Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 pm

OL wrote: I'm thinking I might actually want to get the upcoming Kirby Collection for the Wii. I've never been into Kirby really (wasn't so much a Nintendo kid in the past), but the more I look up on the series, the more it strikes me as a kind of Klonoa-style platformer series, which is actually pretty appealing. Might want to get into that.

Kirby 64 I think is the one nearest to the style of klonoa. Did you ever play Starfy or Little Nemo?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Starfy is great (only played the DS one). Nemo on the NES always looked awesome (kind of creepy too, since he puts animals to sleep and then climbs inside their mouths to control them :lol: ).

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm

OL wrote: Starfy is great (only played the DS one). Nemo on the NES always looked awesome (kind of creepy too, since he puts animals to sleep and then climbs inside their mouths to control them :lol: ).

You just killed my childhood.

...But yea those games actually took some ideas from the Kirby series.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Tried the trial version of Dust : An Elysian Tail as well and really enjoyed that too. Some great artwork, combat was fun and looks like it will scratch that Metroidvania itch along with light RPG levelling up and crafting mechanics. A shame then that nobody seems to give it the time of day because of it's anthropomorphic cast with a broad damnation of it being 'that furry game' when the characters aren't even sexualised. It's not fair on the game and besides, how far are they willing to apply that logic? Can we not like anything with talking animals now?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 pm

HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOW AMAZING IS THE DREAMCAST THROUGH VGA ON MY 40" LCD!!! :shocked!: :shocked!:

But the Project Berkley disc wont play after i put it in after loading the boot disc, and neither does Virtua Fighter 3tb what gives?! Anyone any advice?? :???:

Peter has received a thanks from: Yukupo
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Peter wrote:But the Project Berkley disc wont play after i put it in after loading the boot disc, and neither does Virtua Fighter 3tb what gives?! Anyone any advice?? :???:

I always have that after getting the DC back out of its resting place. Basically, you need to clean the laser lens and make slight readjustments to the mechanism that slides the laser assembly, especially if the DC was moved a lot.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Gah. I will try it tomorrow. I started a brand new Shenmue game instead. Still all i can say is i am still fucking blown away. Its almost HD clear like, how unrealised was this damn game, and console! FUCK if anyone on here hasnt played Shenmue through a VGA box on a LCD TV, do yourself a favor and just get it all! The hair on the characters is so individual and crisp, fuck you can even see the jagged edges on the snowflakes!! Unreal, i am just floored, i have never seen Shenmue like this :shock:

Peter has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Peter wrote: Gah. I will try it tomorrow. I started a brand new Shenmue game instead. Still all i can say is i am still fucking blown away. Its almost HD clear like, how unrealised was this damn game, and console! FUCK if anyone on here hasnt played Shenmue through a VGA box on a LCD TV, do yourself a favor and just get it all! The hair on the characters is so individual and crisp, fuck you can even see the jagged edges on the snowflakes!! Unreal, i am just floored, i have never seen Shenmue like this :shock:

It's even better on a good cathode ray tube computer monitor (mainly because such monitors don't rely on interpolation of the signal input). My DC is hooked to a special gaming monitor made by Philips in the 90s. Shenmue looks so sharp that I sometimes fear for my eyes being cut into pieces.

SD graphics aren't muddy by themselves. It's all about the right connection and the right display.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm

That sounds sweet but my eyes are already being cut to pieces i honestly cannot see this looking any better (without redevoping the same in some sort, which hopefully is whats being done for Shenmue HD). Been playing for a while now and havent left my room yet. Just looked at the notebook, listened to the Shenmue and Sha Hua cassette tapes and just looked at things!. I cant get over how amazing it looks i mean i expected the VGA to make it a bit better, but not THIS good! Easily the best game ever made in my opinion. Was never 100% perfect until now. Proud to have this on my skin and in my blood!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

It can look even better on a CRT monitor because every LCD display has to do scaling of the SD source input, but such material can still look great on a LCD with a VGA box and a good video scaler. I'm not suprised you're already shocked at the quality jump.

I wouldn't say 'the best game ever made' and I'm not 'proud' to have played it, or anything of such extremes, but I definitely love Shenmue and I can attest that it's expectational in every way. As for the graphics themselves, they are pretty amazing not because of the tech. It's because of the proverbial blood, sweat and tears that went into making them. I'd say it's the most industrious game ever made.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Ziming » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGJlfADTOQ[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:31 am

This isn't anything official (otherwise I would have put it in the art topic), but regardless, I think it's a fantastic piece of artwork. For some reason it feels like it captures that 60s action spy movie vibe perfectly. Just great to see this cast mocked up in a movie poster style like this.

OL has received a thanks from: Tuffty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 am

Peter wrote: HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOW AMAZING IS THE DREAMCAST THROUGH VGA ON MY 40" LCD!!! :shocked!: :shocked!:

But the Project Berkley disc wont play after i put it in after loading the boot disc, and neither does Virtua Fighter 3tb what gives?! Anyone any advice?? :???:

Where did you buy it from?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:43 am

I have the same problem with those two and a few others.

Some japanese games just won't load with the boot disc... you have to have a jap console.
The one I was mostly disappointed about was Cosmic Smash... never played the game because of that.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:57 am

I came across a tape I made in college for one of my design classes. I interviewed a bunch of people about their most emotional moments in video games. The three funniest were my room mate who cried at the end of Dual Hearts, my girlfriend, who FLIPPED out during Tales of Symphonia and my dad when he saw Chrono come back to life.

The absolute best was the tales one "I WALKED ALL THE FUCKING WAY ACROSS A WORLD MAP, WENT TO ANOTHER FUCKING GOD DAMNED WORLD AND THEN FUCKING WALKED ACROSS THAT FUCKIN PIECE OF SHIT FOR THIS FUCKING MORON TO TELL ME TO MOVE A MOTHERFUCKING 20 POUND ROCK, OH FUCK THIS SHIT!"

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming