The alcohol thread

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The alcohol thread

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm

So to start, I had two reasons for making this thread.

Firstly, im questioning whether or not I am/starting/growing to be an alcoholic.
On the reg, I have atleast 1 drink a day. While I type this im drinking a Sapporo with lunch, after drinking plenty last night with my friends. Had like 6 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale and that was a responsible amount for me.
But I also drink plenty of Sake, mixed drinks with rum, strait whiskey, patron and really anything available for the times. Im cuban-american so I like me some mojito or cuba libre with a cigar if possible.

Again, atleast one drink a day. Alchy or not?
Could be offensive to some people that I might suggest this compared to others themselves or with family that very much is, but I just want to know if I should be concerned for myself or not.
Hopefully im not cause...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SuY3T_U6c[/youtube]

Secondly,
Whats your guys favorite drinks? I know we got a pretty mature user base here so I wanna know.
Shoot.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: The alcohol thread

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 pm

That seems pretty normal to me but I ain't a doctor.

As far as drinks, I don't drink many mixed ones or wine. I had a few Rhode Island Ice Teas and Margaritas. But I mostly drink beer. Corona, Heineken, Stella, Bitburger, Carlsberg, Sam Adams, Miller Highlife, Guinness Draught (though i'm not sure its shit according to Peter). Imported brew is the best. And if I can get it on tap, I will.

But I don't drink very often. Last time I had a cold one was this past weekend and then maybe two weeks before that? I drink socially, don't like drinking alone.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 pm

in my opinion yes as it's daily, but I don't drink and even when I did it was barely once a week so don't take my word for it
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm

This is what they told me at alcohol/drug school that the state made me go to. 1 drink a day is ok, but anymore than 3 drinks on any given occasion is not healthy. having 14 drinks over the course of 2 weeks is ok, even if its not one a day, just as long as its not over 3 in one sitting. It was weird, but they actually told me drinking 1 drink a day does not make you an alcoholic. one drink of course meaning 1 shot, one 12 oz beer etc.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Not a huge fan of beer. Fills me up quickly and I drink it too slow. Shot's of 151 or goldschlager. If I'm feeling good i'll have a jack or captain and coke. I dont drink soda so that isnt that often. Hell come to think of it, I barely drink anymore. Maybe twice a month.

I did enjoy some Kirin and Asahi dry while I was in Japan. The advertisements for Asahi dry were everywhere. I couldnt help but try it! :beerchug:
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Working in the industry and being Irish, alcoholism isnt talked about much. Its a weak word and a taboo subject. You can never drink enough in this country. I myself have dabbled in it though i am not too sure what actually classes as being an alcoholic. I assume its the dependancy aspect that determines its meaning, so its all a question if you need alcohol to function in day to day life.

I was drinking every night over the summer. I only drink beer now, and sometimes the occasional Guinness or 12 year malt. But 90% beer only. I am not a spirit, wine, cider or alchopop drinker. But with having a 6pk of beer every night, my body tolerance level for alcohol rose, and it only became apparent that i was drinking every night to help put me to sleep. I cut that down to weekends, and now since i am in 12 weeks training for Australia, i am off alcohol completely. Well like i say i am Irish, so i am not off it completely. Its in our blood to drink.

Look at the end of the day, we all only live once. If you wanna have a drink at any time or any place, then have one. As long as it doesn't consume you, and become a necessity to live. It may not be healthy, but sure everything is bad for you these days. Oh and Kenny, dont listen to me, i talk shite sometimes. Guinness Draught is fine. But outside of Ireland the quality drops significantly.

Peter has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Peter wrote: we all only live once.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Peter wrote:Oh and Kenny, dont listen to me, i talk shite sometimes. Guinness Draught is fine. But outside of Ireland the quality drops significantly.

Oh i'll drink it anyway. I still like it. But if its shit by comparison, then the real deal when I get to Ireland better be nectar of the gods. I'm holding you to that!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Fuck man i wish i was here when you are all coming to Ireland :lol:

Its unreal man. The pints i had in America were as thin as water. Stout is thicker and the head creamier. Ahhhh id love one now!!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

It's all about real ales, dark rum, whisky, vodka and cider in my yard. When I say cider I don't mean that Magners shit either. We're talking proper cloudy shit that doesn't have any fizz to it. It gets you fuuuuucked up. I like the occasional lager too but I've definitely become more of an ale man in my old age.

