2012 Olympics

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:Using caps will always be seen as shouting to me, and you've kind of shown I can still think that way as you "shouted" to make me read that particular part. I wasn't even concentrating on that part though because your swearing and not so subtle hints that you think I'm sub-human on the intelligence scale got my attention more. Explaining things over and over can be annoying, but you can't just speak louder, slower with insults and expect to get the results you want if you don't look at what might be causing the problem in the first place. It's not always just the other person's mistake...

That said, do you finally see where I could have misunderstood what you said as bringing the medal count back into it like mue 26 managed to see? Yes, we were on the same track until it looked like you jumped to the other side of the dual carridgeway!

no I talked to you harshly because it works, see where we are now? finally on the same track, If I had answered you normally you would still be saying that the amount of athletes we entered does not effect the medal count, if you you wanted to talk normally when I said
uhh yes, that's basically what everyone has been saying including me?

you would of just said you misunderstood me instead of continuing to argue over the medal count despite it being the 3rd time I tell you we are on the same track
, as for my mistake if you looked at both of my statements where you misunderstood me closer especially the second after i confirmed we were on the same track you would of easily seen what I meant
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

No, it just made me repeat what I was trying to say, only with red highlights instead of simple bold in the quotes. I just went slowly and calmly through my points to explain where I got the idea from because you seemed to miss it when I said it the first time, no harshness needed. I quoted that sentence 3 times with increasing highlights to get you to notice it and put me right on any misunderstanding, and you still haven't acknowledged it.

I'm not saying I was faultless in that exchange, but you also had your part to play in the confusion. We're finally back on the same factual track but now you're trying to put all the blame for it all on me when it's just a tiny error on both sides making a mountain out of a molehill. Methinks you doth protest too much.
Last edited by Neo Matrix on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YOU for Yakuza 5!
It's the closest thing we'll get to Shenmue III for the forseeable future...
油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成24年8月15日
Playing for Sony: Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Playing for Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Izuna (DS)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuuden, Rock Lee's Ninja Pals, Area no Kishi, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Hokuto no Ken, Aishiteruze Baby

Image
User avatar
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London, England
PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm

no I would of agreed with you 2 posts back if I didn't have to explain myself countless times, but by the time I became a little more imposing in my speech it wasn't me pushing the argument but just trying to explain again and again that yes it's true that it doesn't matter the amount of athletes we entered while you insisted to repeat the same argument to everything I say despite making it clear before, why would someone repeat the same argument over and over again if they're not pushing the argument? you're the one who aimed 2 posts at me to start this argument then insisted on repeating those 2 posts despite every post I made was explaining we were on the same track then finally saying it's because of a sentence that could of gone both ways and even though I was obviously one way you chose to see it the other, it's kind of ironic you say I protest too much when you're the one who started it in the first place, you can cry about me being insulting in my post but at least I'm direct and not being patronising like you're trying to be, it seems it affected you a lot more than you're trying to let believe
Last edited by south carmain on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 pm

This thread has basically tuned into this scene: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYermKUnDJk[/youtube]

I think Carmain probably used "gain the amount of medals" in the negative sense, as in it's the reason we didn't get as many as USA. Neo just misinterpreted this sentence as it was quite easy to do. Shall we just forget everything that went after this point, and bury the hatchet?
[size=85][center]Help TeamYu and the #SaveShenmue movement today!
https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
http://facebook.com/TeamYu
Image

mue 26 has received a thanks from: south carmain
User avatar
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: December 2009

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 pm

mue 26 wrote:This thread has basically tuned into this scene: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYermKUnDJk[/youtube]

I think Carmain probably used "gain the amount of medal" in the negative sense, as in it's the reason we didn't get as many as USA. Neo just misinterpreted this sentence as it was quite easy to do. Shall we forget everything that went after this point, and bury the hatchet?

well even though I've calmed down in recent years hackney has left it's touch on me :lol: right let's just leave it at a misunderstanding, it's not as if we even have 2 different view points anyway
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Also, to your edit...

south carmain wrote:not to mention like in our previous argument you just ignore half of what I'm saying leading you to completely ignore the point I'm making in the first place (or in this case make one up for me)
Funnily enough, I don't remember exactly what happened as I drew a line under that, although I did take more care to read what people have been saying just in case of another misunderstanding and whaddayaknow... another snafu because I paid too much attention to what someone was saying, it just happened to be one of your posts again.

south carmain wrote:as for the poorly worded sentence it just meant the US has usually a bigger team and the fact we had a bigger one than them this year doesn't change the medal count, as I had implied in the post before those who won medals would of qualified anyway as they are all world class athletes
So where did the "medals gained" part come from? It seemed like an incomplete sentence so I took it to mean "and the amount of medals gained was larger than usual because of it" or words to that effect as I could come up with no other reason for those words to be in that sentence even though it went against what we were both trying to say. I tried to point it out, but you decided to rant on without realising what I was trying to say.

mue 26 wrote:Shall we forget everything that went after this point, and bury the hatchet?
I would love to... It's just that I was getting a "don't mess with me because I don't make mistakes" attitude from Carmain that just rubs me the wrong way. All I was looking for was for Carmain to acknowledge that the sentence came out in a way that could be misinterpreted, which I now have... kind of. Now, if only I could get an apology for the needless insults as "being harsh" is not an excuse. I can dream...

