Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:03 pm

and for that I'm very thankful, but I think part of making connor, or any "indian" character good is acknowledging the race of the character, especially in this case.

Its easy for most people to just say "I'm black" or "I'm white" but its so much more complicated with us, even to define ourselves at a basic level.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with Connor to make him more palatable, or more true to his background?
I'm not asking in a snide way. I just want to hear it from someone who actually knows and understands the culture personally. It's easy for someone like me to say "he should be more charming" or "he should be funnier," but it's kind of a shallow bit of input compared to an actual cultural perspective.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I mean 99% of the time we're being called Indians (obviously we're not from India) or Native Americans (we lived here waaay before Americo Vespucci was even a gleam in his pappy's eye)

To be fair, I use the term "Indian" as a very simple, broad reference term, in the same way I'd call white people "white people" (we're not literally white) or hispanics "hispanics" (a term derived from a country that many people -- in the US at least -- who belong to that ethinicity know little of and/or have no ties to).
It's just a word. As much as I agree with you that the various tribes situated on this continent all have very different, unique cultures to eachother, I don't see it as entirely unreasonable to have an encompassing term to describe them. No more unreasonable than "whites," "blacks," "Europeans," "Asians," or "Hispanics" at least.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Well most people, even if they are from a tribal background don't really know how to define people who are tribal. Theres a lot of different labels but its a sort of deep disrespect that many people don't even realize what we really are. I don't really blame people for calling us Indians because they've been taught their whole lives to call us that, and people who want to show respect call us native Americans but in truth we aren't that either. A Taino and a Mohawk are alike, we have similarities, my people knew, and traded with tribes as far north as the damn Inuits and we have the tools and animal bones to prove it, but we aren't completely alike. The difference between an Arawak and an Azteka is as big as the difference between a German and a Frenchman, but instead of being referred to by our actual ethnicity we're all just lumped into these terms that don't suit us. I mean even just calling us all Red (since that we all have in conman the way all of Europe has lighter complexions) seems a lot more tolerable.

I guess that answers the second question first.

In terms of what would make him palatable. Seething, violent hatred. Then a sense of emptiness after realizing there was nothing he could do, that no matter how angry he continues to get nothing will change. Then finally acceptance and a determination to preserve. Altair and Ezio did it, but what makes things different is why. Altair did it because he was betrayed by the higest order, Ezio because of revenge. Connor needed to hate Templars, a true hatred not his whining. He needed to distrust whites, even those he worked with, then in time come to realize that the Templars are truly his enemy, then after "certain events" even come to pity Templars. He's so uninteresting and boring that the only thing that separates him from most of the NPCs is the fact that he hit every branch when he fell out of the stereotype tree.

(I also keep trying to find the stick on the lower part of the controller and then going DUH and moving to where the stick actually is)

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:27 am

Finally beat that annoying boss in The Last Story. I ended up upgrading one of zaels weapons to max and increasing his armor for better defense, even still I barely won though. I was on my last life and some how caught him up in a corner, plus swinging for 250 each hit was a big increase from what I was doing. Despite a few gripes, The Last Story is really starting to suck me in now, this story is progressing nicely and I get more and more curious about it. Also I have to say the english voice acting is really good in this game, the setting definitely fits the UK accents perfectly unlike Xenoblade where they didnt fit at all.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aouEyoAVBBw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBdqbg1m9A[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Metro: Last Light dev:

'Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” explained Shishkovtsov. “We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Shishkovtsov was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.'
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby OL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

^^I hadn't played the original Metro, but the demonstration video for Last Light that was on the Playstation Store was pretty sweet-looking. We all clamor for survival horror this gen; Last Light looks like a genuine horror game through and through. Shooter or not, the goal still looks to be survival and smart management of limited resources.
I didn't hear the greatest things about it, but I might have to try the first one sometime soon.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/20/th ... e-to-date/

Xseed says the Last Story is the most successful game they have released! Also it's now been reduced to 30$

Go buy it people!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm

OL wrote: ^^I hadn't played the original Metro, but the demonstration video for Last Light that was on the Playstation Store was pretty sweet-looking. We all clamor for survival horror this gen; Last Light looks like a genuine horror game through and through. Shooter or not, the goal still looks to be survival and smart management of limited resources.
I didn't hear the greatest things about it, but I might have to try the first one sometime soon.

The original Metro looked great too, and it had quite a few of those ideas but maaaan was it shoddy. Invisible walls, easily re-creatable bugs and some vicious frameskips, and times where the AI breaks.

Its an interesting game, and if you can overlook the bad its worth the 5-10$ most places sell it for now.

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Has anyone ever used Zazzle.com here?
I kept trying to find a good Assassin's Creed poster but wasn't finding anything I particularly liked, so I just went about trying to get one made from an image I like. Just put the order in with them.
Seemed like a good site. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm

OL wrote: Has anyone ever used Zazzle.com here?
I kept trying to find a good Assassin's Creed poster but wasn't finding anything I particularly liked, so I just went about trying to get one made from an image I like. Just put the order in with them.
Seemed like a good site. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

They are fine but crazy expensive and sometimes Copyright images not always accepted for some reason. After you create a design then others can buy your design I think. I can't remember the name but remember one cheaper. Something cafe express or something like that.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Ah, guess I'll have to see if they'll accept mine then (I just took an image by itself and applied it to the poster; hardly a "design" on my part at all, so it may be even less acceptable).
Well, if all else fails, I'll just try elsewhere. Thanks.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Awww yeaaa

Axm has received 3 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, OL, Tuffty
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Does anyone else just loath the new PS Store? Sure it looks nice but it performs and functions like shit. Especially after this new recent update to it things seem to be even worse. I was downloading some demos off it, which btw takes forever with its 12 step process in getting one to go through, and while one was proessing to the que my damn system locks up and I had no other choice but to yank the back power cable. Never have I had to resort to that with my slim ps3.
I'll take back a fast and non broken old store over this pos any day.
I suggest people stay away from it for awhile if youre concerned about your ps3 not bricking or corrupting your hdd.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I like it better

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming