Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:55 pm

"Xbox 3" is in beta, kits on their way to developers - rumour

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48692/xbox-3-is-in ... rs-rumour/

Microsoft's next generation Xbox console has now entered the beta phase of development, according to the source behind the release of a rumoured prototype Kinect 2 interface image in August. Apparently, new kits are winging their way to developer doorsteps as we speak.

"Xbox 3 is officially Beta, congrats," the user known as SuperDAE wrote in a now-deleted Twitter exchange screen-capped by Gamechup. "Awaiting kits arrival to door."

Colour this one highly suspect for the moment, obviously, but SuperDAE does have form in this area. Developer contacts close to the Verge have claimed that the aforesaid Kinect 2 image (in link) is the real deal.

Another, recent Xbox 720 rumour alleges that the device is code-named "Kryptos", rather than "Durango", and that pending the outcome of certain technical dilemmas it'll enter production this year. Only a few days to go, then. One of Bloomberg's contacts believes that Microsoft will host a dedicated event for its next gen Xbox, rather than showcasing at E3 2013.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 pm

I was referring to how easy it is to get a hold of a... free copy. Online multiplayer makes it more difficult to do so.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: It still surprises me that people buy single player only PC games.

MiTT3NZ wrote: I was referring to how easy it is to get a hold of a... free copy. Online multiplayer makes it more difficult to do so.

Ironic. You lament the loss of jobs when something like this happens, but when it comes to supporting the developers with your wallet, you pirate instead...
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's shit they've lost their jobs, but I don't actually care. It's like when you see on the news summat bad's happened in another country. You're not affected by it, so life goes on for you, but you still acknowledge the fact it's shit. Hell, just the other day, the missus fell down the stairs (massive lulz were had in secret), and I checked to see if she was alright, but we've all been there. It hurts a little, you get over it. Doesn't require a ton of emotion pouring over it.

And I'm a pro-piracy guy anyway. Peeps like to take the moral highground over it, but if you're buying second hand games, you ain't supporting developers wallets either (which is why season passes n ish have recently come into play) It may be illegal, but so's smokin bud. So's gettin served alcohol at 16. As is droppin litter on the floor. Unless it's a serious crime though, I don't give a fuck.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Rakim
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:49 pm

^

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Samanosuke Akechi
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Don't get me wrong, it's shit they've lost their jobs, but I don't actually care. It's like when you see on the news summat bad's happened in another country. You're not affected by it, so life goes on for you, but you still acknowledge the fact it's shit. Hell, just the other day, the missus fell down the stairs (massive lulz were had in secret), and I checked to see if she was alright, but we've all been there. It hurts a little, you get over it. Doesn't require a ton of emotion pouring over it.

And I'm a pro-piracy guy anyway. Peeps like to take the moral highground over it, but if you're buying second hand games, you ain't supporting developers wallets either (which is why season passes n ish have recently come into play) It may be illegal, but so's smokin bud. So's gettin served alcohol at 16. As is droppin litter on the floor. Unless it's a serious crime though, I don't give a fuck.

Does it matter how wrong something is if its still wrong? Don't you wish someone would help you if you were in trouble? It shouldn't be expected of anyone to believe in something more then self preservation, but all parties involved prosper in cooperation.

Anyhow, I have a free copy of Darksiders 1 and 2 for steam anybody want it?
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Well, it depends what you calssify as wrong. Everything's open to interpretation.

Say somebody stole something from me. Does it make it wrong for me to steal from that person? Does that make it right for me to steal from someone else? What if the person who stole from me was arrested, jailed, but I didn't get back what was stolen? I wouldn't care the person was jailed, I'd just want my shit back, so no one wins.

That's besides the point though, there's balance.

I bought Arkham Asylum for the 360 brand new. Edios, WB, and Rocksteady got my money. When I set up my PC rig, I wanted to test out my on board graphics card, see what it could handle, so I downloaded a pirated copy of AA for PC. I played it for about ten minutes, saw that I needed to buy a PCI graphics card. The game still sits in my hard drive. Was it wrong of me to do that?

Everything's grey as far as I can see. I don't agree with murder (obviously), but does that make it wrong? Hell no. We're animals, territorial, took over patches of land, imposed laws, and if you didn't like it then GTFO. Is that right? Because it's animal instinct to be territorial and dominant? Animals kill others of it's own species. Are we no different? What if it was my life ambition to have the choice to be a murderer? Where would I go? Would I have to claim my own territory? What if that meant killing others, just so that I could have the right to murder? Not necessarily wanting to, just wanting to have the choice...

The internet, for all intents and purposes, should be free. A free, virtual land, coz who actually owns it? You can own a server, you can charge for providing households with the internet, but what is it at the end of the day? Just information being shared.

Say I want to share a new 16 bar verse I've recorded. That verse has been recorded over an instrumental. The instrumental was created by someone else, I don't have the rights to it. Can I not share it with everyone? What about friends? What if I consider everyone my friend? Coz at the end of the day, who's to say the people I'm sharing it with aren't my friends? We could become friends from the very fact that I've shared something with them.

See the endless questions it provokes?

But yeah, I try to maintain balance in my life. I collect Robbie Williams, Oasis, and Nas albums. I've also bought countless other albums, Wu-Tang, AZ, Daft Punk, U2, etc., etc. But for ones I can't find, or if I can't afford em, or if I just want certain tracks, I'll download em for free. And I ain't gonna scour eBay looking for a Game Boy and a copy of Pokemon, I'll just download a ROM and an emulator. I still bought the thing back in the day, but I'll be fucked if I'm buying it twice.

I was actually over at the Autodesk forums not too long ago (or it could've been Unity, I can't quite remember), and I specifically read the first five or so pages of a topic regarding pirated/torrent copies of software, and one of the developers of the product actually said that as long as no monetary profit is made from using such software... they don't care. He went on to say that it's how he got started, by using pirated software to learn, and even made money off it, but used a small fund he built up to pay for the relevant licenses as an "outstanding debt". He didn't actually have to, coz nobody found out, but he explicitly stated that creativity shouldn't be restricted by money, but in order to maintain balance, if you make something of yourself thanks to a piece of software, the teachings of a mentor, or the support of a family member, you owe a personal debt. The way you repay it is essentially up to you.

Obviously with software n shit, it should be through money, but still, the idea is that you answer to yourself. You do what you can, how you can, and you repay those who helped you along the way. And in the case of games, I got a pirate copy of (you're gonna love this btw) Fahrenheit. As I've said in the past, I liked it. A lot. Hated what the game turned into, but I still enjoyed the ride. A few months after completing it, I actually bought it for the Xbox. Regretted it later because it was scratched to fuck n the shop closed down before I got a chance to return it, but still... I ain't ignorant in that way.

I download comic torrents for individual issues, but I buy them in TPB form when released (if they're good) At the end of the day though, I don't feel one little bit bad about piracy. It helps industry sales a lot more than the suits and stuck-up arseholes care to realise. A lot of my purchases would never have been made without sites like Demonoid (RIP), so I have no ptoblems with it whatsoever, and am very passionate about my stance on the matter. I've discussed it at great lengths with many people in the past. Some agree, some maintain a neutral standpoint, and some disagree. All I know though is that it works for me, and whilst it often means that money isn't an issue when it comes to work tools and entertainment, I can't in all honesty say that pirating has ever been kind to my wallet.

So, whilst a pro-piracy viewpoint may seem like I'm just getting a loada shit for free, it's also encouraging me to spend more. And there is no denying that is definitely supportive of creators.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 pm

I think we just define piracy differently. To me Piracy is stealing a copy of Hotline Miami, a game made by two guys that sometimes skipped meals, and never getting around to buying it (I also think its bullshit when people pay .01 on name your price bundles, but that just goes back to my whole "just because you can get away with it doesn't mean its right" idea)

there are lots of people who sadly just want something for free, the idea that "why pay for something I can get for free" is too prevalent in some warez communities. I think stuff like 3ds Max should be free unless you're selling work, especially for student who don't have money to start with. I also think if a company isn't selling something, then its their fault if people pirate it. Theres so much IP bullshit and price gouging that sometimes pulling something you just can't afford isn't such a bad thing.

I'm only concerned with really brazen pirates who just want free shit to have free shit.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Oh right. Yeah, I pay for homebrews/indie games or donate. Not always straight away (specifically referring to donations), but I do it eventually. Hell, I just recently tried contacting the creator of a font to ask how much it'd cost to use it as part of my business' logo, despite already having it for free. The email address is no longer in use though and the site no longer exists, so in those cases, I don't pay.

I don't get shit to have shit. I actually hate... that shit. Can't stand hoarding, physical or digital. One of the reasons I spent three months clearing out my mam's entire attic and large sections of the house (only for it to suddenly fill back up with junk...)

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Anyhow, I have a free copy of Darksiders 1 and 2 for steam anybody want it?

Are they a package deal? I already own the first one but I would like the second.
Last edited by Calshot on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmJay_qdNc[/youtube]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Calshot wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Anyhow, I have a free copy of Darksiders 1 and 2 for steam anybody want it?

Are they a package deal? I already own the first one but I would like the second.

Nope two separate codes so if you just want 2 you can have it.

So that leaves a copy of Darksiders out there, if anybody wants it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 am

I've seen that video before. I liked it. Thing is though, I'm not dishonest about what I do. I'm quite open about it. There is one huge flaw in using it as an argument though... If someone swapped a game for some brand new £20 notes, then duplicated that money, and gave it away, why the hell should I feel bad about taking it? It's not my sub-conscience telling me it's alright, it's me outright stating that it's alright. And even if it wasn't, I wouldn't care.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 am

Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"