I wouldn't say drinking every day makes you an alcoholic. As Peter said, it's only when you become physically or mentally dependable on it that it starts to get a bit dark. A leisurely drink to chill out after a days work is fine, it's what we do when we get older innit.

Peter wrote:Guinness Draught is fine. But outside of Ireland the quality drops significantly.

True dat. I've had Guinness in Dublin and it far exceeds the pisswater we get in England, let alone the shite you probably get in the states. I was a bit miffed about Dublin though. I'd heard a lot of good things about it but I struggled to enjoy myself there and it was fucking expensive. 20 euros for two pints of Guinness and two shots of tequila, extortionate! I was also told by the taxidriver from Dublin airport to the hotel that we'd have loads of crack there but none ever materialised. Good crack too, apparently.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby UnHoly Bible » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:58 pm

drinking all day is considered alcoholism. However from experience, i can drink 12 beers a day for a couple weeks, and come off of it just fine. Just DON'T be drunk all day, that's where you run into big trouble with withdrawal. I remember making a thread like this here a while back, and boy was i ever innocent then lol. Don't forget of course, 12 beers a day will probably make you diabetic eventually.

Long story short, just don't be a drunk asshole and you will be fine.

Oh right favorite drink: probably the Innis & Gunn selection of beers.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 pm

what crack were you after?? :lol:

Dublin is a hole, same as Belfast. Tourist spots, rich areas and surburbia. Oh and riots and sectarianism. The true Ireland, where pints of Guinness at its normal price are the places that really make a visit be remembered for a lifetime. Towns that are made up of 3-4 names all put together, which no one really knows how to pronounce properly. Where poitín sits at the bar in a bottle, and the local cop will come in eating a bowl of stew and order a measure. Turf burning on the fire, and an old character at the bar smoking a pipe and reading the racing post. Thats what i will miss. Nicest pint of Guinness i ever had though was in Armagh City Centre, in a bar called Turners. Used to deliver new branded glasses to the place, and the barman always put me on a pint.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Your only an alcoholic if you need to have that beer. My dad goes weeks drinking at least one or two beers/ciders a day. Then he can go weeks drinking nothing and not feel the need for one at all. An alcoholic has to drink.

I've had sips here and there but I haven't really drank since Christmas. I only drink if I plan to get drunk since I prefer the taste of coke or some other drinks. I've been on night outs obviously but I'm more then happy to be the driver for the night. It's nice to be able to get up clear headed in the morning but it's also nice to get wankered.

I think the next night I have a proper drinking session I will get fucked quickly. I used to be able to drink like a king when I was younger. From about the age of 14-17 me and my friends would at least drink a whole bottle of Jack Daniels each on a Friday and sometimes Saturday night. Once we was able to get in pubs that died off quick.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby QWERTY » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Peter wrote: what crack were you after?? :lol:

Dublin is a hole, same as Belfast. Tourist spots, rich areas and surburbia. Oh and riots and sectarianism. The true Ireland, where pints of Guinness at its normal price are the places that really make a visit be remembered for a lifetime. Towns that are made up of 3-4 names all put together, which no one really knows how to pronounce properly. Where poitín sits at the bar in a bottle, and the local cop will come in eating a bowl of stew and order a measure. Turf burning on the fire, and an old character at the bar smoking a pipe and reading the racing post. Thats what i will miss. Nicest pint of Guinness i ever had though was in Armagh City Centre, in a bar called Turners. Used to deliver new branded glasses to the place, and the barman always put me on a pint.

I think he meant "craic". Whatever it was, we didn't find it. I'd like to do a proper Irish holiday. I went for my birthday with the missus in Jan 2010 and it was fucking freezing and, as previously said, ridonkulously expensive. We were looking for decent pubs the whole time we were there but the majority reminded me of some of the dumps you find in Amsterdam. I love Amsterdam, but that too is a place you really have to search high and low for a decent pub, especially one to do mushrooms in.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Yea, craic just means good banter, drinking to good health and end up shitfaced singing songs about cobbled street, Molly Malone and Gypsy Rovers. Dublin officially has more foreign immigrants in it than Irish people believe it or not. Its scary what that place has become. Anyone coming to visit Ireland i would say avoid Dublin unless you wanna do the real touristy stuff, and if you dont make 25k a year. But anyways:

Had a few of these about a month ago, and it was the nicest drink i have had in a long time. Looking into buying a bottle before i leave and sitting in to get bladdered with it!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic