Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:04 pm

I know but never means all of that will be sold. Sony has always done the shipped thing and many (I know not you) confuse it with sold. I do find it interesting that in 3rd place close to 70 million sold. That's never happened before.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Well, tbh, it depends on what sort of deal Sony have with retailers. It could be that they buy them off Sony outright as opposed to a share of sales deal. In the case of the former, although 70 million consoles haven't been bought by customers, Sony have seen a profits return on the sales of 70 million consoles, so I doubt they'd care if it reached those heights coz they'd have the money off em already,
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm

:cry: Just saw PSvita being outsold 46:1 in Japan.

Why is Vita selling so poorly? It's a great machine!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Handhelds aren't really appealing. Typically, you have a phone in your left pocket, keys in your right, wallet in your back right pocket, and passport or other smallish flat object in your back left. The average person doesn't really have the room to carry it about, and even if you have extra pockets from wearing a jacket or whatever, it's just extra weight.

This is why mobile gaming's taken off. Every technological home comfort has been condensed onto these miniature machines for the sake of convenience. Handhelds tend to be quite inconvenient due to size. And those who buy handhelds don't really use them when they're out n about, they use them in the home, which then begs the question... Why buy one when you've got a console? Exclusives are pretty much the only thing that could/would tempt you.

Yes, I'm sure they're great standalone consoles, but they simply don't have enough going for them to justify a purchase. I myself only played a handful of games for my DS... Hotel Dusk, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic Rush, Mario Kart... and that was before I got a smartphone. Now that I have one, I don't really see the need to get bulky devices that are designed for on-the-go gaming, because they've never really worked like that.

Handhelds to me will always be something to use on a long-arse journey, when every TV in the house is occupied, or when you're enjoying a shit (we all do it). So yeah, handhelds just seem to have completely lost their appeal, and until they do something like offer a phone/text messaging service or greatly reduce their size to fit in your pocket with plenty of extra space for the sake of comfort... well, they simply won't do well.

That's the way I see it, at least. And I'm usually right. About everything.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm

You're right about the part where we play games on the shitter haha
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm

3ds is outpacing the ds tho and it sold 153 mil.

21 mil and counting
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Vita always was dead on arrive and its great white hope COD is getting negative after negative reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ic-reviews
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:55 pm

The 3DS has the gimmick of 3D, and is essentially an upgrade. Nintendo have had the handheld market on lockdown since the Gameboy. Hell, it could be argued they've had it since Game & Watch. Still, Nintendo had to drop the price to hit their projected sales figures. And on top of that, there's no smartphone out there that can do what the 3DS does. Fair enough, there's no smartphone out there that can compete with the Vita's graphics, but as the worn-out saying goes "graphics ain't everything".

I remember the PSP didn't do too well at first, but it went on to do a lot better than most people thought it would. The Vita just needs time. Sales will definitely pick up during this period if there's a price cut, or at least during post-Christmas sales. What I said doesn't mean it'll do shit, it just means there isn't a high demand for them at the moment, and they won't do as well as they could/should/would do until they do what the Vita adverts claim to and actually break some rules (seriously does my head in the advert, exactly what does the Vita do that other devices don't?)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:00 pm

I think PSP started off very similar and eventually got a lower price a great library and started off as doomed (well so did PS3) and PSP ended with 70 mil sold. I have hope the same will be for Vita. I never use 3D on my 3DS. I play my Vita the most. It's just so damn awesome. Also Tablets and phones can look pretty good visually now they will catch up with Vita soon. Difference is physical buttons without having to buy them.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Exactly. The PS2 seems to be the only Sony system that didn't sell off personal recommendations. Obviously I can't speak for the whole world, but that's how it's been over here.

PlayStation didn't become a household name through advertising from my recollection, and the PSP put a lot of people off because of the price until they heard from their mates that it was worth it. Same with the PS3. The 360 already found it's way into most people's homes, and the Wii created it's own little corner, so the PS3 was kinda like "yo, what's the dealio, bro?" until guys mysteriously started droppin off Xbox Live only to say "I prefer my PS3".

It'll get there n'all, no doubt. Just needs time.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Hardware wise 360 is my fave. Fave games I played many on Wii. PS3 is my fave all media device. Like many did in 2006. I play blu rays on it. 3DS is a fun device. Vita is like PSP in 2004. Amazing piece of kit. They all have a weakness but fuck me I love them all. Still none of them will ever top DC for me. Sorry just as console go DC is Jesus to this nerd.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

the amount of classics the DC had for its short lifespan is pretty impressive, sega really went all out with it

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Sad thing about the Dreamcast is that it isn't the best. By a long shot. It just had the highest potential out of all consoles throughout history. Except maybe the PS3. If things went well for SEGA, the DC probably would've outlived the PS2, but it's almost like they thought they were untouchable in the 90s, and they paid the price for their naivety.

I still believe that SEGA could return in the future if a gap opens up in the market, but it wouldn't be for a good few generations, and would need a group of young(ish) forward-thinking guys on the board. And then they'll promise to reboot Shenmue. Then it would fail after Shenmue III sells badly, and we'll be waiting on Shenmue IV whilst our sons ignore our advice as they prepare various "Give us Shenmue IV" campaigns.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: You're right about the part where we play games on the shitter haha

Nah, I don't do it. It only ever takes me less than a minute to poop. I don't see why people are so slow when they poop. I never read either on the john.

And its not because I hold it in and go at the last minute either, the first time I have the feeling of having to go I do it and it comes right out.

Anyways, I'd love a Vita I just can't afford it and when I can afford it I find myself buying more games for my consoles instead. That goes with the whole handheld appeal thing I guess, it appeals to me, just not as much as my PS3.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 pm

You're a strange, strange soul, Spokane. Every guy on the planet should enjoy their bowel movements. It's what makes us what we are.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming