Lan Di's finishing move

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Lan Di's finishing move

Postby we420 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:01 pm

I just finished watching the bad ending of Shenmue and I wondered is Lan Di's finishing move a real martial arts technique and if so what is it called.
we420
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Re: Lan Di's finishing move

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Hard to say as the actual move is barely seen in the ending. There are 100s if not 1000s of Shaolin kung Fu moves, many come close to what we see in the ending, although the fact that Lan Di is strinking with the palm of both hands is a bit odd. Obviously most traditional kung fu moves that strike forward with both hands are rather utilizing a fist as you can put more force into the move that way. Especially for a "deadly strike" this seems to be more fictional than everything else.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Its a massage technique that causes the victims insides to shit out their arse and kill them
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Its a massage technique that causes the victims insides to shit out their arse and kill them

Seems we have some massage pro around here...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Calshot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:24 pm

What Lan Di has actually mastered was the silent Hadouken. It's an invisible Hadouken solely used for assassinations that does not leave any exterior traces on the victim's body. It was one of the lethal techniques of Ansatsuken that Gouken removed from the art before teaching it to Ryu and Ken.

Err, I mean, Iwao and Sunming Zhao. And by Ansatsuken, I mean Tiger Swallow style. Lan Di must have learned this technique somewhere.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 pm

He drinks potion number 10 mutha fuckas
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOEj7RSef3M[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 am

Potion number 10 is actually simply japanese whiskey with a fizz of lime.

Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 am

There were a few discussions about this before, I found one of the earlier ones where I participated a bit.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22571

Anyway, I used to practice a style that had the tiger and crane as two main animals. But it incorporated lots of other things from mantis, snake, swallow etc. His finishing move is for example part of this Tiger Crane set (just before 03:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... fdJxA&NR=1

Another open hand move used both palms like his. But instead of having one hand with the fingers upwards and one downwards like Lan Di we had both hands pointing upwards. One slightly lower than the other.
The point of not using a fist is because of the "tiger" emphasis in those moves. The open hand strikes the face and claws the eyes and/or rakes over the face when moving away. The other open hand is used to simultaneously strike the solar plexus with a tense palm. This hurts alot and confuses the opponent.
Having both hands strike there is to exert more force on that point. It has the potential to kill someone but I'm not sure if a trained person like Iwao would have died. He would lie there breathless for a while but, well, it's a game of course. We don't know how well Lan Di executed the move ;)

Another thing my teacher did with an open hand style was pushing fingers at your throat, down towards the ground so he got behind the torso. Dragging you closer that way while hitting the face with an elbow using your motion as extra force. He once demonstrated this slowly and it's very uncomfortable and hurts alot :P So there are advantages with not always using fists.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby DrunkIronRabit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 pm

@we420

I was looking for a random picture and stumbled across your post doing so. I can just as well as any real 'Kung Fu/Gung Fu man/woman' worth his/her salt answer your question so I went out of my way to register for this forum just to answer your question and provide you with some answers.

I don't know what Master Kyodai is talking about:

Hard to say as the actual move is barely seen in the ending.

as far as not really seeing the movement as its very plain to see what move it is (assuming its the move that youre talking about in this clip at 0:48 seconds where he hits Ryo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_lr4JqgrW8

He (Master Kyodai) goes on to say:

There are 100s if not 1000s of Shaolin kung Fu moves,

And he is somewhat correct there since ALOT of our sets have a hundred or more of moves in them. Since the census of living Kung Fu styles as of the year 2000 in china was numbered to and considered as 100+ living kung fu styles many of them claiming to originate from the Shaolin Temple in Shang Dong province in the Shan mountains it's rather easy to say that there are thousands of moves.

A few things that Master Kyodai was wrong about is found in the rest of his statement (but I will break this down to try and stay focused):

many come close to what we see in the ending

I will do my best to break this down into something that's attainable at least in mindset for non-practitioners.

Many moves in a Shaolin set DO NOT come close to what you see in the ending as it is a VERY SPECIFIC MOVE (I knew was it was the second I saw it).

*factoid for you**I had only just begun my Kung Fu training when I was testing this game for Sega in '99 in San Fransisco in the SEGA building on townsend ;p It's been so long since I played this so I had totally forgotten about this clip to be honest (makes me want to go back and see more of Lan Di's stuff. Had I seen it then I would have had to ask Sifu because I dunno if I was knowledgeable enough to know it by sight then, especially since I had sought him out because of his drunken curriculum.

although the fact that Lan Di is strinking with the palm of both hands is a bit odd. Obviously most traditional kung fu moves that strike forward with both hands are rather utilizing a fist as you can put more force into the move that way. Especially for a "deadly strike" this seems to be more fictional than everything else.

This is hardly true for a myriad of reasons.

First of all from a physiology stand point when you ball your fist you constrain the muscles.., thus if you snap your hand into a balled fist from an open hand you continue to multiply speed and generate power until collapsing your hand into a fist at the last second to maintain as much of it as possible.

Thus if above said is true (as it is believed in the science realm) then a palm strike will ALWAYS have more potential to harm.

Reason #1 Kung Fu striking with both open palms is NEVER ODD.

I'll go into this a bit:

When a non-practitioner sees open palms they take it for granted that this could never be damaging like the 'power' a balled up fist produces as seen in Master Kyodai's responce.

In Kung Fu we practice more than a few disciplines that are not part of the set, some examples are but not limited to:

Movement of 'Qi' (the real spelling of Chi 'Ki' in japanese)

Iron (hardening of the body through toughening and strengthening exersizes and conditioning)

Dim Mak (death touch striking)

Other things to consider that the non-practioner never sees:

Hidden fists within the set

how energy is borrowed and dispersed from the ground through your body

coiling

proper movement through stance work

explosive power (fa-jing)

how that particular move covers the whole body: throat, solar plexus, stomach area, dantien, groin it's not an exaggeration that Ryo's body was lifted off of the ground.

how properly techniqued iron fist users can stop your heart from slapping you in the chest moving their qi through you and then following with the physical fatigue from the attack etc.

True kung fu was made to kill, anyone that tells you otherwise is either lying full of shit or doesn't know what they're talking about.

The systems were made to kill bandits and invading wildlife and unscrupulous warlords to protect the monks because their temple was only made of stone. They didnt really have anything to keep animals/people/armys out.

@ys is right the move is from the Hung Family style 'Hung Gar' (from Shaolin) And it is found in the set called 'Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen' Or 'Tiger Crane Double Pattern Fist'

http://www.hunggarkuen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/FuHok-Poster.jpg

the move is 4 columns down 'Tiger' column, 5 movements over called 'Butterfly Flying'

Also the Video he (@ys) showed is an old video that was shot in Hong Kong of my grandmaster 'Chiu Chi Ling' (he was in Kung Fu Hustle) who lives in Alameda, California walking distance from my Sifu Troy Dunwood.

Sorry if I didnt touch on enough of it for you *ys did a decent job but I wanted you to have your actual answer. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions because I may never make it back to the board haha. ;p
DrunkIronRabit
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: drunknironrabit
XBL: DrunknIronRabit
Currently playing: DOA5, P4A, Sleeping Dogs

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPADrhH7I9A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PUvH4xOnQ[/youtube]

Not sure witch one is.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

While I don't necessarily believe in Qi, as to the way it's been described, I still found that a very interesting read.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: DrunkIronRabit
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DrunkIronRabit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Fenix wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPADrhH7I9A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PUvH4xOnQ[/youtube]

Not sure witch one is.

Neither of those Forms have the move in Question in it...

This is the form that its from just as both @ys and myself have comfirmed it.

It can be seen here in this video as referenced by both @ys and myself as performed by my Grand Master Chiu Chi Ling

the movement is done from 3:18-19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsNgQPGgfo
DrunkIronRabit
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

You don't have to see exactly the same form. You better look for movements with double strikes.

Most of styles known as "stranges" came from popular styles. And some Lan Di's stances or avoid movements remembers me the TangLangQuan (mantis) style. Specially on legs positions.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DrunkIronRabit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Except for the whole point in being, that the original poster asked SPECIFICALLY what that ONE MOVE was.

Posting extraneous things in this case not only muddles up this particular post it can confuse people.

This is why in this instance that you have to be concise.

And it would make sense that TONG LONG QUAN would remind you of LAN DI's Hung Gaa because theyre BOTH KUNG FU which are all related in the fact that they all have and are built on the same stances so that's why the no brainer there.

Without proper footwork you have no power, and no Kung Fu (great skill achieved over a long period of time) or ANY of the martial sciences as well including boxing.
DrunkIronRabit
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Wrong, not all Wushu are related or similars. Try to compare Baji and Bagua Zhang. Depends on the region. I posted these 2 styles to give a reference because one of them is related to the Tiger Swallow. Then it's easier to find the move if it exist.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue