Gamesmasters Dominik Diamond doing Youtube game reviews

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Gamesmasters Dominik Diamond doing Youtube game reviews

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Good to see him back again, with his typical trademark comedy that made Gamesmaster great to watch back in the day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WS2XWdg_Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lerh8hardno[/youtube]

Peter has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Gamesmasters Dominik Diamond doing Youtube game reviews

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Funniest Gamesmaster moment by far!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEFr6ACZ8sI[/youtube]

QWERTY has received 2 thanks from: Peter, Who Really Cares?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Big time. Heres an interview with Dave Perry about it. Hilarious lol!

CH: People still talk about the moment you lost on Games Master. At the time you said you was set up. What was going through your head at the time? Were the tears real or just some expert acting?

Dave Perry: Tears? There weren't any tears that I remember. But I was majorly pissed off what had gone on that day. We were told that if we took part in the quiz and got through to the final, then there would be a play off on a neutral game. Probably a new version of WipeOut from Psygnosis. However, when I turned up on the day, the game had been changed suspiciously to Mario 64 on the N64. I had recently spoken out in the trade press saying that I would not play Mario 64 until it was released officially in the UK, as the amount of press attention the new Nintendo console was getting was ruining the Christmas games market in the UK. So everyone new I had not played this game as it was not due out in the UK until the next year.

When I enquired if any of the finalists had played the game, it turned out that only one had... host Dominik Diamond's best friend. Not only had he played it, he had been playing it constantly for the past few months and completed it a number of times as he was helping develop Earthworm Jim 3D. Hardly a neutral game.

When I complained to the Director, I was told not to worry because he would not get through to the final, and if he did, then the game would be changed. I should have smelled a rat.

So, I played on, and won every round. However, when we got to the semi-final, if you watch the whole show you will notice that at least one question comes up about Earthworm Jim! The game Dominik's friend was helping develop! Coincidence?

So now he's in the final against me, on a machine I've never played on, on a game I've never played, but he's been playing on for the past few months.

When I went to see the Director about his promise that this wouldn't happen, he simply told me that there wasn't time to change anything as the crew had all run over on their scheduled time and the final had to take place immediately. He also told me that if I walked I wouldn't be allowed to use the company's hire car that had brought me to the shoot and would have to get home on my own. I was in the middle of an industrial estate in London on a Saturday evening. There weren't even any cabs. I was f*cked.

Feeling set-up and really hard done by I decided to try and play my way out of it, but predictably lost by a couple of seconds. I felt betrayed that the show I'd helped create, and had served so loyally could do this to me. I should have reacted better, but I just wanted out. At least it made good TV. I quit the show there and then and never went back.

CH: What did you think of Mario 64 once you got a chance to play the full version?

Dave Perry: I've never played it. I have always hated those cutesy Nintendo games.

http://www.casuallyhardcore.net/2010/08 ... mesmaster/
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Jesus, what a plonker. I always thought the guy was a douche but still had a certain modicum of respect for him as I thought he was responsible for Cool Spot, Aladdin and Earthworm Jim, little did I know that he wasn't the David Perry. What kind of pleb wears a bandana and leather trousers unironically?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Yea, he owns a tattoo shop now i think. Proper went down the pan.

On a side note, been talking with Dominik on Facebook, and he said he reviewed Shenmue and criticized it big time, to which he got pelted majorly on the internet for. Trying to find out where he reviewed it (think it was in his show after Gamesmaster, "When Games Attack")
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:12 pm

^Yeah I remember seeing him talk about it on that show and he took the piss out of the voice acting big time. He hated Goro.

Always cool to see and hear from him. Such a shame he never did more then Gamesmaster he was a great presenter.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Peter wrote: Yea, he owns a tattoo shop now i think. Proper went down the pan.

On a side note, been talking with Dominik on Facebook, and he said he reviewed Shenmue and criticized it big time, to which he got pelted majorly on the internet for. Trying to find out where he reviewed it (think it was in his show after Gamesmaster, "When Games Attack")

Yeah I saw that episode and he did pan it flat out. It was also included in one of their lists, something like "Top 5 Boring/Dull Games Ever".

Check this video out at around the 4:08 mark. It's fair to say that DD wasn't Dave Perry's fan for quite some time! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adf0i11w_5c[/youtube]
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Awesome stuff. I ripped every Gamesmaster episode to my hard drive so i will always own them, cuz lets face it, they will never release a DVD set.

Also i said to DD for his next game review video he should do Shenmue. With the comedy innuendos etc, it would be perfect for ripping the pish outta.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 am

The Perry vid never gets old.

Would be cool if they started doing GM on youtube. We have had a few shows since it ended but all sucked so badly.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Neo Matrix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Peter wrote: Awesome stuff. I ripped every Gamesmaster episode to my hard drive so i will always own them, cuz lets face it, they will never release a DVD set.
Any way anyone can get a copy of those episodes? I loved that show and miss it... :sad:
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Peter wrote: Awesome stuff. I ripped every Gamesmaster episode to my hard drive so i will always own them, cuz lets face it, they will never release a DVD set.
Any way anyone can get a copy of those episodes? I loved that show and miss it... :sad:

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/gamesmaster ... p?f=36&t=9
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 am

Anyone remember the GamesMaster magazine? That was a great multi-format read back in the day as well.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Anyone remember the GamesMaster magazine? That was a great multi-format read back in the day as well.

It's still going. Yeah it was a good read, although I always had a penchant for CVG at the time.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:05 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Anyone remember the GamesMaster magazine? That was a great multi-format read back in the day as well.

Used to read that religiously. In some cases I think they took money for good reviews though..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 pm

QWERTY™ wrote:

It's still going. Yeah it was a good read, although I always had a penchant for CVG at the time.

Yeah they bought it back a year or so ago.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Return to General Gaming