Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Game Journalists bashing game journalists, what a story. I want my 5 minutes back.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: That article is the complete entire truth.

Dan "shoe" Hsu former editor of EGM I remember did a similar article like this. He even turned down a big screen TV because it hurts the dignity. Leo Laporte never accepts free gadgets and buys them instead so he can be fair without any obligation. Jeff Gerstman got fired for a shitty score for a shitty game (forgot what it was) but was sponsored.

Kane and Lynch.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: That article is the complete entire truth.

Dan "shoe" Hsu former editor of EGM I remember did a similar article like this. He even turned down a big screen TV because it hurts the dignity. Leo Laporte never accepts free gadgets and buys them instead so he can be fair without any obligation. Jeff Gerstman got fired for a shitty score for a shitty game (forgot what it was) but was sponsored.

Kane and Lynch.

Then that means we get to hear from OL :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Which he only gave a 6 out of 10 or something. I like the game, but the score was pretty fair. I wouldn't argue against the fact that the game was pretty mediocre, technically.
Well, either way, it led to the creation of Giant Bomb or something, so it's not all bad.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 pm

The point is, there ought to be a free press, rather than bought mouthpieces. For the lack of serious critical response from real people in the real world of gaming will eventually destroy gaming, like it has destroyed democracy. If you can buy support for terrible games, the general quality will decrease, as happened with popular music and television, etc. The only thing keeping movies from totally degenerating is that they require extra effort from the lazy masses to be profitable. The same applies to politics. So, if we want better games, we have to be not only darwinian, but eugenic. In other words, we cannot settle for the lowest possible successful survival strategy, but achieve a general higher standard of quality by not giving in to propaganda machines that generate only sustainability, not life.

That is, if you really love games, and are forward thinking. Otherwise, expect all funded games to analogously resemble the following disgusting cacophony in 50 years:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6fagIGvbF4[/youtube]
Last edited by KiBa on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

^^I'd expect no less.
But at the same time, we'll also always have the Pearl Jams of the world; the ones who ignore the limelight and just do what they do because they love it.
It was completely inevitable that eventually gaming would develop an extreme "pop" side, and an equal "indie" side. It's how everything goes.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Kiba does have a point. When paid off it hurts people like indie guys that are not hyped like Phil Douche Fish and others. It hurts deserving full retail games as they get ignored by the media and focus on what is hyped. Making sites that "review" games and such worthless in a honest opinion. Many people rely on this. Go to a gamestop and most ask if a game is good or not and a employee will just point to a GI review. Sales suffer on other games
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

OL wrote: ^^I'd expect no less.
But at the same time, we'll also always have the Pearl Jams of the world; the ones who ignore the limelight and just do what they do because they love it.
It was completely inevitable that eventually gaming would develop an extreme "pop" side, and an equal "indie" side. It's how everything goes.

But why settle for such a lousy world? I don't think it's inevitable; it's just the way things are now because of the bad choices of so many. How much better would just gaming be if all the capital supported the most talented visionaries?

KiBa has received a thanks from: Bluecast
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Ryudo wrote:Go to a gamestop and most ask if a game is good or not and a employee will just point to a GI review. Sales suffer on other games

You know, Gamestop gets this rep as employing people who don't know anything about games, but the few that I occasionally drop into in my area actually have some pretty smart, opinionated, passionate guys working there. One guy was telling me how he had to do a psychological analysis of a fictional character for his college psych class, and he chose to do it on James from Silent Hill 2. Segata would probably be happy to know that he same guy was telling me I really need to play Lords of Shadow. Another guy at the same location was talking about how much he loved Resonance of Fate. Few of them seemed interested in your average CoD's or Halo's.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:20 pm

OL wrote:
Ryudo wrote:Go to a gamestop and most ask if a game is good or not and a employee will just point to a GI review. Sales suffer on other games

You know, Gamestop gets this rep as employing people who don't know anything about games, but the few that I occasionally drop into in my area actually have some pretty smart, opinionated, passionate guys working there. One guy was telling me how he had to do a psychological analysis of a fictional character for his college psych class, and he chose to do it on James from Silent Hill 2. Segata would probably be happy to know that he same guy was telling me I really need to play Lords of Shadow. Another guy at the same location was talking about how much he loved Resonance of Fate.

The rep is well deserved and there is always a few exceptions to the rule but it is largely correct. Gamestop hires poor car salesman and kids in high school. The turnover rate in GS is higher than any retailer in the US. I was a manger there as well. They want salesman for a commission job without commission pay. The more subs and pre orders you sell the more hours you get. I can post to you a 10 part 40 minute youtube series in the real workings of that company if you really want to get into it. Since I left very little has changed.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Kiba's right.

in 10 years games will crash on startup and anyone who complains will be attacked as an elitist and a hater.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 pm

The SNES/Genesis to N64 and PSone days was the New Hollywood period. N64/PS2/XBOX was the Blockbuster era (MGS, FFVII, ect).

Now we're in the Bruckheimer/Bay era. Where we have blockbusters like Transformers and Harry Potter but they're not in the same quality they were then like JAWS or Star Wars. At least that's the way I feel.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Same thing goes for all journalism, it isn't news.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

The difference between that Jeff guys and the people on sites like IGN and 1UP are that his a personality before he is a writer. Him advertising shit is quite bad though it would be like Roger Ebert advertising the beer that Bond drinks in the new movie. As a reviewer or whatever they wish to call themselves they should not be advertising that relates to the product they review.

I think that there is more a problem with people just making the scale to high rather then people getting payed off. The reason a 6 for Kayne and Lynch was seen as so bad is because so many games get 8's and 9's. If there was more bribes in the industry I honestly think we would hear more about it then we do.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Riku Rose wrote: If there was more bribes in the industry I honestly think we would hear more about it then we do.

google bribes and videogames and you'll see a lot of em. Its been a really big problem since Resistance got 9s across the board despite most reviews having the the words "A very generic first person shooter with interesting weapons"
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming