720p

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

720p

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Reading some forums some people seem to hate their 360/PS3 because it's stuck on 720P. Now being totally new to having HD the top I have seen on my TV is 1080i from Programming. However it was compressed due to being a basic cable. PS3 to me looks great in 720P but again not seen full 1080P yet on this TV. Wii U is native at 1080P and sure all next gen systems will be.

Question is does it bug you that consoles are still 720P?

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: 720p

Postby Spokane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:39 pm

No. In fact I was recently surprised to see a game was only 720 after playing it because it looked like 1080 to me.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Bluecast wrote: Reading some forums some people seem to hate their 360/PS3 because it's stuck on 720P. Now being totally new to having HD the top I have seen on my TV is 1080i from Programming. However it was compressed due to being a basic cable. PS3 to me looks great in 720P but again not seen full 1080P yet on this TV. Wii U is native at 1080P and sure all next gen systems will be.

Question is does it bug you that consoles are still 720P?

Buy some blu-rays and you can enjoy 1080p in all its glory! or play the few games on PS3 that are actually 1080p compatible, only one i know of is ff13, and well, that would be like wishing death on you.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby silent killer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 am

do you mean games only support 720P because the last time I checked, about a week ago, when I hooked up my xbox to my new tv it had viewing settings for 1080P. That and some of the apps in xbox marketplace have 1080p content, which would be a waste if it couldn't play them.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 am

The main issue people have is many big games are not even 720p ;-) If next gen consoles cant have every game running atleast at 720p it will be a bad joke.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby lavrentis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:02 am

It did kinda bug me I guess but probably just a hardware limitation
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Right, well there's two things to be said, here.

Bluecast wrote:Reading some forums some people seem to hate their 360/PS3 because it's stuck on 720P. Now being totally new to having HD the top I have seen on my TV is 1080i from Programming. However it was compressed due to being a basic cable. PS3 to me looks great in 720P but again not seen full 1080P yet on this TV. Wii U is native at 1080P and sure all next gen systems will be.

If that's true, your television is not a 1080p set, only a 1080i set. Huge difference. 1080p refers to 'progressive-scan', whereby the entire screen is refreshed all at one. No alternating lines, no strobing, combing or flickering. Just a whole new image every frame. 1080i refers to 'interlaced', whereby half of the image is refreshed every frame in alternating lines. So, row 1, row 3, row 5, etc etc. Then on the next frame, the rows of pixels that were not updated in the last frame have their turn.

Interaced video was developed in order to save bandwidth when television was an emergent-technology. This produces the famous 'combing' effect. Now, there are various 'de-interlacing' algorithms about (your set almost certainly has one, Ryudo), but in this day and age they're meant simply to clean up broadcast television, the vast majority of which is broadcasted as interlaced video, and also serve to make some older interlaced DVDs prettier.

You'd be better off setting your TV to 720p, Ryudo. 1080i sounds higher, but really you're only getting half that in every frame. At least with 720p you're getting a pure image, without having to worry about extra processing being done to deinterlace the image, robbing you of valuable response time.

Combing;

As a matter of technicality, LCD and OLED screens are incapable of displaying true interlaced video. All such televisions convert the image to progressive scan in order to display it. The question is one of processing, and if so, the quality of that processing. No deinterlacing or bad deinterlacing means that you'll still see the combing, it'll just be sent to your eyes as two interlaced, combed frames being sent as one.

Of course, regardless of the quality of processing, there is always artifacting from deinterlacing. Another reasons why 720p would be the better choice for you, Ryudo.

Bluecast wrote:Question is does it bug you that consoles are still 720P?

Nope, and I own a proper 1080p set. There's something crucial here that you must understand in order to make sense of any of this. There's 'native rendering resolution', and 'final scaled resolution'. Now, both 360 and PS3 can upscale any resolution to 1080p. This is why there's always a "Supports 1080p" on the back of every game box. It doesn't mean the games are 1080p, it means that they can scale to that resolution.

For a ballpark figure, most retail/disc games for PS3/360 render natively at or around 720p. In the early days, the PS3 version of the same game would sometimes incur a drop in native resolution (GTA IV on 360 - 720p, on PS3- 640p). This is less the case, now. The point here is that retail games for those consoles almost never render natively at 1080p. I can think of one occasion where a disc game did - Virtua Fighter 5.

Call of Duty is an excellent example. Ever since COD4, it has rendered natively at 600p. Probably the lowest this gen has ever provided in a retail game (and a big reason why it runs at 60fps). So you're playing your 600p game on your console set to 1080p, on your 1080p television. The game leaves the rendering phase producing a 600p image, the console than upscales this image to 1080p. Your television displays it, being none-the-wiser.

Now, it's not quite that simple. The 360 has a dedicated scaling component, whereas the PS3 does not. Some people prefer to set their PS3s to 720p, believing that their television does a better job of scaling. Which they will do, by the way. Your TV scales everything that does not fit it's resolution.

It's still good to have a 1080p set, though. Blu-rays are native to this resolution, and look amazing. Also, while true 1080p 360/PS3 retail games are thin on the ground, the same cannot be said of XBLA/PSN games. Many of the simpler ones or 2D ones are the full-fat 1080p. Even some polygonal ones. WipeOut HD is one of the top of my head. Oh, Tekken 5 Online Edition is 1080p native, as well. Perfect Dark XBLA, the Banjo-Kazooie games from XBLA. The list goes on.

In short, no I'm not bothered that the majority of my games aren't using my television to it's full potential. Why? Because a nicely upscaled 600p still looks way better than a blurry 480i, if you ask me. A large chunk of my PS3/360 stuff (when taking the downloadable games into account) does in fact render natively at 1080p, and so I'm glad to have a nice set which supports that. Which is to say nothing of Blu-rays. Blade Runner on Blu-ray in 1080p looks so gorgeous.

Martin has received 3 thanks from: Peter, silent killer, Who Really Cares?
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Peter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Fantastic post sir. There were things in there i wasnt even aware of! Makes a lot of stuff i was wondering sound more sensinle. Cheers Martin! :nice!:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm

It is 1080P.

My HDMI cable is cheap I got for a Penny and found out it's old but have proper 1.4 in the mail on the way. The Cable won't go past 720P. The TV is 1080P. Reason I only see a compressed 1080I on the TV signal is it's through the RF unit as I have free basic cable and as you know they have to compress it.. So no cable box,just straight from the wall to the TV. The whole building has free basic cable
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Well damn, that's one archaic HDMI cable you have there! My PS3 HDMI is from GAME (defunct UK video game retailer) the day that I bought my PS3. It cost £4, and does 1080p beautifully. DOn't be conned into buying these uber-expensive gold plated ones and what not. You'll only see gains with these cables if sending the signal a long distance (say, from one end of your house to the other). If it's just a 2 meter cable, get a cheap one. You'd struggle to buy one new now that doesn't support 1080p.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I have had a rule since 2005. Never pay more than 10$ for a cable. I learned that as in 2002 I bought a new Sony TV but the retailer got me to buy 60$ Monster Cable S video. In 2005 it went out. I replaced it with a cable I got for 8$ and it still works but had to retire it the other day. Since then I have had nothing but good things with cheaper cables. Rarely this being one of them has it let me down but when it does it's not a big deal as I can just replace it easy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Bluecast wrote: Reading some forums some people seem to hate their 360/PS3 because it's stuck on 720P. Now being totally new to having HD the top I have seen on my TV is 1080i from Programming. However it was compressed due to being a basic cable. PS3 to me looks great in 720P but again not seen full 1080P yet on this TV. Wii U is native at 1080P and sure all next gen systems will be.

The wii u may not be native 1080p for every game, it may only have 1080p capability for those developers that opt to make it work with their games.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-missio ... m=facebook

Considering how the next gen of consoles will not nearly offer the leap in power under the hood over the present gen that it preceded, mandating every game offer 1080p while still offering a step up in graphics was probably a pipe dream. As for me, I don't really mind. So long as the games are rendered in at least 720p and not something even lower that is later upscaled, like Halo 3. 720p scales well to a 1080p screen. 480p with widescreen however looks very blurry and fuzzy however, making most Wii games look like crap on modern televisions.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Sonikku wrote:The wii u may not be native 1080p for every game, it may only have 1080p capability for those developers that opt to make it work with their games.

Well I saw that coming a while ago. The Wii U is basically PS3/360-equivalent, just as the Wii was basically GameCube-level tech. Yes, some licensees will want to make a fuss about what's under the hood of the 'U (because Nintendo won't talk about it), but they did that too with the original Wii. Look what happened there. A month before it's successor arrives, and the new games still look like PS2-era.

Considering that 360/PS3 don't have many true 1080p games at retail, neither will the Wii U. Old tech, old news. If you can't be bothered to read my link, it basically states that the 'U is thoroughly current-gen.

Sonikku wrote:Considering how the next gen of consoles will not nearly offer the leap in power under the hood over the present gen that it preceded, mandating every game offer 1080p while still offering a step up in graphics was probably a pipe dream.

Rumours abound that the next Xbox will have a 16-core PowerPC CPU, coupled with the latest and greatest AMD GPU. Word is that PS4 is going to be even stronger than that. These are just rumours of course, and we'll see in due time. However, given that a gaming PC from a few years back exhibits graphical capabilities far in advance of anything on 360/PS3, even when ultimately running the same games.. yeah.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you've wholly swallowed the Nintendo party line that "graphical progress has stopped". You don't have to look far to see that this is wrong. In addition to the fact that power doesn't need to all go towards graphics. I look forward to the advanced physics and AIs of next gen, something the Wii U won't be able to match. It's not just graphics!

Sonikku wrote:As for me, I don't really mind. So long as the games are rendered in at least 720p and not something even lower that is later upscaled, like Halo 3. 720p scales well to a 1080p screen. 480p with widescreen however looks very blurry and fuzzy however, making most Wii games look like crap on modern televisions. [/color]

Depends on your own perception, and also your television. About the only thing I think isn't improved on HDTV is stuff like genuine Mega Drive. I hooked mine up a while back, and fuck me does it look like LEGO!
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Well that article is wrong. It's CPU is a bit Weak but has a much better GPU than either current gen HD systems. In fact it can run Unreal Engine 4 according to EPIC,Niether PS3 or 360 can do. It's actually a GPGPU and uses a modified chip that's based on a AMD GPU from the evergreen series.. It's also very ram heavy. 32 edram compared to 360's 10. 2GB of main ram but 1GB dedicated to the OS. WiiU might not be on par with PS4/720 but def a few steps above PS3/360.
Another reason it won;t be just a Nintendo 360 is Wii just took existing hardware from Gamecube overclocked it. They don't have that option now.

This will tell more about the systems structure
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview ... onsole/0/0

These are specs supposedly the final product not a unfinished dev kit
http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-system-specs/

As for older systems. Big reason why many collectors me included keep a CRT around the most popular are Sony XBR or Flat CRT Trinitrons. I have the latter. Makes those older games look really good esp 16 bit games.

The rumors about 720 16 cores and such as total BS. Too cost heavy for consumers to be true otherwise those consoles will fail. You can't have another 599$ or more
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 am

People before i post this let me say that i dont remember where/who i heard this from or if its even true. if someone wants to look it up to give my post credibility that would be great cus im to lazy to do so. but i THINK 1080p in gaming this gen is a "forced upscale" from 720P that ends up looking just like 720p anyways. so those few apps out there and games and movies that say full 1080p its just a "forced upscale" thats changes nothing. next gen will be true 1080p. but again let me add i dont remember where/who i heard this from or if its even true.

EDIT: i have a 1080p 120 hz LCD tv but i dont know why i spent the money on it cus at the end of the day 720p? 480p? 19279713223923p? or just black and white??? fuck it just let me play my game! :P

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to General Gaming