Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Bambi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Friend brought over DcM.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTu2bpcZ3w[/youtube]
I can't imagine how many jimmies were rustled over this.
:lol:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

So I log in to star trek online today and im sitting at the earth dock at starfleet HQ and guess who is sitting on a floating throne right outside the Admirals office? Fucking Q, and he had some special quests that cause temp buffs or something, and here i thought my game would crash if i talked to him.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: Axm, KiBa
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 am

I think I mentioned it a long while back, but just randomly thought of it again and got kind of pissed...
The story for Max Payne 3. Just the bit with
Max basically letting Serano live. Or rather, not killing him. I mean sure, Serano and his people had been wronged or whatever by the big bad shady organization pulling the strings.
Whatever.
But he also murdered a completely innocent girl right in front of Max earlier in the game. The bastard executed her.
And when, even earlier, they'd gone out of their way to make it clear that Max is not okay with violence against women, by having him shoot someone for hitting a girl...
It's just such a huge, gaping hole in my eyes.
I mean, sure, have Max stand back while Serano gets his piddly little revenge against the surgeon. But at least have him stick around long enough afterward to fucking execute Serano or... something.

I dunno. It just still bothers the shit out of me. Even more now than before for some reason.

OL has received a thanks from: KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 am

OL wrote: I think I mentioned it a long while back, but just randomly thought of it again and got kind of pissed...
Max basically letting Serano live. Or rather, not killing him. I mean sure, Serano and his people had been wronged or whatever by the big bad shady organization pulling the strings.
Whatever.
But he also murdered a completely innocent girl right in front of Max earlier in the game. The bastard executed her.
And when, even earlier, they'd gone out of their way to make it clear that Max is not okay with violence against women, by having him shoot someone for hitting a girl...
I mean, sure, have Max stand back while Serano gets his piddly little revenge against the surgeon. But at least have him stick around long enough afterward to fucking execute Serano or... something.

I dunno. It just still bothers the shit out of me. Even more now than before for some reason.

Most of the story makes no sense.
"I feel really bad for these people, They don't have a choice, let me murder scores of them. I could never forgive the people who ruined my life, i make snide comments about the people from the last two games but I let Serrano go because this guy is turning people into glue. I just so happened to have forgotten a whole segment of my life in Panama that made me doubt my friend and employer, whoopsie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR1r6NCeoaM[/youtube]

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby KiBa » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 am

How about how I felt when in Deus Ex: Human Revolution...
I stealth my through the game like a ghost until I hit a "boss." First time in Deus Ex history, they force you to kill. And guess what? The cutscene dialogue explicitly poses a choice to the player, "Will you let her die?" followed by (drumroll) nothing at all! She dies no matter what. No choice at all. So, obviously, something was wrong. It's like they gave up on their own design. Turns out, Eidos Montreal outsourced the (totally unnecessary) "boss" fights to a company in China, and then just ignored the original script, which they nonetheless left in the cutscenes, effectively making it so that none of your choices matter in the slightest, and your stealth/pacifist character makes no sense. ****************megaspoiler************* Then you finally get to the end, and there are literally 4 buttons in an empty room. You click on one to see an ending. W! T! F! Theories: everybody is rushed, no respect for story-telling whatsoever, maybe laziness?, definitely as inexcusable as the gold standard of cheapness and incoherence: Bethesda! >>> "I will not deprive you of your destiny." lol, what?!?!?!?!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
OL wrote: I think I mentioned it a long while back, but just randomly thought of it again and got kind of pissed...
Whatever.

Most of the story makes no sense.
"I feel really bad for these people, They don't have a choice, let me murder scores of them. I could never forgive the people who ruined my life, i make snide comments about the people from the last two games but I let Serrano go because this guy is turning people into glue. I just so happened to have forgotten a whole segment of my life in Panama that made me doubt my friend and employer, whoopsie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR1r6NCeoaM[/youtube]

Dan is a shit story teller and the game needed Lake.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:36 am

Which Zork's the best Zork?
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 am

Quick question guys and hope for a quick answer. If i have a game for the PS3 back home in the UK, will it work on an Australian PS3? They are both PAL like.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 am

Yeah, PS3 is region free, but if you want to play PS1, PS2, DVD, or Bluray they're not.

EDIT: Actually I think Australia and Europe have the same region for Bluray. That should work as well.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am

@KiBa: I do the same thing. If the option is there, I stealth it all the way, rarely even knocking someone out, let alone killing them. However...

Except for anything Batman-related, I'm perfectly fine with the fact that some threats have to be eliminated no matter what. Truth be told, for all they did, I'd say it was within Jensen's character to take em out. And whilst the "select your own ending room" was rather simplistic, I was satisfied. Games rarely have a good ending. There are plenty of bad ones and plenty of okay ones, but you'd be hard pressed to list 10 or 20 games that have truly good (or even great) endings.

As for my Gaming Thought of the Day...

I finished the Walking Dead the other day, and I'm proud to say that no matter how many times it tried (and believe me, it was like quasi fucking modo swinging on my heart strings like they were attached to a bleedin bell), I didn't cry once. Felt myself welling up at times, but goddamnit, that game had brilliant writing. As mentioned about Deus Ex in the spoiler, I don't feel it had a great ending, but I was satisfied. And whilst peeps may complain about the actual gameplay (which is a valid argument considering it's more interactive movie than point and click adventure), I don't think a game has ever moved me as much as this game has. I know, I know, it's all been said before, but I gotta take my hat off to Telltale and applaud them on such brilliant execution.

Now, I'm gonna have to looking into buying Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2, coz I played Episode 1 a few years back n never went back to it. Illegally downloaded though, and it was good enough for me to say I wanted to pay to play em. Really need to get round to doing it.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 am

KiBa wrote: I gave it away. Sometimes I still use it. No problem, though. As I just told south carmain, when I do get one (and I'm planning on picking one up in about a month or so), I'll likely make a new account. When that happens, I'll PM all of you for an update, then we can have jolly good fun together.

Wondered why I hadn't seen you online for a while. Why did you give it up?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 am

Vyse Hazuky wrote: Which Zork's the best Zork?

Of course, that's just nostalgic bias speaking.
Always loved it either way.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 am

Is there any way to play that without owning a Japanese Saturn? (downloadable maybe?)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 am

Return to Zork?
It was originally a PC game. They have it on gog.com.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/return_to_zork
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming