Wii U

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Wii U

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Sonikku wrote: I'm a bit worried for the systems longevity when Black Friday sales see the U outsold by 360 and playstation alike. At first I thought it may have been a limited supply choking sales, but one look at ebay and the thing is barely fetching msrp. When the original Wii came out those auctions were 4-5x retail.

Actually both are pretty easily explained.

The reason both last gen consoles outsold the WiiU was twofold, for 1 there were more units available. There tons of PS3s and 360s already manufactured and shipped to stores. The second is that both consoles were cheaper then the wiiU with a bunch of games.

As for why its not being sold at 5x msrp, its because there is a pretty steady supply. Global shipments for the system were almost double, and the WiiU is outperforming the Wii by a fair margin in hardware and a HUGE margin in software, but because theres a lot of consoles swimming around its not really necessary to price gouge.

Who Really Cares? wrote: Really surprised none of the games made the top 10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... emains-top

the fact that a few games actually got close is pretty impressive that means that a single sku on a new console that hasen't even reached 1 mill served almost matched some of the top games spread across 3 platforms.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Jeff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Sonikku wrote: I'm a bit worried for the systems longevity when Black Friday sales see the U outsold by 360 and playstation alike. At first I thought it may have been a limited supply choking sales, but one look at ebay and the thing is barely fetching msrp. When the original Wii came out those auctions were 4-5x retail.

Thank you, I noticed that too, I mean if you really want one you can find one online within 2-3 minutes. This isn't a hot item.

Jeff has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Thief » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Jeff wrote:Thank you, I noticed that too, I mean if you really want one you can find one online within 2-3 minutes. This isn't a hot item.

And yet, when the system had first come out, a buddy of mine made $1800 profit off of his five Wii U units, one of which sold for $1200. If only people would wait a few days for their new (same) mario game...

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Jeff wrote:

Thank you, I noticed that too, I mean if you really want one you can find one online within 2-3 minutes. This isn't a hot item.

gunna just put this here. Might you know explain the thing i explained a post before yours, you know, the one right above yours, yep the one connected to yours, that one.

"Wii was a unique phenomenon," Fils-Aime said. "You couldn't walk into a retailer and buy a Wii until spring of 2009. We've certainly learned many lessons from that and we are replenishing retailers more quickly this time around. We are looking to have as much product into retail as possible. It's driven by consumer response."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57554 ... ces-total/

Wii U's first week numbers are better than the launch sales of the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. In 2006, Sony's Playstation 3 sold 197,000 units in its first two weeks, while in 2005 Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold 326,000 units in its first two weeks.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nintendos-wii-u- ... les-901134
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 am

Yeah its doing well in the US but appears to be having a bit of a hard time here in the UK. Not seen any out of stock signs in stores or online. Nintendo claim they sold around 40k but they said we would have around 55k at launch so its not a bad launch by any means.

Good thing is for future buyers, all consoles released next year will already have the 1 hour update on them. But for owners now? Another update that's said to be taking long.

http://gamingeverything.com/34669/new-u ... -on-wii-u/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am

Did they really push out a 5 gig update on day one? I'm in disbelief that they would sell people on the 8 gig system only to take up 5 gigs of it right away in a curve ball they didn't telegraph in advance much at all.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Sonikku wrote: Did they really push out a 5 gig update on day one? I'm in disbelief that they would sell people on the 8 gig system only to take up 5 gigs of it right away in a curve ball they didn't telegraph in advance much at all.

Yes and its genital torture. I had to do it twice because I set up my roommates as well as my own. We had enough time to go buy some Halal food, shoot the shit at his store, and have a few drinks at bar.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct ... 2-05-2012/

Gettin ready to watch the Nintendo Direct. I'm assuming they're going to talk about an m rated game since it makes sure you're 17 or older as soon as you get to the page. The Japanese nintendo direct had some cool stuff, a release window and in depth look at Pokemon, some stuff about the new warioware.

Edit: the m rated stuff it was all about ninja Gaiden 3, apparently the character updates are also patches. So Kasumi and Momiji hopefully bring some bug fixes and tweaks.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 am

Nintendo Europe don't want people downloading 18 rated content at certain times :???:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... tain-times
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Whoever has it throw me some adds. YamaMX

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm

I just got the Wii U too!
So far im just playing Nintendo Land and some Wii games.
Im gonna get Zombie U next month.

Everyone can add me with:
AxmShenmue

Axm has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Now I'll add you too.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

My roommate bought one so it looks like I have an account too. Yukupo is the name. (Surprise surprise.)

Yukupo has received a thanks from: Axm
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

U had a poor Christmas in the UK. Anything they can do at this point to change it? I don't think I actually saw a TV ad for the console in December on TV.

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:00 pm

To be fair it's a console that's sold around a million units where as both the Xbox and PS3 I think are at about 70 million now. So 70x more people theoretically are buying games for it. If we get the Xbox 3 or PS4 this year next Christmas won't look so bad.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming