Games you periodically re-visit

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Games you periodically re-visit

Postby Birty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey all, just wondered if there is maybe that one game(s) that you all periodically come back to and play solid for a certain amount of time, then leave it again for a few months? Mine is Pharaoh, this game was released back in '99 but I literally still find it addictive to this day, but also it will come to a point where I will get bored of it and leave it another few months, then the urge will come back and I will literally play it solid again.

Is there any games that are like this for you all? Old school or modern...heck I even still sometimes get a crave to play an old Amiga or something, it's just the effort of setting it all up and what not.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Games you periodically re-visit

Postby OL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I get that urge at some point with, literally, almost any game I like. If I truly love a game, it's rare that I'll only play it during one period of time, and leave it alone forever afterward.

Narrowing it down is kind of difficult though.
Barring old 16-bit, 1-2 hour long games from my childhood (which I've been going back to for years and years, without fail), I always seem to find myself returning to the Onimusha and Tenchu series.
Parasite Eve has had the same effect as well (espicially since it's really short for an RPG, so it's easy to plow through for the story, then set down until the next time).
On the subject of current gen games, I tend to go back to The Club every so often just for a bit of self-challenging, high-score rampaging. I imagine I'll keep going back to it every so often for a very long time, too. It gets addicting when I really get into it.
I'll probably keep going back to Mirror's Edge too, just for the atmosphere and sheer enjoyability it has for me. Already gone through at least three distinct phases where Mirror's Edge was the perfect scratch for the itch I had at the time.

Man, I could sit here naming games all day. Bushido Blade, the Ratchet series, Breakdown, Otogi, Wind Waker (or Twilight Princess), Cybernator, Siren, etc etc, ad nauseum.
Basically if I like something, it counts. I go back to just about everything.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Obviously Shenmue.
Then:

Crazy Taxi
Power Stone 2
Super Mario RPG
Lumines
Pixel Junk Monsters
Final Fantasy 7
Halo 1
Star Wars KOTOR
7 Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries(old school pc rts)
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 am

Off the top of my head,

Goemon 64 its like one of those games I beat in a sitting its not really a challenge but its always a blast to go through it, maybe tomorrow while I wait for one piece to get put up I'll beat it.

Fire Emblem Thracia 776 aka Fire Emblem 5, thats another that I've gone through a million times.

Rent a Hero...duh.

For me Snes/Megadrive-n64/saturn/psx defines me as a gamer. Most of the games I replay hardcore are from that era.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 am

Shenmue 1 and II
Alan Wake
Mass Effect 1
Nights Into Dreams and Christmas Nights
The Hitman games.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Shenmue I and II when I had the consoles to play them on. (What a shame I only have a PS3, eh Sega.. ;-) )

Other than that, I play the Yakuza games over periodically to collect all the trophies I missed. I appreciate games much more when I take my time on things and not endlessly grind one after the next.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Pokemon Red, GTA: SA, the Splinter Cell games, Age of Empires II, Football Manager series, FIFA series, Fable series... basically any game I consider to be a favourite I'll revisit.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby wude » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 am

shenmue
pokemon gold
onimusha 3
outrun 2006
shaman king gba
zelda link's awakening
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 am

Just Cause 2. It's SO damned big and there's so much (optional) stuff to do, I can spend a few hours being a dick in that game, and barely make much of a difference to the world whilst I'm there, short of liberating a few villages and collecting a few collectibles...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am

Oh, another that should be mentioned: Ranger X.
Didn't get to play it until a couple of years ago, but now it's among my absolute favorites on the Genesis. And with so many games on the system that get me all bonerific with nostalgia, it's really saying something when one I'd never played before manages to make such a huge impact all these years later.
I've already gone back and played through it several times now, and I don't ever see that trend letting up.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Mostly my favourites like:

Shenmue I & II
MGS 1-3
Silent Hill 2
SMT3: Nocturne (which I am currently)
Final Fantasy Tactics - such an addictive game
Vagrant Story
Parasite Eve
Snatcher
Metal Gear AC!D 1 & 2
The Ys games
Final Fantasy XII (most addictive game, ever)
God Hand
Resi Evil 1, 2 & 3 (like crack; love seeing those glorious pre-rendered backgrounds, listen to the atmospheric music and the classic scenarios)
Nier
Front Mission 3
Breakdown (Xbox)
Call of Cthulhu
Treasure games: Sin & Punishment, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Mischief Makers etc.

A lotta games, really. I play them all whenever the mood is right. It's sorta what gets in the way of me playing new games; I'll play a new game and sometimes think like "well, this new game isn't that great, it's okay, but I'd rather be playing [insert game I love here] instead".

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Birty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Birty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Resi Evil 1, 2 & 3 (like crack; love seeing those glorious pre-rendered backgrounds, listen to the atmospheric music and the classic scenarios)

Exactly! Even though I have never owned a Sony console, part of me wishes I had a PS3 just to download all the classic RE's. Xbox Live doesn't offer them and it pees me off, to this day I could happily play through RE1 right through to CV again, just Microsoft will probs never offer them on Live (apart from CV).

Can I just ask randomly, all those who still play Megadrive/Genesis games...do you still play classic with a console and joypad or through emulators? To be fair, even though I own the console itself and the games I play on the emulator, I just go for emulator, it's less hassle. I haven't physically played on my Master System or Megadrive in years.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I play on the actual console. PC gamepads just don't offer the same feel as an actual Genesis or SNES controller in my hands, so I don't really mind the "hassle" of hooking them up all over again.
Kind of a purist, I guess. It just doesn't feel as "real" on an emulator to me either.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Birty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm

OL wrote: I play on the actual console. PC gamepads just don't offer the same feel as an actual Genesis or SNES controller in my hands, so I don't really mind the "hassle" of hooking them up all over again.
Kind of a purist, I guess. It just doesn't feel as "real" on an emulator to me either.

The only big thing I do like an emulator over the actual console for me, is that being in the UK and the whole 50Hz PAL, my Mega Drive games are notably slower...and I never realised what I was missing until I played the 60Hz version. Only a small thing...but it stands out like a sore thumb to me now, it's like playing something in slight slow motion.

Birty has received a thanks from: OL
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Goemon 64
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Mega Man Legends
Resident Evil 1/2/3