Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Badass isn't made. It's born.

Dorian has received a thanks from: wude
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Spokane » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

I thought I was going to have to woop your ass Dorian, I thought it sad badness for a second, not badass.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Dorian
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Do RAM prices still change pretty quickly? I'd probably start off with the 8 megs of RAM, which is still enough to do, well, anything really, with a possible view to adding another 8 later, or bring in 16 newer and meaner ones, depending on the market. :)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Saw a bumper sticker today that said "My other ride is a chocobo."
Made me crack a smile.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Long angry rant about how games teach their rules coming soon. (like after I'm done work soon)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

I was supposed to finish Yakuza 4 3 days ago, but instead, I'm just playing VF5FS all the time. I don't even consider it to be my favourite VF, lol.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 pm

^ just curious, which is your favorite?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 am

LAMEWAD wrote: ^ just curious, which is your favorite?

EVO. It really is balanced. VF5FS is so unbalanced that it feels like Tekken at times. People just assume it's balanced because that's a part of VF's lore. If only they actually knew how much bullshit AM2 spawned with FS. Jacky is totally broken. His frames and DMG are ridiculous and there's an army of people who use the same set-ups for him because they are simply so safe and powerful that it's pretty much like turning god mode ON. Wallsplats are almost as bad as in Tekken 4. You can do almost infinities with them.

The game plays great... as long as you're not facing somebody who actually knows and abuses the broken frames and hitboxes...

Dorian has received a thanks from: Thief
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Spokane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 am

And I trust you don't abuse it Dorian?
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:29 am

Spokane wrote: And I trust you don't abuse it Dorian?

I play as Kage so I couldn't abuse it even if I wanted to because he doesn't have any kind of crap to abuse. He's actually extremely punishable.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 am

So there were two things on my mind.

The first is Japanese games; I was listening to the Japanese version of the Dragon's dogma OP. I'll give Capcom this much, just like Sengoku Basara 3 used T.M.Revolution's English vocals, the English version has B'z singing in English. Now we have a bit of a problem, why make a Japanese band sing a Japanese song in English? Its hard to even understand whats being said and for the most part its gibberish. Why? Dragon's Dogma (like Dark Souls and Xanadu) is similar to many RPGs made in the west and even started with a western idea. Thing is, you still have a Japanese band performing the intro song that has lyrics. Which leads me to my point. Be Japanese. The west is the west, trying to be like the west is pointless. So many Japanese studios keep trying to make these games that appeal to westerners but in the end they often fall flat because they are neither distinctly Eastern or Western. The Japanese often pride themselves on taking ideas and making them better, that is perhaps its olden tradition and it should be no different for gaming. Take the ideas that are being introduced and instead of trying to copy them, make them better. We got stuff like Record of Lodoss War, Final Fantasy, and ESPECIALLY Shin Megami Tensei from games like DnD, Ultima and Wizardry and I think if Capcom threw its support behind Dragon's Dogma and decided to evolve the genre it could be something special, instead its mostly half cooked ideas taken from other games with the original ideas muddled and hidden by bugs or straight up bad decisions.

The other thing that will inevitably make this a massive wall of text is teaching in games. So many games suck at it. I'm pretty sure a few of you guys got stuck in Arkham city because you forgot how to slide, theres no shame alot of people have. The reason why is simple, they never drill it in. You do it once as part of a tutorial and thats that. Instead you should do it a few times, get used to it and then keep it relevant by adding it once or twice to every "dungeon". Zelda is no different. Fi in is so completely useless because she'll tell you how to press a button but won't tell you button combinations. Rolling a damn bomb requires 2 motions and a button press, why tell the player after its necessary to use this? While searching for the Earth Temple Link needs to roll a bomb across some bones and explode a platform. Fi does not tell you how to roll bombs there? NONONO, instead she teaches you to roll bombs when you reach a hill which is beyond the bone bridge. This isn't a puzzle, its obscurity. The player isn't properly taught what powers they have, and they have no real guide for experimentation. Hitting every button shouldn't be the way to figure out a puzzle. Lets take, Lufia as an example. it has puzzle and specific items for use in dungeons, however the item is a one button thing. You can say "I placed a bomb here" you don't need to worry about rolling, throwing or anything like that until the game specifically gives you a power to do that, and often the game makes you use that power to get out of the room. Metroid is good for that as well. Games now seem to have lost that. Not to say every old game used it, but today's games are terrible at teaching and often offer tons of tutorials that don't really teach or offer lasting advice.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 am

Game Republic founder/director Yoshiki Okamoto comes out of hiding to reveal he has retired from the game industry and is now "making mobile phone games".

Video game creator Yoshiki Okamoto, the man behind Time Pilot, 1942, Final Fight, and Street Fighter 2, says he's retired from the business of making console video games.

Following the closure of his studio Game Republic, where he developed moderate successes like Folklore and two Genji titles for Sony, the famed game designer and producer tells Polygon he's now working on mobile games. His first mobile title, a "secret" game, he says, will be released in the near future, he says.

"I have retired," Okamoto said during an interview in Tokyo this week. "That's what I'm told to say [by my boss]."

Okamoto won't actually say who he's working for. But he believes that mobile games, not traditional, increasingly risky console games, are the path to his future success.
Quote:
Okamoto got out of the business of making video games for consoles when his studio, Game Republic, closed its offices last year. The company still exists, he says, but Okamoto is its only employee.

"Game Republic has not gone away, but we ran out of money," he explained. "So I had to let go of everybody."

At its peak, Game Republic employed about 300 people. The company was hit hard financially after the closure of publisher Brash Entertainment. The studio was developing a video game adaptation of Clash of the Titans for Brash and when the publisher folded in 2008, Game Republic lost "a large amount of money."

"But of course we had made the decision to go with Brash Entertainment," Okamoto says, shouldering some of the blame. Okamoto also pointed to the weakened global economy at the time, adding "It wasn't totally their fault."

"There were a lot of things I wanted to accomplish [at Game Republic]," Okamoto says, including a sequel to PlayStation 3 game Folklore, "But I need a sponsor to create those games." Even mobile titles, Okamoto says, require an investment of more than $600,000 to have a chance at success.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/1 ... mes-mobile

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am

That sucks. Sad to see such greats sink so low. I guess it's like Bela Lugosi went from Universal to Ed Wood. Joe Montana from 49ers to Kansas City Chief.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Game Republic founder/director Yoshiki Okamoto comes out of hiding to reveal he has retired from the game industry and is now "making mobile phone games".

Video game creator Yoshiki Okamoto, the man behind Time Pilot, 1942, Final Fight, and Street Fighter 2, says he's retired from the business of making console video games.

Following the closure of his studio Game Republic, where he developed moderate successes like Folklore and two Genji titles for Sony, the famed game designer and producer tells Polygon he's now working on mobile games. His first mobile title, a "secret" game, he says, will be released in the near future, he says.

"I have retired," Okamoto said during an interview in Tokyo this week. "That's what I'm told to say [by my boss]."

Okamoto won't actually say who he's working for. But he believes that mobile games, not traditional, increasingly risky console games, are the path to his future success.
Quote:
Okamoto got out of the business of making video games for consoles when his studio, Game Republic, closed its offices last year. The company still exists, he says, but Okamoto is its only employee.

"Game Republic has not gone away, but we ran out of money," he explained. "So I had to let go of everybody."

At its peak, Game Republic employed about 300 people. The company was hit hard financially after the closure of publisher Brash Entertainment. The studio was developing a video game adaptation of Clash of the Titans for Brash and when the publisher folded in 2008, Game Republic lost "a large amount of money."

"But of course we had made the decision to go with Brash Entertainment," Okamoto says, shouldering some of the blame. Okamoto also pointed to the weakened global economy at the time, adding "It wasn't totally their fault."

"There were a lot of things I wanted to accomplish [at Game Republic]," Okamoto says, including a sequel to PlayStation 3 game Folklore, "But I need a sponsor to create those games." Even mobile titles, Okamoto says, require an investment of more than $600,000 to have a chance at success.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/1 ... mes-mobile

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:21 pm

God, that's heartbreaking.
The silver lining is that he's actually alive though. A while back, he apparently just kind of... disappeared. Nobody could say what happened to him, so I kind of always assumed the worst.
I kind of like the way he's talking though. Pay close attention, and it doesn't seem like he's bowing out from console games altogether. When he says he's "retired" from console games, he specifies that his boss told him he has to say that. :lol:
It sucks that Japanese gaming has basically come down to this, but I still have hope that a great like him can make a comeback. Still one of my favorite developers/personalities in the business.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming