Automotive Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Automotive Discussion

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey, still looks in decent condition for the price you got it for. I'd expect one in that condition to still sell for around $2000 USD around here.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LawXiu » Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm

The body isn't bad and cleans up nice but I'm just not a BMW fan. The problems it's got aren't cheap to fix. The O2 sensor will be £110 if I fit it myself. I just don't think the car is worth the repair bill.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:24 pm

so apparently its gonna be very expensive to get the body worked on for that WRX since the car is aluminum, it has atleast 6 spots that have small to medium size dents. apparently aluminum is very fragile and cant be bent more than a few times without tearing. So if I get that subaru I will have to live with the dents cause its honestly just too expensive to get fixed. What kind of offer do you think I should make this guy considering the body damage, I dont think even paying $7000 even for it is really realistic maybe $6800 or less? It needs about 2 grand worth of body work and probably a paint job.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Here's one of me getting pulled over for being awesome.

Some sticker bombing I did recently.

And some more recent

Pretty happy with it as it stands now. Wont be putting anymore money into it as ill have to sell it by the end of the year before going back to japan.
Love the car though. Never get tired of hearing the supercharger whine and distinctive pop and burble of the exhaust.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: LawXiu, Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yama » Tue May 28, 2013 7:04 pm

My favorite Cooper. Very tasteful.

Surge101 wrote: Pictures!!

I will when back on my main computer tonight.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Nice car and love that sticker bomb. What are you going to Japan for?
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks! Going to Japan because I used to live there, my wife is japanese and for job opportunities.
Thats why I got a euro here. When I go back I know ill be getting something late 90's jdm. I cant wait altough it might take me a few years and a house before I commit to a project car.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Yama » Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 pm

'97 Mitsubishi VR-4 (GTO MR)

Haven't showed it on here in ages, way different than the last time. Even these images are a tad dated now, though I love them. Visually speaking nothing too drastic since these, just had the front fenders rolled and lowered it even more all around, rears are now maxed.

For anyone that doesn't know it's a 3.0L Twin Turbo and is making 500HP on JDM 13G's @ 17psi. The car is AWD and AWS, VR-4 stands for vicious real time four wheel drive. Bought the car BONE STOCK, have done everything to it myself outside of the professional dyno tune.

Yama has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast, LawXiu, Sean
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Dont lie, Jesus himself built that car.

Axm has received a thanks from: Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Surge101 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 am

Axm wrote: Thanks! Going to Japan because I used to live there, my wife is japanese and for job opportunities.
Thats why I got a euro here. When I go back I know ill be getting something late 90's jdm. I cant wait altough it might take me a few years and a house before I commit to a project car.

Super jealous. I've always wanted to go to/live in Japan. Are you fluent in Japanese? How is the language barrier?

Yama wrote:'97 Mitsubishi VR-4 (GTO MR)

Haven't showed it on here in ages, way different than the last time. Even these images are a tad dated now, though I love them. Visually speaking nothing too drastic since these, just had the front fenders rolled and lowered it even more all around, rears are now maxed.

For anyone that doesn't know it's a 3.0L Twin Turbo and is making 500HP on JDM 13G's @ 17psi. The car is AWD and AWS, VR-4 stands for vicious real time four wheel drive. Bought the car BONE STOCK, have done everything to it myself outside of the professional dyno tune.

Beautiful, i'd love to know the details on the build.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 am

Surge101 wrote:Super jealous. I've always wanted to go to/live in Japan. Are you fluent in Japanese? How is the language barrier?

Im not fluent but im at a conversational level. You'd be suprised how far that gets you in Japan, especially if you have someone to help you. In my case my wife, but you know, im always learning.
Biggest thing is being able to say;
"GTR wa ikura desuka"
(How much is the GTR?)
;)
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am

Aren't new cars a LOT cheaper over there?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Surge101 wrote:Beautiful, i'd love to know the details on the build.

Thanks and sure.

More or less wanted one of these since I was a kid, especially a late model. They're hard to find in general, especially clean. There were only 512 produced. Ended up getting this one in '09, it was daily driven by a doctor to work and thus was bone stock and in good condition. I was going to keep it all original due to it's rarity but that didn't last long.

Power wise the car already moved in stock form, but the 9b turbos fell flat at higher RPM's. I wanted to keep the car reliable, something I could take on a trip with my girl and enjoy through out the summer, not something I'd have to constantly worry about. I also wanted it to spool fast, thus making it a fun street car (launching this thing is crazy).

Here's what achieved this goal and made 500hp safely:

• JDM 13G Turbos
  • Denso 450cc's
  • Walbro 255LPH
  • 3SX Hot Wire Kit (Hot wired fuel pump)
  • CX Front Mount Intercooler Kit
  • 3SX Pre-Turbo Pipes
  • Custom Cat Back Exhaust
  • Stillen Downpipe
  • No Cats
  • Greddy Type-S BOV
  • 3SX High-Capacity Single-Pass Radiator
  • SPEC Stage 2 Clutch
  • Intake
  • HKS EVC-S Boost Controller
  • Apexi SAFC2 Air Flow Converter
  • Innovate DB-Series Wideband Gauge and Sensor
  • An amazing dyno tune by Pampena Motorsports who specialize in these cars.

The cars come ridiculously high as a 90's Grand Tourer and mixed with the weight it could feel boat like at times. Despite keeping climate control and other amenities in order to retain the cars functionality, she did loose 300lbs through other deletions, upgrades, etc. Mix this with a much lower ride and she now handles exceptionally well. This is in fact the lowest VR-4 you're going to see, only three others out there on the net even close, literally. If you looked under it you'd scream, but whatevs, it's obviously not a daily.

• Megan Racing Coilovers
  • P45R's 18x9.5 All Around in Hyper Black
  • Federal 245/40/18's All Around
  • Hawk Performance Pads and Rotors

Cosmetic wise, I always loved the look of the car and despise overdoing things. If anything I went the opposite and simplified it's look:

• Custom '97 front bumper. My grandpa and I cut the tooth out of the middle, cut open the fog light areas more and shaved the emblem. Then of course repainted. This was to make it look like the FMIC was almost meant to be there.
  • '94 Glass Headlights with the inserts removed, both Robo and Halo modded. Only one year had glass lights, these are in place of my '97 Lexans.
  • 8000K HID's
  • Under the hood I painted the valve cover carefully while retaining any and all wording, polished the plenum, bought dress up kits, custom kits, cap covers, plug covers, etc.
  • Replaced the '97 rear garnish with one from a '99
  • 5% Tints, anything lighter wouldn't match the smoked out OEM sail panels (all of this matter when going for a unified look)
  • Rolled Fenders Front and Rear

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's the jist of it. She makes as much torque as she does horses and the car is violent from a dig, all while retaining full interior, functionality, etc. If I were to rebuild it eventually I'd consider 19T's and go for more, but am more than happy with this quick spooling set up.

The car has been featured by Mitsubishi Motors, won Quaker State's Ride of the Month, various local shows and has been covered on a ton of sites you may have heard of, such as JustStance, Lower Standards, Turbo Junky, Eat Sleep Boost, JDM it, So Sick Imports and a bevy of others. A fairly ironic one was the official Supra Fan Page, as it had my car and a friends Supra next to each other. The amount of love received was never sought-after, I build my car for me and my own enjoyment only. However when the reception is as positive as it is, it really touches me and allows me to step back and feel good about my work. It's a good feeling and one I'll definitely cherish.

Yama has received a thanks from: Axm
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Surge101 wrote:Thanks man! I really am jealous of all the different hatches you guys have over there.

Missed this before. Yeah we get some nice one, the other favourite in my mind for a few years from now is a Renault Megane RS. Not that powerful, but a great chassis, and decent on fuel. The newest BMW 135 is meant to be good as well, 0-100mph in about 12s, which is bloody fast for a shopping car. Meant to be great on fuel as well!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

^ I do like a hot hatch. I spend plenty of time trawling ebay for classics. Found a few today actually.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-5GT-T ... 2ec57abde3
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic