Team Yu needs you!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Team Yu needs you!

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm guessing most regulars probably know I'm an advocate for Team Yu's campaign activities (and Shenmue campaigning activities in general). I thought I'd create this thread as a useful one stop shop for all updates and discussion on the campaign, for anyone who's interested.

For those who don't know about Team Yu yet, I'll give you a rundown of the basic premise. Team Yu are a group currently campaigning specifically for the purpose of encouraging Sega to give Yu Suzuki the Shenmue license, as Yu has explicitly expressed (in more than one interview) that this is what he wishes for, and it's painfully obvious Sega wants little to do with a Shenmue 3. So, how are we going about this? By using the public communication platform of twitter to apply positive pressure to Sega. The key word is public, unlike the mass mailings of years gone by which were easy for Sega to ignore, if we can continually remind the world (and literally half the world are on twitter these days) that Sega are doing an injustice to Yu Suzuki and their fans, this will be a huge public shaming for the company. The beauty of twitter is that it allows for this, and we have decided that a monthly tweetathon held on the 3rd of every month , with the aim of getting our hashtag #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense trending, is the best way to achieve this. If we can get our hashtag trending once a month and build support, and have imploring tweets aimed @Sega flood twitter, it will be a thorn in Sega's side that they can't ignore.

To those that are sceptical that Shenmue 3 will ever be made without Sega playing some role, don't worry. This won't just have the effect of getting Sega to give Yu the Shenmue license, as if there really is a legitimate chance of Sega resuming the saga, Team Yu's campaigning will only act as a source of pressure encouraging Sega to make up their minds and actually DO something.

Here are a choice selection of new and old campaign video's that have been made, please share!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hb5TvhI_k[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AtvBvZ28U[/youtube]

Lastly, can I ask if there are any fluent Japanese speakers here who would be kind enough to translate the following into Japanese?

"If you want to see Shenmue 3, ask Sega to give the Shenmue license to Yu Suzuki."

Thanks, and I hope to see you all on the 3rd of the month!
Last edited by mue 26 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Some more brilliant vids. ShenmueStare's vids always amaze

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZlMp3sEnY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCF8O4g4UI[/youtube]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm

No wonder it's not working. Look how retarded this is.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 pm

joined and shared on facebook.

im going to otakon tomorrow and spreading the word.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:12 am

Thanks a lot Shengoro! That's hugely appreciated :)
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am

As usual I don't mind initiatives. I like that people still care. There was just one thing that came to my mind. Couldn't it have an adverse effect when you're "shaming" the company? Especially Japanese business culture is (used to be) about not making the other party feel pressured into a decision. They could just as well go along and just release something without much quality whatsoever to spite us :P On the other hand, what other options are left besides waiting?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Well you could indeed call it a shaming (or a loss of face). Though I did use that word, there's nothing "nasty" or "cruel" about what we are doing. No one is spreading rumours about Sega, the only thing we aim to do is enlighten as much of the public as possible (though the twitter platform) to the truth of the situation of Shenmue fans and Yu Suzuki. Surely there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, we're not even demanding for Sega to make Shenmue 3! All we are asking is that if they do not continue the Shemue Saga they should pass they license to Yu Suzuki (a man who helped carve out Sega's legacy), and he can do what he chooses. We're not asking them for anything beyond their means, if they do not do anything with the license it is essential worthless to them, why should they hold onto it?

I don't think we can get any more reasonable than that? The fans who demanded a new ending to ME3 (and got it) where far more demanding.

As for Sega releasing a half arsed Shenmue 3 in order to spite the fans, I think that's implausible. I don't think a gaming manufacturer has ever deliberately released a bad product in order to spite the fans before, it would be insane.

We do know when to pull off the pressure however, and we have already decided that if Sega announce Shenmue HD we will relinquish some pressure and change our dialogue with the company. Nobody is being unreasonable.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I see. I first interpreted it as a harsher attack after reading the post. And no, I don't think that they would do something out of spite. That was a bit of a joke. But rather that they would release something to keep the fanbase quiet but without much effort behind it so they don't lose money. But this is just speculation of course. Trying to make them think of giving Yu the license is a different approach compared to before at least.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Just a reminder that it's nearly the third of the month (or is the third in the UK). I hope we can come together and unite for the one thing that we all have in common here, Shenmue!

Couple little bits:

In case anyone wants to know Team Yu's stance on Shenmue HD (and see a nicely rendered pic!)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=493954150616629

For the karaoke lovers
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0cUXZiSHZs[/youtube]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 am

just shared the tweet on twitter.
Otakon went well, my friends and I are planning a Shenmue flash mob kind of thing next year.

I am going to be Ryo because none of my friends feel comfortable bothering random people haha.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby mue 26 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks Shengoro!! I don't know what magic you've worked, but yesterday was our biggest tweetathon yet! It was the most successful #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense tweetathon in every regard.

We've also had a few co-signs from players within the gaming press and industry;

Games TM (magazine) https://twitter.com/gamesTMmag/status/2 ... 6076367873

Steve Lycett executive producer at Sumo Digital https://twitter.com/S0LSUM0/status/231512019038244864

And 1up http://www.1up.com/features/unclear-des ... -shenmue-3

Huge thanks to everyone who participated!

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:46 pm

I did a petition at Otakon and handed out flyers. I also got the Ice Cold Water Guy to shout Shenmue stuff on his megaphone.

I didn't get a video of it unfortunately but this is who im talking about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwecxY2-oQ[/youtube]

Im not sure if it helped the tweetathon but I exposed it to a good couple thousand people.

I really enjoy what you are doing and when it comes to Shenmue, I don't give up.

New York comic-con is coming soon and unfortunately im not going so Im sending my one friend with a mission.

Yama, will you be there??

I am also contacting Rocco from Mega64. They are pretty big Shenmue fans so hopefully he'll give me a call back.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am

Well apart from other shenmue 3 campaigners who is going to look at our videos. I think we should all wear campaign t shirts.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 pm

I think some type of public disruption would get notice.

My friends and I are planning a flash mob with some dancers and shit, all Shenmue themed.

I have a feeling we can get the videos to go viral with some help from Mega64 ad really get shenmue and the campaigns noticed.

If anyone here is in the Baltimore area and wants to join the cause, contact me by email.

[email protected]
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby lavrentis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 am

Shenmue themed dancers :shock:
lavrentis