So... who's Janet in that scene?
YOU for Yakuza 5!
It's the closest thing we'll get to Shenmue III for the forseeable future...
油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成24年8月15日
Playing for Sony: Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Playing for Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Izuna (DS)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuuden, Rock Lee's Ninja Pals, Area no Kishi, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Hokuto no Ken, Aishiteruze Baby

Image
User avatar
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London, England
PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:Also, to your edit...

south carmain wrote:not to mention like in our previous argument you just ignore half of what I'm saying leading you to completely ignore the point I'm making in the first place (or in this case make one up for me)
Funnily enough, I don't remember exactly what happened as I drew a line under that, although I did take more care to read what people have been saying just in case of another misunderstanding and whaddayaknow... another snafu because I paid too much attention to what someone was saying, it just happened to be one of your posts again.

south carmain wrote:as for the poorly worded sentence it just meant the US has usually a bigger team and the fact we had a bigger one than them this year doesn't change the medal count, as I had implied in the post before those who won medals would of qualified anyway as they are all world class athletes
So where did the "medals gained" part come from? It seemed like an incomplete sentence so I took it to mean "and the amount of medals gained was larger than usual because of it" or words to that effect as I could come up with no other reason for those words to be in that sentence even though it went against what we were both trying to say. I tried to point it out, but you decided to rant on without realising what I was trying to say.

mue 26 wrote:Shall we forget everything that went after this point, and bury the hatchet?
I would love to... It's just that I was getting a "don't mess with me because I don't make mistakes" attitude from Carmain that just rubs me the wrong way. All I was looking for was for Carmain to acknowledge that the sentence came out in a way that could be misinterpreted, which I now have... kind of. Now, if only I could get an apology for the needless insults as "being harsh" is not an excuse. I can dream...

So... who's Janet in that scene?

I think Carmain probably used "gain the amount of medal" in the negative sense, as in it's the reason we didn't get as many as USA. Neo just misinterpreted this sentence as it was quite easy to do.

mue got it, as I said it could of gone both ways but you chose the one that suited you and I would of apologised a few posts back if you didn't decide to push it, after being a patronising dick do you really expect an apology for the insults, seriously?

I proposed to let it go a post ago, but hey waddya know you continue to push it

finally I highlighted the 2 main parts of the sentence so you can notice that it could indeed mean that it didn't effect the medal count, notice the and?
still doesn't change the fact that it's the only reason we had a bigger team than the us and the amount of medals gained

as in it doesn't change the fact of the amount of medals gained, I said I saw where the confusion was, but you kept on arguing despite me trying to tell you we were on the same track, from that point you take responsibility, you can't blame the person who spent the entire conversation trying to set things right
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Where was I being patronising? There was no intent on doing so, I assure you.

I repeated because you didn't acknowledge it, and even went as far as to insult me before seeing what I was trying to say. You chose to see it as pushing it instead of seeing where I might have misunderstood you. I only saw one interpretation, if I saw more I would have asked more directly which you meant. I still don't see the other meaning to be honest and I'm normally good at seeing different meanings in what people say, but I'm now locked into it being an incomplete sentence and seem to have lost the ability to look at it from another angle.

Of course I don't expect an apology, they rarely do come in situations like this where insults are thrown for seemingly no real reason. It means you meant what you said and not just to get a reaction out of me. Anyway, I said I was dreaming of it...

It's also these edits causing issues. I say something, submit it and see you've edited the previous post so I change it to accommodate the edit, then you do the same thing. I'd prefer a hatchet burying too, but we're having a lagged conversation right now which is stopping it.
YOU for Yakuza 5!
It's the closest thing we'll get to Shenmue III for the forseeable future...
油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成24年8月15日
Playing for Sony: Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Playing for Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Izuna (DS)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuuden, Rock Lee's Ninja Pals, Area no Kishi, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Hokuto no Ken, Aishiteruze Baby

Image
User avatar
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London, England
PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:Where was I being patronising? There was no intent on doing so, I assure you.

I repeated because you didn't acknowledge it, and even went as far as to insult me before seeing what I was trying to say. You chose to see it as pushing it instead of seeing where I might have misunderstood you. I only saw one interpretation, if I saw more I would have asked more directly which you meant. I still don't see the other meaning to be honest and I'm normally good at seeing different meanings in what people say, but I'm now locked into it being an incomplete sentence and seem to have lost the ability to look at it from another angle.

Of course I don't expect an apology, they rarely do come in situations like this where insults are thrown for seemingly no real reason. It means you meant what you said and not just to get a reaction out of me. Anyway, I said I was dreaming of it...


still doesn't change the fact that it's the only reason we had a bigger team than the us and the amount of medals gained

as in it doesn't change the fact of the amount of medals gained, I said I saw where the confusion was, but you kept on arguing despite me trying to tell you we were on the same track, from that point you take responsibility, you can't blame the person who spent the entire conversation trying to set things right

right well I apologise if you weren't being patronising, but read this part
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm

right I just realise it's 3:30am and we're arguing over the argument we had about what we agreed on, I think we both have ego problems and you win if you want but we both lose at life #-o thank god I can finally get laid again next month
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Seriously, I'm trying and just can't see it in that particular sentence. Maybe it's how I'm reading it in my head but "and the medals gained" (if only those words weren't in that sentence at all) just reads as if the sentence was... incomplete for that particular meaning and my only recourse was to make a strange link to team size and medals as the only way to justify the words being there. I thought you were going back on what you said when we found parity and you must have thought something similar even though we were both looking for the same thing...

a lot barely qualify and the excess got a free pass still doesn't change the fact that it's the only reason we had a bigger team than the us but the amount of medals gained has nothing to do with it


I didn't see where you said you saw the confusion, it just leapt into the white noise of insults from where I was sitting. We're both on the right track on both sides now though, I hope. *offers hand*

Grr, another edit/post!

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm ok. :P I don't want to win, I just want us both to fully understand what happened and why, and I think we're there now. Why wait till next month to get laid though? I know why I have to wait ages but I didn't think it was the same for many others...
YOU for Yakuza 5!
It's the closest thing we'll get to Shenmue III for the forseeable future...
油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成24年8月15日
Playing for Sony: Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Playing for Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Izuna (DS)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuuden, Rock Lee's Ninja Pals, Area no Kishi, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Hokuto no Ken, Aishiteruze Baby

Image
User avatar
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London, England
PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 pm

I just meant was that it didn't change the 2 facts that we had the biggest team and the amounts of medals gained, basically I was saying that the argument of how many qualified or not wasn't important
I'm off work tomorrow so I'm ok.

it's not that, it's just that the whole situation is incredibly sad
Why wait till next month to get laid though? I know why I have to wait ages but I didn't think it was the same for many others...

I got engaged to a women when living in the middle east and only go back next month, I'm not the cheating type so it's been an incredibly long and frustrating dry spell
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Congratulations, and at least you have a reason for a dry spell other than "no-one will look at me". :) The situation is only "sad" because it's late at night? We're doing inception arguments! :P

I'm sure I was about to misread that sentence again. The biggest team we've ever had and the highest medal haul we've ever had has no correlation, right? On the flip side I was trying to say that I was hoping that if you took out the automatic places we still would have had the biggest team we've ever had.
YOU for Yakuza 5!
It's the closest thing we'll get to Shenmue III for the forseeable future...
油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成24年8月15日
Playing for Sony: Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3), LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Playing for Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Izuna (DS)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuuden, Rock Lee's Ninja Pals, Area no Kishi, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Hokuto no Ken, Aishiteruze Baby

Image
User avatar
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London, England
PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:Congratulations, and at least you have a reason for a dry spell other than "no-one will look at me". :)

ah well it will get better don't worry about it ;-)
The situation is only "sad" because it's late at night? We're doing inception arguments!

it's sad because we are putting so much energy in to a pointless argument in the middle of the night
I'm sure I was about to misread that sentence again. The biggest team we've ever had and the highest medal haul we've ever had has no correlation, right? On the flip side I was trying to say that I was hoping that if you took out the automatic places we still would have had the biggest team we've ever had.

might be, quite a few probably got a free pass but we might of entered over 400 hundred good enough to qualify who knows, maybe they'll release official figures one day
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby mue 26 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 am

I'm sure I was about to misread that sentence again


The sentence makes sense if you look at it like this: We've got a bigger team than USA, but it's made up of a large amount of low level athletes, hence why we gained the amount of medals we did: which was less than USA.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but I think that's what Carmain was getting at...I think. This thread is confusing me now :P
[size=85][center]Help TeamYu and the #SaveShenmue movement today!
https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
http://facebook.com/TeamYu
Image
User avatar
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: December 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net