Automotive Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Official Automotive Discussion

Postby Axm » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Lots of people hate on it but lots of people love it too. Thing about alot of the cars out there like the two I showed, thats not the actual ride height when they want to drive around. Its on air bags and adjustable at any given time.
Its just car fashion. Everyone has their own style or lack thereof.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Main problem you have with lowered cars is exhaust leaks from too many speed bumps. I am not really a fan of lowered, not for a street car anyway.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

Agree with all the above. It annoys the hell out of me when I get stuck behind a car that LOOKS like it should be fast, but it's going at less than walking speed over the speed bumps and terrible surfaces they have here.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm

To me a car like a computer is a tool. Tho there are enthusiasts like I love fast PC's and badass ones(like mine) just bothersome when looks take away a major functionality making it practically useless.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Alot of people get confused what makes a car fast. And thats acceleration times, that is backed behind horse power and torque (torque to a lesser extent but more so on say a uphill racing course, it plays a major factor). Top speed of a car is not what makes a car fast, despite that the car is going fast, what makes all us gear heads soil our pants is how fast it can get to those speeds. like 0-60 in 3 seconds, or a "10 second car" which can run a quarter mile in 10 seconds or less, specs under the hoods of those types of cars are very impressive.

Honestly though, when it comes to motors and engines in vehicles, we are still using pretty dated technology. I am surprised they havent found a whole other way to accelerate our vehicles, the real reason is because of gas. Gas keeps the whole auto industry on lock because they make too much money of gas and im sure gas companies are paying car companies to keep making their cars use gas. Whats so bad there is tech about right now that could not only take away our plunging of the earth and sucking it dry (super electric cars, that are actually FAST), but also tech that would allow us to take to the air to get around (flying cars have been in development for a while actually) Luckily hope seems to be on our side because there are cars in development and even out right now that use no gas at all, they really suck and its the first batch of technology that will hopefully one day flourish, but its something.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, I was kinda making a sweeping generalisation with the whole "looking fast" thing, like what I really meant is young dudes with cheap FWD cars that have body kits and lowering kits on. ;-)
I think they're called "ricers" over there. ;-)

Obviously that was a just a sweeping generalisation and there are many, many exceptions to all of this. All I meant was, the guys with cars that are way too low to to be practical, though there WAS an R33 GTR that rolled about town, which even completely stock power-wise is still gonna be "pretty fast", that had to do the same stupid thing over the bumps.

I was kinda in agreement with your first post, not being that huge a fan of "street" cars with too-low suspension. These days I kinda go as far as to agree with Ryudo too, in that most cars are just "white goods" to most people, so the current trend of even some "normal" Euro cars having rock-hard suspension is quite a nasty thing on the shit roads of a lot of the UK, sadly. I'm still a car guy though, so obviously I'd still love a current GTR or Porsche GT3 etc., but only with something much softer for everyday...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:LOOKS like it should be fast, but it's going at less than walking speed over the speed bumps

Because a bone stock F40 isn't fast, or it should be able to fly over speed bumps? This statement infers one of these must be true when in fact neither are. If you see where I'm going with this, ride height has nothing to do with whether a car is or isn't fast. Most high performance vehicles crawl over speed bumps or avoid them all together, not because they lack any sort of formidable performance, but because they are out of element and not intended for such trash roads. At the end of the day it's still a vehicle and to arrive at a destination with preferable terrain, you'll sometimes need to go through unfavorable conditions. Perhaps next time you're behind one of these cars, given it isn't some cut springs shit grocery getter, you'll think of it this way. If it is the former however, you're absolutely correct.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Honestly though, when it comes to motors and engines in vehicles, we are still using pretty dated technology. I am surprised they havent found a whole other way to accelerate our vehicles, the real reason is because of gas. Gas keeps the whole auto industry on lock because they make too much money of gas and im sure gas companies are paying car companies to keep making their cars use gas. Whats so bad there is tech about right now that could not only take away our plunging of the earth and sucking it dry (super electric cars, that are actually FAST), but also tech that would allow us to take to the air to get around (flying cars have been in development for a while actually) Luckily hope seems to be on our side because there are cars in development and even out right now that use no gas at all, they really suck and its the first batch of technology that will hopefully one day flourish, but its something.

Yeah, I can definitely see electric becoming a formidable power plant someday. Just going by my R/C hobby alone, the progression has been incredible. Electric used to be laughable in comparison to nitro gas powered, though with the new brushless motors they are outperforming gas in almost every case. Similar power curves (and in some cases more powerful) with a wildly lighter chassis makes for great things. It's only a matter of time.

Yama has received a thanks from: Axm
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am

Yama wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:LOOKS like it should be fast, but it's going at less than walking speed over the speed bumps

Because a bone stock F40 isn't fast, or it should be able to fly over speed bumps? This statement infers one of these must be true when in fact neither are. If you see where I'm going with this, ride height has nothing to do with whether a car is or isn't fast. Most high performance vehicles crawl over speed bumps or avoid them all together, not because they lack any sort of formidable performance, but because they are out of element and not intended for such trash roads. At the end of the day it's still a vehicle and to arrive at a destination with preferable terrain, you'll sometimes need to go through unfavorable conditions. Perhaps next time you're behind one of these cars, given it isn't some cut springs shit grocery getter, you'll think of it this way. If it is the former however, you're absolutely correct.

This is answered in the post before yours. I think WAY too much was made of my "fast" comment. ;-)
That said, it is annoying and borderline unacceptable no matter WHAT car is driving too slow over the bumps. I can personally attest that the R33 GTR driver I mentioned before certainly did not like it when his "fast" car that he was driving slowly over bumps got overtaken by French cars. [-X :lol: His own fault for pansy-ing it about though.

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: silent killer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

Driving 5mph down a narrow lane because i knew the person stuck behind me :mrgreen:

Anyone else not allow people to eat/drink in their car? I don't and for some reason some people think I'm joking when i tell them its not allowed.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Yama » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:This is answered in the post before yours.

Not really, no. It was made apparent that just because cars look fast, it doesn't mean they are. I'm making the point that just because they are low, it has nothing to do with practicability or their ability to go fast. Quite the different topic, actually. No need to take offense, your reply simply opened a door to another angle. You are very much right to hone your own opinion mind you, in some areas it makes total sense. A slammed grocery getter lacks any practical reason other than form, which at that point is up to the owner and none of our business. While it may succeed in what they are going for as a show car, you'd be right in saying it serves no literal purpose and negatively affects the cars performance. I'm simply informing you that the reason many sports cars are at such a height are for handling, cornering and other usable features. It all depends on the terrain.

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:I can personally attest that the R33 GTR driver I mentioned before certainly did not like it when his "fast" car that he was driving slowly over bumps got overtaken by French cars.

Yeah, I'm sure he gave a single eff. Sounds like a "ricer fly by" to me. :rotflmao:

I'm sure he's a proper enthusiast who didn't want to abuse his suspension and was just chillin'.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Yama wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote:Honestly though, when it comes to motors and engines in vehicles, we are still using pretty dated technology. I am surprised they havent found a whole other way to accelerate our vehicles, the real reason is because of gas. Gas keeps the whole auto industry on lock because they make too much money of gas and im sure gas companies are paying car companies to keep making their cars use gas. Whats so bad there is tech about right now that could not only take away our plunging of the earth and sucking it dry (super electric cars, that are actually FAST), but also tech that would allow us to take to the air to get around (flying cars have been in development for a while actually) Luckily hope seems to be on our side because there are cars in development and even out right now that use no gas at all, they really suck and its the first batch of technology that will hopefully one day flourish, but its something.

Yeah, I can definitely see electric becoming a formidable power plant someday. Just going by my R/C hobby alone, the progression has been incredible. Electric used to be laughable in comparison to nitro gas powered, though with the new brushless motors they are outperforming gas in almost every case. Similar power curves (and in some cases more powerful) with a wildly lighter chassis makes for great things. It's only a matter of time.

Also when you take gas out of the equation you also take out the horrible emissions thats really bad for the environment. These new cars would have no emissions at all. I am sure it will some day happen but right now the gas companies are too greedy to give up their precious commodity. Also the economy might actually crash if we stop using gas, plus many jobs would be gone, and if the whole world conformed to a new way to drive our vehicles, then its world wide job loss. Its just one of those thing that has to be implemented slowly over time. Although the gas companies might not stop till the earth is sucked dry, although it will be too late by then, I could still see it happening though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Jesus. It was just an off the cuff comment. And I know plenty enough about cars to know that some track focused stuff would probably not even be able to drive over some of those bumps.

R33 guy was deffo not pleased. I know this 'cos on my way past, I looked across and deliberately shook my head at him to make my feelings on his inconsiderate driving known. He wasn't amused. The bus that was behind me also swooshed past him too, BTW. Pretty safely too, it's a 30mph zone so overtaking isn't exactly common there, but it was straight and clear and with him maneuvering it like he did, it didn't take either of us long to pass.
If I had to pander to my car THAT much every time I went into town, I'd throw it in the bin. :shock:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Jesus. It was just an off the cuff comment. And I know plenty enough about cars to know that some track focused stuff would probably not even be able to drive over some of those bumps.

R33 guy was deffo not pleased. I know this 'cos on my way past, I looked across and deliberately shook my head at him to make my feelings on his inconsiderate driving known. He wasn't amused. The bus that was behind me also swooshed past him too, BTW. Pretty safely too, it's a 30mph zone so overtaking isn't exactly common there, but it was straight and clear and with him maneuvering it like he did, it didn't take either of us long to pass.
If I had to pander to my car THAT much every time I went into town, I'd throw it in the bin. :shock:

It's cool and you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm just saying, thousands in suspension parts are not worth risking over a couple of seconds of inconvenience. But hey, you'd be glad to know if I was the one in front of you, I'd have at least put on my flashers out of respect. :P
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 am

I had a post here now it's gone.

In any case is it weird that if I could drive it would be a Honda minivan?

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Yama wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Jesus. It was just an off the cuff comment. And I know plenty enough about cars to know that some track focused stuff would probably not even be able to drive over some of those bumps.

It's cool and you're entitled to your own opinion. I'm just saying, thousands in suspension parts are not worth risking over a couple of seconds of inconvenience. But hey, you'd be glad to know if I was the one in front of you, I'd have at least put on my flashers out of respect. :P

I'm not as much a "hater" as I sounded with those posts. ;-) There was a guy who lived two doors along from him, who had a less-obvious GTS 25-T, it was also visibly modified and TBH looked like an absolute weapon, it was also able to do normal stuff though. It was just the thought that as a normal GTR, it's already a highly capable car and able to do everything. Lowered to the extent that he did though at the same time as using it as his "daily", it frustrated a part of me beyond all reasonableness. It wasn't that I was deliberately being a dick or making a point when I passed him, it was a genuine "SRSLY!?" momonet.

And to be fair, the buses are faster than pretty much EVERYONE over the speedbumps, too. ;-)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic