Luthor,animated series does a great job with Clancy Brown IMO)

I am sure Nolan has an updated version of Clark and will have his own way. Just saying for the time it came out I think they had to in order to get more than Kids and not have the film be Adam West and Shark replellent or George Reeves thwarts gangsters by bending a lamp around them then smashes a window.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby QWERTY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm hoping this film doesn't take itself too seriously. I think that's why I'm so at odds with the Dark Knight trilogy now. It's all well and good making a superhero film that is attempting to be hyper-realistic but when it comes down to it it ruins the experience because you can't take it seriously when you sit there and think "fuck me, this douche is dressing up like a muppet and putting on a proper stupid voice". Trying to base a superhero film in reality is detrimental to the overall vibe. Hence why I personally prefer The Avengers (I steadfast refuse to call it Avengers Assemble) and X Men.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm

When they make the second film. Hugo Weaving as Brainiac?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

The reason why nobody makes the connection between Clark Kent and Superman is that nobody realises that Superman has a "secret identity". His high level of activity, plus the fact that he doesn't wear a mask means that people just accept he's an ever-present superhero.

And besides, when someone's hovering above you, hulking arms crossed, eyes shining like a fucking red diamond, cape flowin n shit, are you really gonna be like "let's get a look at his face"? Hell fucking no, you're gonna have an involuntary bladder spasm and bowel movement.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Not Army of 2 or Fallout. Zodd's Helmet
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Calshot » Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 am

To be fair, while it's still not completely believable, there's a bit more to the disguise than just glasses.

Green Lantern: Clark hides behind a pair of glasses and you're worrying about me?
Flash: Clark slouches, wears clothes two sizes too big, and raises his voice an octave.

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 am

Funny in a way, I recently pulled off doing the Clark Kent thing. Just the other day, almost nobody recognized me without my glasses on
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66IlpP3LIHE[/youtube]

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Seriously man, when are you gonna start up your own site? The rate you post news you wouldn't even need any help.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 am

Awesome trailer is simply that. Don't think i need to see any more of these before the film now.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster