Help buying a Tablet PC

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Help buying a Tablet PC

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks Mushua. Hmmm so Nexus is getting more support than i first gave it when looking around. Does it offer 3G support or is it just WiFi because with travelling (and getting a Vodafone sim card when i arrive in Oz) then it could factor into which one i get.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Peter wrote:Yea i was looking at the Nexus, which is great value, but the exclusion of a memory card slot for more memory really did put me off it. The 16g version would be a given. I dunno i could be persuaded to go for the Nexus tho :-k

Alot of people get hung up on those cards. It convient for some people but in real life youre not going to be watching 16gb or listening to 16gb worth of stuff all at once. Plug it into your computer and manage the content you will actually be using. Half the time my guess is you probably will be online anyways. I got a 16gb iPad and havent had any situation where i needed a sd card personally.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Hmmm. The only thing is too, is the Samsung Galaxy Tab is £30 cheaper at £170, whereas the Nexus is £200
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

The Tab 2 I can only really find for just under £199. It's 195 here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... =computers

Should you go with that Samsung are doing a cash back offer meaning you get £30 back bringing it down to £165. I recently did a cash back offer with them on a laptop and got it no hassle it just took awhile. You need to buy it by the end of the month.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tab2cashback/ ... o_20120802

Should you shop at Tesco you can get it for £198 plus the £30 cash back but also 1000 clubcard points.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/special-off ... 0080.promo

John Lewis also do it for the same price but you get a free 2 year warranty over the one year everyone else offers.

If you want I can look for some offers on the Nexus.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Peter
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Yea thats the cashback offer that Currys/PC World are doing on the Galaxy Tab 2 (in white as well) which works out the cheapest i can find on a manufacturer i trust. But yea check out the cheapest Nexus deals Riku.

EDIT: Fuck it, its ok Riku i bought the one i knew in my heart i wanted since i seen it - the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 16gb, with free official case, official 16gb MicroSD, official travel adaptor and also offical vehicle docking kit. I am happy :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Sorry for the bump, but i didnt wanna start a new topic.

Well i wasnt a tablet victim for long! First off, let me say that they are good things. But they are not for me. I dont know if its just me, but i need a keyboard so i am buying a netbook tomorrow. The one i have picked is on sale for £180, and for the price i will sell the tab for, i will be able to pocket over £100 in the process. The netbook is an ASUS, and has 1GB RAM 360g memory, 2 USB ports and best of all, full Windows 7.

Its the touchscreen keyboard just makes it almost impossible to type with the 2 handed standard keyboard fashion. Not only that, but i prefer a full Windows OS over Android also. Now dont get me wrong, i dont mind Android, but i also own a Samsung Galaxy II phone, and the tablet was just essentially a bigger phone! So in the end its a win win for me!! :D

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Haaaha I have a Samsung Galaxy II too. Although I think mine is smaller... and I think we've discussed this before.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Pete maybe a surface is more for you. I agree that it sucks for a full keyboard but I never expected it to replace it. To me I love it for some apps and not having to take a 10 pound laptop on the go. Been using it when I go somewhere for a day or so. Mom is taking hers to california this xmas instead of her laptop. Tablet is to me just good for secondary PC for short periods of time.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Aye if anything they are also a bit of a gimmik too. I had a look at the new Microsoft surface tablets, but i just know a Netbook is what i really should have went with. I am over the moon with it, and offers everything that the tablet offers and then a lot more. I guess its the users preference, but for a traveller, a netbook all the way.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 pm

I like these HP netbooks, they are pretty small, easily available and used ones cost not much more than a good french dinner for 2 persons.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Off Topic