Random Thoughts! v2.0

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Postby Calshot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 am

I keep mistaking OL's posts for Ryudo's because of OL's mostly blue Klonoa avatar.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 am

Fixed.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:37 am

I like it. Pink and orange are great together. As much as I love Klonoa, I kept thinking I was scrolling past Ryudo posts too.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 am

How interested are you guys in about a ensemble movie featuring a bunch of gamers who have to compete in different areas of a tournament (fighting, DDR, Rockband, ect) with a chance to win the honor of hosting a "World Premiere AAA Game" broadcast to give attention to their dying niche videogame store? Sort of like a grown-ups "The Wizard" meets "Clerks."

Cause i'm seriously considering writing it in the near future after I finish the current stuff. I want to include references to games that don't only have to do with fucking 1-Ups, Pac-Man and Pong. And not have people mash buttons mindlessly. Basically eliminate (or make fun of) every misconception about how games are portrayed and thought of.

The tournament won't be the focal point. Rather i'm thinking the first two-thirds will be explaining how these different characters function in the real world, interact with each other in this game store, how others perceive them, and finally we get to the local tournament.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 am

^ To be honest. Would never watch it. I really hate movies staring "gamers" they often come across as dude bro shooter fans and douchebag like. Wizard was fucking horrible of a film besides being a bad Rain Man and giant ad...no wait that is why it was shit. I just want to see Wreck it Ralph and only want true faithful films to games I love and very few of them. I don't really give a shit about a film about gamers or what hollywood perceives as gamers. To sell they would make the gamers douchebags or stereotype big bag theory stuff. Also Even if done decent I would not want to watch fictional characters play games. Would just make me stop watching and actually go play
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 am

OL wrote: Fixed.

Dammit. You broke the awesome retro flow
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 am

Kenny, could you not do a Lawnmower Man/Mortal Kombat/Inception type script, where people put themselves in a death match style game. But if you die in the game, you die in real life, like when they enter the Matrix and if you die in the game, you die in the real world? Set it in the future, and of course the winner gets a huge sum of money. You could use so many influences, not just from the movies i listed above, but movies like Battle Royale, Running Man etc... Even Avatar, where you appear in the game as a doppelanger of yourself maybe.

Or has that been done before?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 am

Well now I mistake OL for Sonikku :P

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am

Ryudo wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Stop bein a depressin cunt.

That's like asking you to stop being an egotistical cunt. I do not believe either is possible sir. We can all enjoy cake.

Totally thuper awesome egotistical genius*.

@AG: You have a bird. You have t'interweb. You have games. You have music. You have food. You have drink. You have home. You have balls(?)
If all of that is true, you're fine. If the last one isn't, go out and get some. Either way, get your shit together, stop whinging about things that ain't goin your way, and focus on the things that are.

@Kenny: As a film I reckon it'd be pretty shit. A documentary though would be pretty decent.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 am

I am thankful for all those things, but this shit streak has been down right uncanny. I guess its a sign and I need to do something different. Too close of calls here lately, I guess I need to get my act together.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 am

Yeah, defo, been through similar shit. Sounds gay, I know, but don't feed into negativity or owt, best thing you can do right now is ignore it and stay positive.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am

Kenny wrote: How interested are you guys in about a ensemble movie featuring a bunch of gamers who have to compete in different areas of a tournament (fighting, DDR, Rockband, ect) with a chance to win the honor of hosting a "World Premiere AAA Game" broadcast to give attention to their dying niche videogame store? Sort of like a grown-ups "The Wizard" meets "Clerks."

Cause i'm seriously considering writing it in the near future after I finish the current stuff. I want to include references to games that don't only have to do with fucking 1-Ups, Pac-Man and Pong. And not have people mash buttons mindlessly. Basically eliminate (or make fun of) every misconception about how games are portrayed and thought of.

The tournament won't be the focal point. Rather i'm thinking the first two-thirds will be explaining how these different characters function in the real world, interact with each other in this game store, how others perceive them, and finally we get to the local tournament.

Ryudo wrote:^ To be honest. Would never watch it. I really hate movies staring "gamers" they often come across as dude bro shooter fans and douchebag like. Wizard was fucking horrible of a film besides being a bad Rain Man and giant ad...no wait that is why it was shit. I just want to see Wreck it Ralph and only want true faithful films to games I love and very few of them. I don't really give a shit about a film about gamers or what hollywood perceives as gamers. To sell they would make the gamers douchebags or stereotype big bag theory stuff. Also Even if done decent I would not want to watch fictional characters play games. Would just make me stop watching and actually go play

Hate to say it, but I feel pretty much the same as Ryudo. Your intentions are good, but it'd be hard as shit do do something like that without resorting to the usual stereotypes and whatnot that equal "teh laffs" in hollywood.
And besides that, I usually kind of hate the vg dorks that stand around at the game store yacking about shit. They never, ever strike me as "cool guys" by any means. They all come off as weird loners who gather not because they enjoy the company of their friends, but only so they can go on about the shit they like.

We have kind of an anomaly going on at the Dojo in that we seem to have a number of people who actually are just cool, normal people in real life, but happen to like gaming. Not many of us seem to be the stereotypical gamers at all.
But, sadly enough, those stereotypes do exist, and are a little too common for them not to find their way into the movie.

If I'm completely honest though, I probably wouldn't mind a slightly simpler drama/comedy about a guy who just kind of happens to be into gaming in a big way. Make it about him, rather than a kooky band of game store loiterers.
Your description sounded a little too much like a Broken Lizard movie or something. I imagine that a movie kind of like, say... Chasing Amy, but involving videogames instead of comics, wouldn't be a bad idea.
Except that Chasing Amy sucks. But you know, the idea isn't bad. Something about the character himself, with gaming serving as a background for him. That way you could still have all manner of videgame-related stuff in there; conversations, background details, references to obscure stuff, etc. Have characters talk about something in a game, and relate it to their real-life situations. Stuff like that.
But it wouldn't necessarily have to be a big, unceremonious, likely-unflattering goofball comedy.
I think poignance would be a better goal than raucous laughter. You'd probably connect with a lot more gamers that way. Just regular people who happen to have a hobby they love.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 am

...or, flip it on it'd head. Use the type of character OL's suggesting, have him an employee at the shop, and characterise him in a way that underlines the fact that he can't stand those no-lifer types. Just to stick the boot in.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am

^^Brilliant. Could add a complexity to the character; loves gaming, but ain't a fan of most others who are into it.
Shine a different light on everything, that we're not all Big Bang Theory or Grandma's Boy fuckwits.

Completely separate note: I keep seeing this damn ad when I upload a picture.
Website content aside (I'm not trying to incite any anti-religious talk), why the fuck are they trying to advertise a dating site by showing what's apparently a half-shaven forest rodent?
Is that what guys are in to now?

But yeah, she's fucking weird-looking.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 am

Find God's match for you, but you need a dating site for that to happen? huh?

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: wude
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic