Kirby

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Kirby

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:20 pm

I never played a game in the series. The pink puffball put me off. However I did pre order the 20th Ann collection to try the series out and thought not better way than with a collection. I'm not huge into platformers anymore and more an RPG person. Tho I still like a few like Klonoa & Sonic and of course older Mega Man games.

Anyone else tried this series or also was put off by aesthetics?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Kirby

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

I'd count myself as a fan, though maybe not an avid one. I haven't played that many in the series - they all kind of blend into one for me. Although one particular difference will always stand out.

The first Kirby game I played was on somebody else's NES, and I was hooked. I loved it so much that I immediately bought the Game Boy version and... it didn't let you absorb an enemy's ability when you ate them. That was a big disappointment at the time. I still enjoyed completing the game (they're not famed for their difficulty), but a big part of his gimmick was missing.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby OL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm really tempted by the 20th anniversary collection too. If it's out at the game shop tomorrow, I'll more than likely pick it up.
I think the only thing that ever put me off about Kirby was that it was a first-party Nintendo platformer. I'm very much not a Mario fan, nor do I like the Donkey Kong games, or Yoshi, or much else in the same vein. Most Ninty platformers just always struck me as the "bland and dusty" members of the platformer world, so to speak. So little about their personalities ever really appealed to me, and I guess that as a result, Kirby always got lumped into that group simply by way of association.
It wasn't until a little more recently that I randomly watched a video of one of the Kirby games (probably 64... not sure) and felt differently towards it than I ever do with other Nintendo platformers. It felt more like Klonoa, or (now that Segata mentioned it to me) Starfy, or a variety of other similarly-kooky and distinctly-Japanese games I've seen.
And I like that. Quite a lot.
So yeah, I may end up becoming a new fan. Same mindset as Ryudo; never tried it before, but what better way to try it out than with a collection of six games all in one place?
I think I'll enjoy them quite a bit.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I loved combining powers in the N64 version. I didn't care as much for the actual platforming bit (not that it was bad) but I was more interested in trying new combinations. Really fun game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Kirby 20th

Gotta say Nintendo did a great job with this collection. Book was fun to read. OST has a lot of tracks 40 some.
Disc has a cool section on the history of every game with a video and can view the box art in 3D at any angle. 3 episodes of the anime and a concert plus several games. I played some of the games and I like them. Enjoyable. Lot's of charm. It does kinda have a klonoa charm to it as well with a Nintendo flavor. I want to try the other 2 wii games now. Not a fave or anything but enjoyable and charming.

I would go and buy the two Wii games now if I could but me and my mom made a deal about the credit cards. So I have to buy in store if I can. Problem is I never see Yarn or Dreamland in stores. Either way I found a Nintendo IP I never played and like. I stopped liking Mario few years ago. Kirby seems different than other Nintendo Platformers.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm

I was actually really surprised when I was looking through the book (or maybe it was the manual) and saw the logos for all of the games in the series (not just the ones in the collection, but in the series as a whole).
Counted them up and there's, what... 21 games? Something like that?
A lot more than I ever would have guessed.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeah all the games. I had the opposite reaction thinking Nintendo would have made like 70 by now.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Yeah, they're pretty good at milking things sometimes.
I was just surprised because Kirby has never struck me as one of their most prominent series, so I figured on something more like... I dunno, about 10 or something. Just never payed attention I guess.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 pm

He's piiiiiiiink! I like kirby. I remember picking up dream land for the NES soon after getting the new type model top loader for $10 from KB toys near the end of the systems life and I loved it's appeal and simple charm. Maybe I'll take a peek at the set sometime. :)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:36 pm

You still have the top loader? Those are well sought after
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:43 pm

yep, in excellent shape too. Sadly it only has a RF unit output, like all units Nintendo shipped to retail. I hear people that sent them away for repair to Nintendo complaining about the video got units back upgraded with composite inputs. When even the baseline 2.0 model is rare, you know the variants with the better video output are the cream of the crop.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 pm

That's awesome. never get rid of it. Me personally have no desire to get one. I mean why grab another version of NES when I have an NES and can get a SEGA Master System instead? That's exactly what I did this month. :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:21 am

The nice thing about the top loader is it breathes new life into cartridges most would have written off. It doesn't bend the chips of the cart when inserted, nor does it have the security chip that must be in contact between the console and cart at all times or results in a blinking red light going on and off. It really is a durable, dust free machine. The thing that sucks about the oldschool model is Nintendo had to change the famicom model to a vhs style machine in order to manipulate retailers into thinking it wasn't just another gaming console. A pity the overhaul from the famicom model had so many issues.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Mine is still working like a charm.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Return to General Gaming