Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:Expected a girl..

story of my life
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Surpised you have not seen Breaking Bad. Anyway in the show sometimes you see him playing Sonic Racing on Xbox 360
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:

story of my life

:iagree:

Bluecast wrote:Surpised you have not seen Breaking Bad. Anyway in the show sometimes you see him playing Sonic Racing on Xbox 360

Saw that clip today. I plan to watch Breaking Bad soon enough actually..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Guessing no Banjo and avs this time in the 360 version
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:14 pm

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/08/13/son ... ay-trailer

Gameplay trailer!

Afterburner, Samba de Amigo, Skies of Arcadia tracks confirmed!!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Ryo911 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/08/13/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-gameplay-trailer

Gameplay trailer!

Afterburner, Samba de Amigo, Skies of Arcadia tracks confirmed!!

Sweet!
Ryo911
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: WkdSide

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Was the return/non return of characters ever discussed (placing emphasis on Ryo here of course). I was under the impression that all original characters were going to be in the sequel.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm

No characters are guaranteed places even if they were in the original game.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Hmmm. Wonder of Sega took any sort of privelidges here, in terms of the lineup. Steve, and the SD boys are Shenmue fans and cant see them leaving out Ryo. But i suppose anythings possible then....
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am

Peter wrote:Hmmm. Wonder of Sega took any sort of privelidges here, in terms of the lineup. Steve, and the SD boys are Shenmue fans and cant see them leaving out Ryo. But i suppose anythings possible then....

Yeah man, I hope Ryo does make it in again but fundamentally the concept of this game is different to the first with the vehicles being transformable. Like OL says:

OL wrote:Of course there is the matter of them maybe not having any workable vehicle ideas for Ryo. Since this game also includes water racing and flight, maybe they thought it would look ridiculous to put Ryo in a tiny boat or airplane. The first game, they only had to put him on a motorcycle or in a forklift, things that make absolute sense for his character.
Just a thought.

Then again if they can make-up transforming boats and planes for Joe Mushashi, Vyse and Gillius Thunderhead, they could probably do something for Ryo..

Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 am

Ryo could have used a Chinese fishing boat when in the water, and either the commercial airline that flies over Wan Chai, or even better, one of the fighter jets for when in the air.

Could be a planned move from SD, to add him as a DLC character, that way helping to distinguish who buys this game, and for what reasons.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Ryo911 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:15 pm

I would love to see Ryo riding on a Phoenix!

Ryo911 has received a thanks from: Martin
Ryo911

PSN: WkdSide

Postby oAzREZNoR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I'll be honest, I'm kind of afraid for the music in this.

they said they have Richard Jaques working on it...and his stuff kind of sucks, in my onion. t'would blemish what is looking to be an otherwise awesome game so far.
oAzREZNoR
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Since I'm being accused of being a <insert d word here> all over the internet, I'll qualify my Vectorman statement a little more. I thought the sticky out tongue smiley would indicate there was more to it than face value...

You won't be playing as Vectorman, in so much as he's not a selectable playable character, either as the driver or part of the vehicle.

There are some reasons for this.

First, we're making a game for a modern day gaming audience. As much as we like to include older characters and references for fans, we have a limited ability to do this as we're making a modern game to appeal to a modern audience. There is a good chance that many players of the game wouldn't have even been born when the final Vectorman game came out. Don't forget the character hasn't been the main star of a game since the Megadrive/Genesis era...

Second, we have rules on the vehicle design for the game. Everything has to be no smaller (or bigger) than a given footprint. Everyone complained the bikes last time had an advantage, they were harder to hit, could squeeze through small gaps other vehicles couldn't - and this has been one rule change we've made to ensure the game is more balanced and fairer. As Vectorman would have more than likely been required to be a motorbike (in keeping with the original game) - he was ruled out on these grounds too.

Third - and we've stressed this more than enough - we have to build a character roster that has variety, that is interesting, and which appeals to fans old and new. Part of that is representing characters from all ages of SEGA, and we still have some Genesis era ones to reveal, part of it is as the type of character is already represented, and part of it is that we weren't genuinely convinced that the character as it stood would be considered desirable by a modern audience (Daddy, what is that robot made of balls?).

That's before we get into the 'Who owns the license' question - but that's one for another day.

Does that mean that Vectorman isn't in the game FULL STOP. Maybe, maybe not. Look at this -> :P

You complain when we don't de-confirm, you complain when we do. You can't have it both ways. You also can't assume these decisions are taken lightly. We know how important characters are to people and we do our best to represent this is many ways. Be they playable characters, hazards, cameos, references in speech, achievements, musical cues and more.

But there are many valid reasons why every single character who has ever appeared in a SEGA game or on a SEGA system can't all be in one game.

And this is an example of why we come in here and talk. We have to manage your expectations sometimes. A lot of the time, what you want from the game isn't always what can be realistically done.

If someone wants to offer us an infinite budget and no time limits whatsoever, we'll happily put a team together to make a game with every single character in it that you want. We'll even include every genre of game ever, and have the entirety of Shenmue 3 in as a mini-game :P You might have to wait in Nukem timescales though.

The reality is, we don't have infinite budget or time. So get used to the idea that everything you want or demand won't happen - and in the meantime accept that we're doing the best we can within the limits we have.

You can now of course continue to accuse me of being a <insert d word here>, but at least you'll have to do it with the proper hard facts to hand :)

---
S0L
---

Contrary to Crimson Ryan, I totally see where this guy is coming from. They don't have infinite time or budget. SEGA themselves are not doing very well at the moment, so I imagine the contract Sumo got wouldn't have been in the billions or anything. Sumo Digital are a fantastic development team, and have worked with SEGA very closely for nearly a decade now. They are clearly huge SEGA fans, aware of the heritage, and blatantly grew up on Mega Drive themselves (Sumo are an English team, and the MD was way more popular than the SNES in the UK and Europe).

So what if Ryo isn't in it? This game looks way too awesome to not buy if you're a SEGA fan. I'm getting this.

Martin has received a thanks from: OL
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming