Wii U

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Wii U

Postby Yama » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like a pretty unenthralling launch, both hardware and game wise.

Bring me back to 9/9/99.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, ThyDarkAngel, ys
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Yama wrote: Sounds like a pretty unenthralling launch, both hardware and game wise.

Bring me back to 9/9/99.

I been reliving the DC launch last week or so because I'm that nerdy. Reading the mags playing some Shenmue then playing the hoard of Demo discs. My fanboyism for the DC has led me to always be amazed how awesome the thing is. So fucking ahead of it's time.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Yama
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm

^ryo looks rather posh in that pic
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Yama wrote: Sounds like a pretty unenthralling launch, both hardware and game wise.

Bring me back to 9/9/99.

Well lets be fair, on 9/9/99 we knew a stronger (questionably) console would be out a year later. nothing tops the DC in my book but to me this was another hardware launch I don't think its any worse then most of the console we got hyped about before (its better then shelling out 600 to play Crossfire and Genji like we did in 06, I seem to remember a certain someone getting a Japanese copy of a certain blue critter.)

Ryudo wrote:

Bring me back to 9/9/99.

I been reliving the DC launch last week or so because I'm that nerdy. Reading the mags playing some Shenmue then playing the hoard of Demo discs. My fanboyism for the DC has led me to always be amazed how awesome the thing is. So fucking ahead of it's time.

I will always remember the launch of the DC. It was magic back then.

OH FUCK ME, I keep almost turning the console off since the power button is just below the home button.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, ys
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby ys » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Not really. People want more powerful consoles and for some reason [cost] Nintendo have used parts that are dated even compared to 7 year old tech.
A lot of gamers on forums have moved on to PC gaming because they are fed up with the current consoles and feel they are holding games back. Its hardly clinging on to the consoles simply cause they point out that not everything in the WiiU is an upgrade on them.

True. Though I wonder what people specifically mean with "holding games back". I know that there are some who think that it makes them "true" gamers.
But lately I've been replaying many older games and still think that some are better than many current games. The big difference is the visuals and sound of course. So it feels like this is what many mean when they talk about holding back : the audiovisual aspect.
Some of my best experiences this year were Journey and The Walking Dead on PS3 actually and I didn't think for a second that the console might be holding back the creator's vision. I just got into the games instead.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm

techs smecks. Doesn't hold back the fun.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Tex Mex makes everything better. You just made me hungry for some enchiladas.

But yeah, as strong as consoles are now, there's nothing holding anything back from advancement now. The real issue is just more competent use of what's currently available. Almost anything can be done with what we already have. I honestly don't know what people are expecting with the next generation.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 am

Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yama » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: seem to remember a certain someone getting a Japanese copy of a certain blue critter.

Making me relive that is ban worthy. :lol:

Like you said, similar to the PS3 it's more or less a hardware launch. The technology seems solid at the very least, bugs aside.

Yama has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:09 am

Yama wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: seem to remember a certain someone getting a Japanese copy of a certain blue critter.

Spill it.Tell me!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am

ys wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:Not really. People want more powerful consoles and for some reason [cost] Nintendo have used parts that are dated even compared to 7 year old tech.
A lot of gamers on forums have moved on to PC gaming because they are fed up with the current consoles and feel they are holding games back. Its hardly clinging on to the consoles simply cause they point out that not everything in the WiiU is an upgrade on them.

True. Though I wonder what people specifically mean with "holding games back". I know that there are some who think that it makes them "true" gamers.
But lately I've been replaying many older games and still think that some are better than many current games. The big difference is the visuals and sound of course. So it feels like this is what many mean when they talk about holding back : the audiovisual aspect.
Some of my best experiences this year were Journey and The Walking Dead on PS3 actually and I didn't think for a second that the console might be holding back the creator's vision. I just got into the games instead.

A few devs have already said better tech will = better AI in their games
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 am

They say that but alot of the time they don't use it. Most are too lazy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nha4XiXnSg[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 am

Yama wrote:

Like you said, similar to the PS3 it's more or less a hardware launch. The technology seems solid at the very least, bugs aside.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Wii U Premium owners must spend £62.50 on the system's eShop to receive their £5 voucher for future purchases.

Nintendo UK has revealed that for every pound or euro spent on the eShop you'll earn 8 points. After saving up 500 points (when you spend £62.50/€62.50) you can apply for a £5 discount code.

The offer was first announced as a ten per cent discount for Premium owners.

One of the advantages of having a Premium console is being part of this Nintendo Network Premium loyalty scheme. Another is the Premium system's larger hard drive - the Basic 8GB version has only 3GB of usable space.

Users are able to plug in an external USB hard drive for more room. The Wii U currently recognises devices up to 2TB in size, although Nintendo plans to address this in a December system update.

Confusingly, the update will only allow the Wii U to recognise and use devices larger than 2TB up to the existing 2TB limit. If you have a 3TB drive then the remaining terabyte will not be available to use.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... op-voucher
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming