SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated March 29)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated July 21)

Postby OL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 am

Bluecast wrote:Just realized your voice sounded much more crisp and less tinny this time.

:nice!:
The wonders of a new, top-quality microphone. This one seems to be working out really well, so I think I can stop searching for a new one now. This was the first recording session where I didn't end up getting pissed off at any point, because all of the equipment worked perfectly.
Now it's just a matter of maybe delivering my lines a little more naturally. Still working on that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 am

Many YouTube commenters are shockingly simple, and they often vandalize quality channels with primitive scrawlings. A single "dislike" might just as easily refer to that person's opinion of the game itself, with no regard whatsoever for anything you said, or the time you took to create a video review for them. So, I wouldn't give it a second thought, especially since you can trust us, and we say your show is excellent.

If you don't mind saying, what mic do you use? Just curious. I'm an amateur audio engineer.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:32 am

This is the mic, though I got it for a much better deal than anything that's on amazon right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones- ... microphone
Amazing sound quality, considering how simple it is to operate.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am

I just got a blue yeti recently. I love it :)

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 am

Very nice. :)

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby sylentknyte » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 am

OL, I love your videos. Just got to say, if you're going to be an internet reviewer of any kind you need to develop thicker skin. A single dislike is nothing to worry about, just shrug it off your shoulder and move on. Instead of focusing on a single dislike, focus on the like/dislike ratio. On your latest video you have 95% likes, which is awesome.

If you can't handle a single dislike without reason, just wait until you get some trolls. It may not happen since you're focused on this forum and our users, but if a video of yours gets popular, you'll get some trolls. Like I said man, pay attention to the positives, take in constructive criticsm, and brush trolls and haters off your shoulder.

sylentknyte has received a thanks from: OL
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Normally with Vids like this i see the thumbs down being directed at the game itself rather than the video. Unless of course they bitch about it/OL in the comments.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 pm

So, almost done with another video. Writing's done, video recording's done. All that remains is voice recording (which just takes a couple hours) and editing, which, despite always working really hard on it, never seems as strenuous as the writing or recording parts.
Hopefully out just before Halloween.

Thinking I'll aim for a "Game of the Year Awards" kind of video in a bit. Starting to record gameplay footage from the contenders already.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, KiBa
OL
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 am

Can't wait, OL. I've been looking forward to your next entry, and wondering when you might make an announcement.

With Happy Console Gamer on vacation, and no TV, I was left with nothing.
:)
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:20 am

KiBa wrote: Can't wait, OL. I've been looking forward to your next entry, and wondering when you might make an announcement.

With Happy Console Gamer on vacation, and no TV, I was left with nothing.
:)

I thought he went to get married and after the film was taking a long hiatus
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby KiBa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 am

Yes, that's right. Good for him.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 am

Well aware of its problems, as usual, but I did manage to get it out by Halloween, so that's at least one goal reached.
It's basically just an adaptation, in a way, of my old text review for the same game. Had to change some things of course (and I kind of wish I would have been a little more thorough), but eh, new video's a new video.
My power was out for about 26 hours thanks to the hurricane, but luckily it came back on in time for me to quickly finish this and get it out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZKATGDtPE[/youtube]

I'm mostly just proud of the intro (everything before I start talking). You wouldn't know it, but there was a LOT of careful editing work that went in to all that. Transparencies, layers, speed adjustments, sound alterations... that sucker took a helluva lot of trial-and-error tweaking.

EDIT: Oh, and since I had to record the game using some slightly odd methods (hooking the PS3 up to an HDMI converter, converter outputting S-video to my capture device, capture device to the computer), the original footage of the game came out with a slight reddish hue, so I had to do tweaking on every single clip to fix that. Because of that, the footage looks slightly less vibrant than the actual game does. During the purplish and reddish-looking stages, in-game they actually "pop" a bit more than is evident in this video.
Just something to note. The colors aren't quite as "dulled" in-game.

OL has received 6 thanks from: Kenny, KiBa, Rakim, Tuffty, Who Really Cares?, wude
OL
Shenmue III

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated October 31)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 am

Very cool edit at the start and a Good video on a whole.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 am

Very nice as always.

I would love to hear more about your personal thoughts on the game and certain game play parts you think are really good and what is bad. I always enjoy reviews where people talk more what it's like playing a game rather then just talk about the game itself. It would make your reviews even longer as I wouldn't suggest removing stuff since I find the background stuff like with the actors very interesting.

Anyway I still loved it regardless and look forward to what ever comes next.

*cough* Christmas NiGHTS *cough*

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm

^^Good feedback. My next video (or at least one of my next videos) is likely going to be a sort of "Game of the Year" thing and I'll be talking about a few different games, so it'll likely be more of what you're suggesting, rather than the usual long-winded background info. More of a quick summary for each one, and then my favorite things about them, personal experiences, all that.
Also pretty far along on a video that's mostly about my own personal interpretation of a game that I find artistic, but most people dismiss. So the more "personal" aspect should start to become a little more prevalent.

Much appreciated guys.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming