Interview with Yuzo Koshiro

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Interview with Yuzo Koshiro

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:02 am

1UP: I understand you have a very long history with music. Can you speak about how you first became involved with music, and how you knew that you wanted to make that your living?

YK: I started playing the piano when I was three. I started playing the violin when I was five. And my mother was a pianist. So that's how I started with music. But I wasn't thinking of finding a career in music at the time. I was more interested in creating games. I wanted to become a programmer. So when I was 18, during summer vacation, I was creating songs on my NEC PC-88. So I had a few songs there. And about that time, when I was looking through a PC magazine, I saw a recruitment ad from Falcom. Falcom happened to be close by. So I thought, since I'd created these songs too, maybe I'd apply to Falcom and see if I could join the company and create games with them. Then Falcom heard my music, and they just loved it. They used those songs for Xanadu Scenario II. That's how my game music career got started. From then until now, I've been making game music.

http://www.1up.com/features/keeping-cla ... -interview

One of my fave composers ever. I still retain his best work is Ys.

Rest of it in the link
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Interview with Yuzo Koshiro

Postby Thief » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:43 am

"I still retain his best work is Ys."

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to post that on these forums. Let me check... yeah, got a PM from Yama.

It says:
LAMEWAD, you're so cool. Just so you know, Yuzo Koshiro's best work is Shenmue. Anyone who says otherwise isn't welcome here! See you at the super awesome party this friday? Word.

Wish I was as cool as you,
Yama

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am

^ Lame
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:05 am

I know, right? These rules are harsh.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 pm

I think his best work is Actraiser myself. It's not just about how melodic the tunes are, but how incredibly well they fit with their settings and the overall vibe of the game itself.

I always knew he worked on Shenmue, but I actually have no idea which tracks he did. Last I remember (and this was years ago) no one was sure which composers worked on which tracks on the Shenmue OST.
Anyone care to shed some light?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm

OL wrote: I think his best work is Actraiser myself. It's not just about how melodic the tunes are, but how incredibly well they fit with their settings and the overall vibe of the game itself.

I always knew he worked on Shenmue, but I actually have no idea which tracks he did. Last I remember (and this was years ago) no one was sure which composers worked on which tracks on the Shenmue OST.
Anyone care to shed some light?

It was a team. Also had the composer from Daytona. Yuzo only did one piece I remember. His recent work he and a dozen other composers helped with great remixed on Smash Bros Brawl. Seriously that game has an amazing OST. Also if you read the interview He still uses PC 88 for composing. SNES was the hardest for him to work on.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Return to General Gaming