Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: Thief
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Ryudo wrote: It's a TPS. If it's an Action RPG then so is Darksiders II

A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

There are several forms of RPG. The original form, sometimes called the tabletop RPG, is conducted through discussion, whereas in live action role-playing games (LARP) players physically perform their characters' actions.

Role-playing games also include single-player offline role-playing video games in which players control a character or team who undertake quests, and may include capabilities that advance using statistical mechanics. These games often share settings and rules with tabletop RPGs, but emphasize character advancement more than collaborative storytelling.

a player in a role-playing game makes choices that affect the story. Participants in a role-playing game will generate specific characters and an ongoing plot.

Yep ME3 is still an RPG in many ways.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 pm

So Mass Effect 3 isn't an RPG, because no matter what choices you make and what kind of character you build, you're still Shepard and you still face off against the Illusive man.

and plus Saint Row isn't an RPG but you create a character for that.

By that definition Theres only a handful of RPGs (Neverwinter Knights being the only one I can name offhand since its the only one where players can create an actual narrative, even Skyrim has a beginning and an end that are told by the designer)

For the record I don't like how any of the genres are defined right now, and I do think there are plenty of shooter RPG hybrids like SystemShock and Fallout 3. Heck I wouldn't mind if Borderlands 2 won it (the only bad thing about that game was how fucking long it takes to respawn) Its just that the whole reason I didn't like 2 or 3 was because they removed the RPG elements thats what i was playing the series for to start with.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Well of course it has key characters you all have to meet but based on choices some will have a character in all 3 games while others might only see them in the first or first 2.

Apart from the dropped ball final hour the game will still be different for players depending on their actions in the previous games.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Well of course it has key characters you all have to meet but based on choices some will have a character in all 3 games while others might only see them in the first or first 2.

Apart from the dropped ball final hour the game will still be different for players depending on their actions in the previous games.

Like if you kill the Rachni Queen in the first game you totally don't have to deal with her again ;)

Its different yes, you get different characters and stuff but you get the same ending really so that kind of kills it right there. Then the idea that you aren't who you want to be, you're shepard and you have a number of binary choices. Renegade and Paragon make things to0 transparent. You can do a Paragon run, which sort of defeats the purpose of a gray moral tone. Plus theres no lasting consequences for actions that you choose. Yea you can kill characters off its predetermined, you always have a choice of Kaiden or Ash and the ways to get characters killed in ME2 was some of the worst BS I've ever seen (Theres a flag for Tali on a conversation where pissing her off saves her life, and its not like it toughened her up it was about her dad)

Bad:
So WRC do you love puppies? Yes? Ok in 5 hours you're going to die because I asked this question.

Good:
So Wrc, do you like puppies? What? You had a puppy and he was run over by a Turian , so now years of repressed Turian hate come back...umm thats nice. 5 hours later WRC dies because he refused the help of a turian.

I replayed the whole series for 3 because I was excited but I kind of realized that the way the conversation system works just kinda, y'know doesn't.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 pm

I bought Legend of Mana on Vita and I can't even get past the first town. I agreed to save that dudes sister or whatever. Nothing. So Then I said no I won't. nothing. I went to that church asked every question. Nothing. um......the fuck
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: Well of course it has key characters you all have to meet but based on choices some will have a character in all 3 games while others might only see them in the first or first 2.

Like if you kill the Rachni Queen in the first game you totally don't have to deal with her again ;)

That was their biggest cock up[out side the ending] and its clear that was not what they intended to do simply from previous interviews.
That problem comes from them having to make this game as 'new player friendly' because of EA who didn't want to put them off with missing missions. [seriously i cringe during half the conversations because of the ''we meet that time..'' Its like when every damn joke in Family Guy started with ''that time'' before going to a throw away gag.
That and i dare say the short dev time helped Bioware become lazy in some areas.

Its different yes, you get different characters and stuff but you get the same ending really so that kind of kills it right there. Then the idea that you aren't who you want to be, you're shepard and you have a number of binary choices. Renegade and Paragon make things to0 transparent. You can do a Paragon run, which sort of defeats the purpose of a gray moral tone. Plus theres no lasting consequences for actions that you choose. Yea you can kill characters off its predetermined, you always have a choice of Kaiden or Ash and the ways to get characters killed in ME2 was some of the worst BS I've ever seen (Theres a flag for Tali on a conversation where pissing her off saves her life, and its not like it toughened her up it was about her dad)

So does that mean

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: See its not just stats and levels that makes an RPG, Mass Effect 1 is an RPG, it has a deep leveling system, the decisions actually mattered more (though you could make the argument that the karma system and dialogue systems means nothing because they have no truly lasting effects) and there was a very clear distinction between class types. By two everything was stripped down and the game became more shooter then RPG (ie when you took a shot in ME1 there was actually a stat that determined if you missed or not and how much damage you did, when you take a shot in ME2 it does a damage check...and thats all folks). Why bring up the character creation is completely aesthetic (if my character looks like shabba ranks Shepard can still get compliments on his good looks) Saints row has character creation as well.

Isn't an RPG anymore?

No matter what you have to fight Saren [twice] you cant beat him to the conduit or stop him and Sovereign attacking the citadel. Can it not be an RPG if it still at certain points sticks to a story the devs are telling?

You have an impact on the gaming world most of the time because of the choices you make yes some sadly got ruined by being resolved via a lame email.

As i said and as its listed by EA/Bioware and every gaming site i can think of its a Action RPG.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Oblivion had a dead-set ending. Are we going to pretend that's not an RPG too? Or is it classed as an RPG because it has swords, a silent protagonist and umpteen million fetch quests?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:20 pm

(though you could make the argument that the karma system and dialogue systems means nothing because they have no truly lasting effects)

I didn't bring that up because I think having no choices doesn't make an RPG, I think Ys Origin is an RPG and you have the choice of going up the tower or going up the tower. I bothered to mention it because it was the definition you posted. I was point out a hole in your logic, not my own.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:36 pm

It had an impact[sort of] in 2 depending on choices like save Wrex/Council making races act certain ways towards you and so on but they pretty much ignored 1 and 2 in 3 because they wanted to attract that new gamer which just sucked. If people want to play the game they would have played 1 and 2.

Anyone that would have been lost for coming in at 3 had only themselves to blame.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Looking at my collection its time for a clear out.

Can already see around 15 titles i can get rid of [yes that includes sending Blood Money and Contracts to you Mitz ;-) ]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh ffs, you're jokin, right? You're two days too late, my brother's already got me Blood Money for the 360, and I have Contracts on the PS2. I swear to the heavens higher than the high heavens, you will rue this day, WRC. Fucking rue it!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:00 pm

:lol: Really? Oh well.

I suppose this means i can at least sell it now or trade it in instead or hell maybe send it to my sister in Hull.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Jesper Kyd

has become one of my fave video game composers. First western name on my list. Darksiders II & Assassins Creed II have some of the best OST's in gaming last few years. DSII is phenomenal OST and ACII is quite close.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll still have any 360 game you have that I don't.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming