Biohazard

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Biohazard

Postby QWERTY » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 am

Bluecast wrote: I do think they need to take a few years off with it.

Resi 5 was released in 2009, that's a 3 year hiatus, one could argue that they've already had a few years off and should have done better this time around. I downloaded and played the demo and didn't enjoy it at all. It seems they're aligning the series akin to a similar experience with watching the godawful movies, which is an absolute travesty. In the probable event that 6 sells by the fuck-ton (and who are we kidding; it will) then I can't see Capcom reverting back to the old formula. Regardless, I'm fairly tired of the story now anyway, so I would be more than happy to see another developer bring a similar new IP to the table which has an all new premise which doesn't rely on fucking zombies again. I would love to see something a bit more psychological in the vein of Jacob's Ladder as a game, Silent Hill had a vibe of this nature but that series has become tired too. I think my general point is developers need to start realising when to quit while ahead and start producing fresh survival horror stories rather than regurgitating the same old scenarios.
Last edited by QWERTY on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: Bluecast
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am

And 4 years between 4 and 5 compared to 2 years between 1 and 2 and a year between 2 and 3.

Its actually rare to see a game get that long now days.

Resident Evil dev and fan disagreement over series future is like two parents arguing about raising a child
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ng-a-child
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:33 am

Bluecast wrote: Even if this sells well and it will. Capcom is going to need to re think things for the nest installment.I just hope it's not some lame crappy western team to reboot it. I do think they need to take a few years off with it. I hope the return the series to true survival horror

Apparently they did that with Revelations.
I think, if anything, the best we can hope for is that the series will continue to cater to different tastes, maybe not necessarily all in the same game, but in different games with different focuses. People have apparently gotten up in arms about RE6, all the while completely forgetting about Revelations.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Absentia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

I can't help to feel that recent reviews have been harsh on RE6

I've never been too fond of the series, but I do understand the need to evolve from the first installments since it just wouldn't sell these days. Granted they are trying too hard to be uncharted-esque, but that's the moneymaker nowadays.

I can also comprehend that many people have the firsts RE in high esteem and that these recent ones just aren't making them justice and I can agree that could also weight in the review, but for a game that seems a least decent (from what I gather, great graphics, decent gameplay, above average story) if it was everyother game that would have granted at least a 6 out of 10, but since it's RE the reviewers seem to be a bit hard on it, I can't see the impartiallity of it

Absentia has received a thanks from: OL
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 pm

^ What are you talking about? Uncharted was trying to be a modern RE4 from the beginning with a different theme and setting. You have it backwards. Still they are both great game series though, on the collective.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Um it's not evolving at all. Just like if they changed Final Fantasy into a First Person Shooter. They just changed it into something else and slapped the RE brand on it. That does not make the games bad per say but it is cashing in and dumbing the series down.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU5sNSyZ6r4[/youtube]

Summed up, Horror = less sales in the devs eyes so its gone towards action.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm

So far ive only had a chance to play a few chapters so I cant give a full impression. But so far I like it. The story seems interesting and I like the atmosphere. Playing with a 5.1 headset also shows good sound design.
The gripes I have with it so far though is that although im playing on Hard, its not very hard at all. You can pretty much mele anyone anytime which kills the difficulty. Also the amount of qte's are just too much sometimes.
I'll comment more once I progress through it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Maybe the giraffe getting a blowjob was on purpose and showing how capcom is just a joke anymore. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Here's one to ponder - RE5 vs RE6. I've only played the demo of RE6, but didn't like any of it. I love RE5.. in two player.

Anyone played both? What's the better game?

Martin has received a thanks from: OL
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

I only played the demo of 6 and followed some news, videos, reviews and whatnot.
If you love RE5 I think you will enjoy 6 a good deal.
In my opinion the artstyle, colour scheme and settings plus enemies of 6 make it a much more interesting title. Gameplay wise you will feel at home.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:22 pm

It's quicker, and I don't like how you can just sprint past everything to the checkpoint.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

^Hum, yeah, that's true. And it also seams even more linear in a 'corridor shooter' kind of way.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby OL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 am

I was going to go on about how harsh the reviews have been, but it's a pointless effort. There's a ton of obvious fanboy bitterness in the majority of reviews I've read, and they refuse to see that the game is extremely playable and fun, regardless of what series it belongs to.

I'm liking the game a lot. Co-op is a blast so far (nearing the end of Leon's campaign), and I've had a ton of "laughing while dying" moments with my brother. And while most RE fans will complain about it no matter what, the story is actually... just fine. I don't want to say it's excellent or anything, because it's really just action movie background noise, but it's certainly no worse than RE4 or 5. It works for what it is, and it serves to put you in some really cool setpieces.
So much complaining and negativity going on out there, but fuck it; I'm having fun.
All that matters to me right now.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 am

To play devils advocate you do have a nack for liking games with not so stellar reviews. Not harping on you or anything and not disagreeing or agreeing with the reviews as I can't judge for not playing a single entry since 4. Just saying you often gravitate towards games with mixed reviews or bad ones. Not always but quite a bit and not saying it's a bad thing. Just making a neutral point.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming