SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated March 29)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated March 29)

Postby OL » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 pm

I could cover more, I suppose, but I don't think any others have quite grabbed me by the throat the way Time Crisis does. I like other ones, I'm just not quite as passionate about them, I guess.
I've had my eye on Project Horned Owl for a long time now, though. Always thought that looked great.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri May 16, 2014 2:31 pm

What game did you originally review in the video that you've taken down (the one with the robot)? It's driving me crazy because I can't remember. Not sure if I've already asked you this or just thought about it really really hard.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri May 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Burning Force, I think? The robot was in that one, and one for Tenchu: Fatal Shadows. Both videos are just embarrassing now, but I'd kind of like to re-cover the games in question because they're both favorites of mine.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue May 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Ah ok -- thanks. I don't particularly remember the videos being bad, although, I honestly don't really remember much about them at all. I'm a pretty forgetful person.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue May 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Or maybe they were just forgettable. :P

Having trouble settling on a subject for my next one. Granted, I haven't actually been devoting all that much time to gaming in the past few weeks anyway, but I'm still trying to plan. Kind of torn between a lot of things.
-A spotlight on my favorite racing game
-A series overview of a particular fighting series
-A series overview of a giant robot series
-A spotlight on a separate giant robot game (which is completely different from the aforementioned series)
-A tribute to a certain development studio
-A sort of "games I love that everyone else hates" kind of thing
-A list of some of the best heavy metal soundtracks in gaming (which would mostly just be excerpts of specific tracks overlayed on gameplay with popup text comments throughout)
-A spotlight on an underappreciated horror game
There's all kinds of shit clanking around in my head, but I'm not sure what to settle on.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

OL wrote:Having trouble settling on a subject for my next one. Granted, I haven't actually been devoting all that much time to gaming in the past few weeks anyway, but I'm still trying to plan. Kind of torn between a lot of things.
-A series overview of a giant robot series
-A spotlight on a separate giant robot game
-A tribute to a certain development studio
-A list of some of the best heavy metal soundtracks in gaming

I would like one of those. I know it takes time to do something like this. But it would be nice to see one or more of them in the future. :D

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: OL
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Ken Lobb who is "Partner Creative Director" (sort of like the guy who makes the third party deals/IP revivals happen) at Microsoft Game Studios just linked your review of Phantom Dust

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWa9t0Sqt6Q … This does a great job of expressing my love for Phantom Dust. And TJ Combo is AWESOME. E3!"

https://twitter.com/RealKLobb/status/476058253923602432

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Oh wow, that's... actually pretty cool.
I actually think that particular video has gotten a few thousand extra views over the past couple days. Never really payed attention to view counts much before, but when I saw that it was up to something like 23000, it surprised the hell out of me (last I remember looking, it was only like 13 or 14 thousand). I guess the new announcement lit a fire under a few people. Also got an insane amount of subscription notices in my email.

EDIT: Still trying to figure out a subject for the next video, but in light of this jump in viewership thanks to Phantom Dust, maybe I'll touched upon another telekinetically-themed game/series...

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:31 am

I believe this series has enormous amount of potential to become something pretty big.

Especially if you make videos based on well-known franchises like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 am

Well thank you. :)
I'd actually really like to do some more well-known stuff (and finding info on them would be way easier than what I work with normally), but the only holdup is that I generally want to offer something that hasn't been covered before. And the bigger games, as much as I absolutely love them, would probably get covered in a couple hundred thousand places on youtube by the time I roll around to them. I mean, the main reason the Phantom Dust video has gotten as many views as it has is because there aren't any other good videos of it on youtube; any others are just guys talking to the camera about it.
If I were to cover any bigger games, I'd have to find my own spin on it to make it something special. Sort of like the Dead to Rights: Retribution one. The game itself had probably been video-reviewed a thousand times over by that point, but mine was a little more unique because it placed a bigger emphasis on the pet-owner relationship, and acted as a tribute to my own pets. I have to find angles like that so I'm actually offering something new.

EDIT: Oh, just occurred to me, I actually was working on something much more mainstream a while back: a list of my favorite Assassin's Creed missions, from AC1 to AC4. Recorded a lot of stuff and wrote a good amount, but got about halfway through Revelations and burnt myself out.
May get back to it eventually, though by that time I may have to add another game or two to the lineup.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Well that's the thing. There are alot of videos covering the same game...but only a few are worth watching. Few of the amateur stuff I've seen consists of guys rambling on and on for over ten minutes, so it gets boring pretty fast.

You take it to the pro level by not only inserting in-game footage you think highlights your point best, but you also include high quality audio and give a rundown about the games history. You learn something while getting bombarded by video footage of the game in action. That to me is what makes your stuff stand out so even if you retread old ground, people are likely tune in and spread your stuff around like in that tweet.

Personally I love watching retrospectives that give lots of insight on a particular game while giving alot of "best of" moments peppered around and I'm actually quite peeved when I see some random sweaty guy wave a game case around telling me why he loves it (no offense to any sweaty guys who wave game cases around and do unboxing vids, you know I love ya....*cough*).

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Kenny wrote: I'm actually quite peeved when I see some random sweaty guy wave a game case around telling me why he loves it (no offense to any sweaty guys who wave game cases around and do unboxing vids, you know I love ya....*cough*).

I was eating when I read that. I couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish the bite I had just taken and choked on my sandwich. Kudos!

Raithos has received a thanks from: Kenny
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Glad to know I was almost indirectly involved with your death.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to General Gaming