Wii U

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Wii U

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 am

My ears!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 am

Dear god, now they're breeding them and keeping them in cubes
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:24 am

Wouldn't be surprised if some still think the pad is just an ad on to the original Wii.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 am

ARGH! That gave me indigestion
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 am

Nano Assault developer Shin’en Multimedia has given a few details of the Wii U’s hardware architecture, praising Nintendo’s solutions to a common problem.
Shin’en’s Manfred Linzner told Not Enough Shaders that the team was “amazed” by “how much code” the hardware could handle without slowdowns, even before optimisation.
“The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U,” he said.
“They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to six times the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.
The developer said bottleneck apply to any hardware but Nintendo’s decisions as regards cache layout, ram latency and ram size prove an effective solution.
“Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU,” he added.
Linzner noted that the Wii U already has plenty of power, but said that it also has a lot of potential for optimising, meaning that in a few years time when developers really start exploring the console’s limits, we ought to see some impressive performance.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/05/wii-u-a ... sault-dev/

Nice to know for now but will that be the case when trying to put ports of PS4/Xbx3 games on it? They will probably have at minimum 4GB of ram(of course I am speculating). Wii U has 2 but only 1 for games, For a console at this point in time is very nice. But so was 16MB of Ram in Dreamcast until PS2 24MB,GC 43MB and Xbox 64MB.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Depends on if the extra ram is console dedicated. Also depends on if new solutions present themselves through software upgrades. Xbox live's party chat wasn't a day 1 thing, it, and and a ton of other features were added as system updates. Its possible that as the console goes on and nintendo refines the system's operations that memory could be freed up for use, or used to implement more features like crossgame chat.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

I wanna touch segata o.o

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:13 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mz1spLDAaQ[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 am

:lol: Looks fun but not worth 60$
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 am

Wii U has arrived in the IGN offices. We'll break down what you can expect in the coming days and weeks (for example, expect a full unboxing tomorrow, November 7 at 10am PT), but many have asked us for our thoughts on Miiverse and the console's online experience. We can't tell you about those for one simple reason - the system needs an update to add that functionality. And so will you when the console launches in less than two weeks.

We don't know much more about this update, only that it will add Miiverse, Wii U Chat (the system's 'real time communication' application), Nintendo TVii and the system's eShop. We are supposed to get access to these programs shortly before the system's launch through an upcoming system update - the same update Wii U owners will have to install in order to gain access to these features as well.

We'll update you with more as we learn it - both in terms of the process needed to add these new programs, and details on their functionality as well.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/w ... one-update
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 am

I look forward to Ifixit tear down
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 am

For a console that is just about to launch it still feels we know little to nothing about it and Nintendos big launch title is a 2D platformer.

I'm sure it will do well but it just feels like N are really unprepared for this and thought the Wii would still be going strong.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 am

Well they (finally0 talked about internet features, and I've heard good things from the journalists I've had the patience to talk to. Really the only person I've heard talk about a live console badly is Geoff Keighly, but he's too busy eating Doritos and drinking mountain dew to actually play it.

I just hope that A. they announce some new shit soon and B.games drop quickly because I'm done with paying 60$ a game.

I do want to know what you find unprepared tho, sounds interesting.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 am

Well of course that's just my view but I've always felt like Nintendo didn't plan to release this now and instead hoped/thought the Wii would still be selling strong enough for them to release a new console late next year.
Last years E3 had a crap load of filler IMO.

20 minutes of Zelda music and a lot of talking[about nothing in many areas] and a good chuck of DS games and i think 1 Wii title? before showing off the pad. The problem was they never gave any real details and many came away thinking it was simply an add on to the Wii.[I did myself till someone pointed out you got a quick glance of the console in the trailer]

And that carried over for me this year, No specs, date and so on and their Mario game? a 2D game that looks like the 3DS versions but i think if they had the time they would release a 3D version that would set the tone like Mario 64 did for the N64 and Mario Galaxy did for the Wii.

Now of course its too early to judge it and it will do well simply for being Nintendo but its always come off to me that Nintendo didn't have a real plan for what the console was going to be up until a few months back.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 am

Well look back at Wii and DS announcements. The specs and release date were announced only a few months prior for both and they had a year or two between the announcement and release. I totally agree that the reveal was botched like a motherfucker tho, i didn't know it was a new console at first either, but I figured it out after i saw the console was shaped differently.

E3, well E3 is worth a laugh, but not much else.

As for Mario, well galaxy came out a whole year after the console, almost everything for the wii was a port at launch. If not for the new super marios wiiu it'd be even, 3 consoles with day 1 marios and 3 consoles without.

I think its just been so long without a new launch that people kinda forgot how they work. I can bet you they'll be people on the internet saying "I'm not buying the first shipment because they're always defective" in no time.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming