Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Tuffty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Could there be any more of a non-event than the recent reveal of Bungie's new game Destiny? Just full of what the game is gonna be full of hyperbolic marketing crap, no game footage, no nothing. They say the engine can support this gen of consoles, the next gen of consoles and the next gen after that? It might as well be powered by unicorns and pixie dust if you make a statement like that without anything to back it up. Pre orders for the game have apparently opened up since the announcement. Hey, to each their own, but if you make a pre order on this now, then I seriously question your judgement.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Xbox 3. One of the better fan concepts IMO. Evolution of the 360 slim. To me 360 slim is one of the best looking systems ever.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Replaying the Perfect Chaos Boss Battle brings back great memories.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCB9xUXr34[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 pm

gearbox may have used funding from sega for developing colonial marines to develop borderlands 2 and outsourced colonial marines to a different studio that's why it turned out shit
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=196396

if this is true I hope SEGA bleed them dry
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Yup told Mitts. The guy is a blatant liar. Gearbox is done. That is one game developer be glad to wave na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye. I know many love Borderlands but fraud like that they deserve to die as a company.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:25 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: "All of you"? Excuse me, but whenabouts in your "timeline" did you play it? Okay, we get it, you're somewhere on the path to being "transgendered." We get that. Do us a favour though and cut the feministic crap. It's out of place, out of context, and completely pointless outside of attention-seeking.

I would've expected much better than to see such a sweeping generalisation from someone who's sat on both sides of the table.

What does being transgendered have to do with it mittens? My post was not aimed to highlight that fact and if you took it that way it is your own mistake for inferring something out of nothing. I merely questioned the need to have a main protagonist the same gender as oneself to find a game enjoyable or to find something relatable in that character. I would be just as dismissive towards women who would write off FF7 for not being as relatable a game as 6 because Cloud is a male to Terra's being female.

Though it's curious. You claim you "expected much more" from me. But that would suggest holding a higher opinion of someone at one point before that feeling was dashed. Yet you have shown nothing but the worst of animosity towards me since I have been here, which makes such a remark baffling to me. So I a question if I may. Did you truly ever have a non-sour opinion of me at one point in time and merely had the sort of poor demeanor that makes such endearment difficult to express? Or are your words more of an attempt at making another offensive or "outrageous" post that will turn heads? I'm curious.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Bluecast
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I think that's hitting the nail on the head with that last sentence. Seems to be doing more of it lately.
Take his so called shock posts with a grain of salt.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bambi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Ocarina of Time was my first and only experience of Zelda, I've been thinking about the series (especially the older games) a lot recently and I remember being fascinated with the Link's Awakening cover art when it was released, I regret not getting into it back then, especially considering I wasted my parent's money on shite like Rise of the Robots...

Anyway I decided to see if I could find the TV commercial when I stumbled across this masterpiece from Japan.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trl0cvBFgCk[/youtube]

Bambi has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Resident Evil 1.5 is out. IT'S OUT! OH MY GOOOOOOOD! :shocked!:
Can't post it because it's, y'know, against the terms on here and well, illegal. But it's out, it's really out there!

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, wude
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bambi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Resident Evil 1.5 is out. IT'S OUT! OH MY GOOOOOOOD! :shocked!:
Can't post it because it's, y'know, against the terms on here and well, illegal. But it's out, it's really out there!

Yeah it seems someone got a leaked beta of the restoration project and tried to sell it, so the development team released that version to stop anyone getting scammed. :sad:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 pm

*sigh...*

Don't cliick the spoiler tags.

Sonikku wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: "All of you"? Excuse me, but whenabouts in your "timeline" did you play it? Okay, we get it, you're somewhere on the path to being "transgendered." We get that. Do us a favour though and cut the feministic crap. It's out of place, out of context, and completely pointless outside of attention-seeking.

I would've expected much better than to see such a sweeping generalisation from someone who's sat on both sides of the table.

What does being transgendered have to do with it mittens? My post was not aimed to highlight that fact and if you took it that way it is your own mistake for inferring something out of nothing. I merely questioned the need to have a main protagonist the same gender as oneself to find a game enjoyable or to find something relatable in that character. I would be just as dismissive towards women who would write off FF7 for not being as relatable a game as 6 because Cloud is a male to Terra's being female.

Though it's curious. You claim you "expected much more" from me. But that would suggest holding a higher opinion of someone at one point before that feeling was dashed. Yet you have shown nothing but the worst of animosity towards me since I have been here, which makes such a remark baffling to me. So I a question if I may. Did you truly ever have a non-sour opinion of me at one point in time and merely had the sort of poor demeanor that makes such endearment difficult to express? Or are your words more of an attempt at making another offensive or "outrageous" post that will turn heads? I'm curious.

Being transgendered has something in particular to do with this... Metroid is an old game, so old in fact that I presume you played it when you were younger, a kid. You were born a boy, and I'm fairly certain that you did not begin your path to being fully transgendered until you were much older, which I assume was in the last five years.

The issue I'm referencing is when you said (/typed) "you all". It suggests that you are addressing a particular group. It could be argued that it means everybody, but nobody ever does that. Say you were in an office, sat talking to your team. Saying "you all" would mean that you're talking to those in your team, whereas "everybody" would mean all those on the floor, building, world, etc. It is the use of the word "you" (a literary finger point) therefore means that you aren't talking to everyone or a single person, but a certain group of people. Anyway, with that established, the posts that followed Joka's were neither idiotic nor ignorant, so I can rule out the possibility that it is that type of member you are talking to, especially considering how few of them there are round here nowadays. Thanks in no small part to me, obviously.

So, the fact that you used Metroid as an example, and the fact that Samus Aran is a woman, could only lead anyone to believe that you were in fact directing your post at those of us who are male (the vast majority of members on this forum) Also, the fact that you posed a question in such a manner suggests that you have excluded yourself from said group, and are asking this as an outsider who could not have possibly known what it is like to be in such a position.

This is of course wrong, as you would've known what it was like, as you were presumably at a pre-transgendered stage when you played the game. So, knowing full well what it's like yourself from personal experience, plus the fact that you also know there are but a small handful of idiots who pass through here once in a while, one can only be lead to believe that you posted this in order to make a misguided point of some sort, with the most likely scenario being the whole "I'm a woman now" thing.

Now, I know that you're gonna be taking this as a personal attack. Rest assured it isn't. For a while now, the majority of your posts seem to have a sole purpose... let everyone know you're feminine. And it's understandable, really, but you fail to realise not only how cringey it is, but how annoying it is.

I don't think there's anyone on here I actually dislike. Except maybe Dorian. Everyone else I'm cool with, but I'm a "cruel to be kind" guy. If you think I'm a nob ed on here, you should see what I'm like with my missus mates n family. But then again, I'm a Manc, so I get the same thing headed my way too.

So, to answer your questions, yes, I did have a slightly higher opinion of you. I wouldn't consider you one of my favourite posters by any stretch of the imagination. We have very different opinions on some things, but I also recognise and appreciate some of the good points you make and the good sense of humour you can have. I may not have interacted with you much directly, but usually when I agree with something or find something funny, yet have nothing to add myself, I'll instead like/thank a post instead. And no, it wasn't a "controversial post". I don't do those. Americans are just seemingly unacustomed to my way of talking/typing.

Anyway...

Yeah, after that Gearbox can suck a dick. Used to like Pitchford n'all...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Ryudo wrote:
OL wrote: I never even played the original Metroid myself, but the big "reveal," from everything I've seen of it, just seemed like a completely pointless attempt at being "shocking".
And it's rendered even more pointless because Namco had already done something similar a year earlier in arcades with the game Baraduke.
People act like Metroid was groundbreaking for that point, but it really wasn't at all.

Who the hell has ever heard of baraduke? How many kids in the US had an NES and played Metroid?

What does it matter how many people have played it?
The fact that more people have played Ocarina of Time doesn't negate the fact that Megaman Legends had a lock-on targeting system before it. Same deal here.
And just to be clear, I was only referencing the point about Metroid's reveal of a female protagonist. I wasn't saying that Metroid wasn't groundbreaking for other reasons. Just that the "female hero" thing had already been done, so the constant references of how different it was for that point in particular are, for lack of a better word, incorrect. It had been done.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Well it's true Nintendo is often credited for doing something first when they didn't. What Nintendo does is either they do it first. Be the first to do it well,or just do it at the right time and popularize it.....and sometimes just fail right out. E-reader,Mario is Missing,Virtual Boy. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Had a dream last night that I was playing Shenmue 3, except it was linear like FFXIII and played like Jade Empire. Everyone was bitching about it here on the dojo and my wife kept yelling at me in japanese not to play it. When I woke up I thought the dream had really happened. I walked over to my 360 and just stared at it for like 5 minutes strait before coming to my senses.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, MiTT3NZ
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming