Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

Postby ys » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm

I think he was one of the most tested athletes ever. Anyway, I'm European so I have no nationalistic bias but it just feels a bit wrong and... I don't know...tragic.
As I said, sure, he maybe found a way to test negative despite taking stuff. But so did many others and it's that detail that annoys me.
As south carmain replied to me : it's a start and they maybe can't go after earlier cases from the sixties?
True, but there are many cases from the nineties and 2000's where they prohibited inividuals from participating in events for a certain period but I don't know about many that lost titles. Especially not this long after the facts and all titles for that matter. There are some doubtful cases for example with athletes winning a big event, and then quitting all of a sudden. I suspect there's some politics behind it all regardless of him being guilty or not. I remember that the French were after him as soon as he got close to the Tour de France-record of a French bicyclist. After that it got more intensive and if I recall right they did cooperate with the US organization there.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:07 pm

the thing about armstrong is that if he did cheat then he really deserves to have them stripped first, but knowing the french's superior complex I wouldn't be surprised if it was just out of spite that they put so much effort in taking him down, but don't worry yanks we'll stop the French from winning anything ;-)

south carmain has received a thanks from: Spokane
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm

that's always comforting to hear
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I used to wear one of those yellow Livestrong bracelets so I think it's fair to say I'm a huge fan of this guy.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Neo Matrix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:59 am

ys wrote:I remember that the French were after him as soon as he got close to the Tour de France-record of a French bicyclist.

I was almost certain it was Miguel Indurain (a Spanish guy) who had the record, but on closer Wiki inspection it's him as well as 2 Frenchmen and a Belgian who have all won 5. That said, it seems what the records show and who the organisers deem to have won the title after doping offences and title stripping is very inconsistent.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Sonikku » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:00 pm

France has been spiteful of the US ever since we liberated them from Nazi Germany. I can't say for a fact if he ever doped or not, though there is no proof, nor is it fair to strip someone of their accomplishments based on an accusation and a hunch. I suspect many of his colleagues have doped at one point or another, that would account for the whole "Give Lance up and we'll look the other way" plea deal they cut them. The whole affair reeks of people willing to send someone else up the river to spare themselves from taking personal accountability for their actions combined with Nationalism of France not being able to accept defeat at the hands of Americans. If he did dope, he does deserve to be held responsible for his actions. But the unending witch hunts and disproportionate amount of scrutiny placed on Armstrong suggests ulterior motives.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 am

Lance Armstrong stripped of all seven Tour de France wins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20008520

UCI president Pat McQuaid said: "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten."
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

OL wrote:It's because he's been hounded by this same organization for such a long time now. He's already taken test after test, ever since the start of his career, on up to this very year. The guy is retired now. Taking a new test would show absolutely nothing, but these people have kept on him about it regardless. Like Spokes said, this organization was looking for their own specific conclusion, rather than the actual truth. And Armstrong knows that. He knows they wouldn't let up until they can figure out something to screw him over.
So he's just decided to bow out. He doesn't feel it's worth it anymore.
It's easy to say from the outside "well why not just take another test?"
But he's proven himself so many times already that taking another test to appease the naysayers probably feels like an insult to him. And you can only be patient with something like that so many times before you just want to flip them the middle finger and say "I'm done with you," which is exactly what he's done.

+1
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Sonikku » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 pm

For a group of people that seem to think Lance should be forgotten, they sure as hell have been trying their darnedest to keep him in the spotlight for years without end. This may sadly be as a result of that part of our society that seems obsessed with propping heroes up today just as quickly as it screams out for tearing them down tomorrow.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:39 pm

so um... what is a tour de france title? :theyareontome:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

And it all goes to show that WINNERS TAKE DRUGS, kids.

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: wude
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: so um... what is a tour de france title? :theyareontome:

A bunch of guys ride bikes and want it to be a sport because the french have no real sports so they have riding bikes then they wank flip a coin and pick a guy who won at riding his bike best. They celebrate and then no one really gives a shit....unless it's an american who juices up gets his nuts cut off. Then eat cheese and wank to some hentai.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:46 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: so um... what is a tour de france title? :theyareontome:

It's pretty much the biggest cycling competition in the world and Lance Armstrong was probably the best there ever was despite getting cancer lots of times.

Ryudo wrote:A bunch of guys ride bikes and want it to be a sport because the french have no real sports so they have riding bikes then they wank flip a coin and pick a guy who won at riding his bike best.

Yeah not a sport like golf...

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby KiBa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

So, the report provides no physical evidence whatsoever, but contains (as far as has been reported) only the testimony of some former teammates? Odd decision.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Why did I think it was a soccer championship? o_____o
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic